Search for content in message boards

Murphy/Keane of Knocknagoshel/Brosna

Nora Lane

Dan Murphy (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Murphy, Lane, Keane, Hickey, Ahern, Curtin, O'Connor, Downey
My grandmother, Nora Lane Murphy, was the daughter of Aeneas Lane and Bess Ahern Nolan. Grandparents were William Lane and his wife Johanna Curtin Lane as well as Michael Ahern and his wife Mary O'Connor Ahern. Everybody was from either Knocknagoshel, Brosna, or Castleisland, CO Kerry. Nora was raised in Toureenard, Knocknagoshel, and had four brothers, one sister, and two half sisters. Her mothers first husband, Mr. Nolan, had died young. Brothers were William, John, Michael, and Aeneas Lane. Sister was Ellie Lane. Half sisters were Hannah and Mary Nolan. Nora is buried with my grandfather, Maurice Murphy in the cemetery of the Catholic Church in Mt Collins, CO Limerick. I scrubbed their grave for two hours this past June. Tell me I did a great job!

nora lane

Edited: 28 Jun 2001 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: lane, hallisey
hi
who are the parents and gparents of nora lane plus her siblings.?????
r

Murphy/Keane of Knocknagoshel/Brosna

Dan Murphy (View posts)
Surnames: Murphy, Keane, Lane, Hickey, Downey, O'Connor, Curtin, Ahern
ALL the Murphy's of Knocknagoshel are related. Original Murphy was Timothy. My GGGrandfather was Maurice Murphy,
who was married to the former Mary Hickey of Meenleitrim. They had four children; Maurice( who inherited Keane farm in
Brosna)m. Ellen Fitzgerald, Michael (inhertied Murphy farm in Knocknagoshel) m. Ellen Sullivan, Mary m.Gleeson, and my
GGrandfather Daniel (1846-1901), shoemaker in Knocknagoshel, who married the former Ellen Keane (1848-1934), who
was from Mounteagle, Brosna. They had eleven children including Rev. Daniel Murphy (1890-1988), Provincial of The Holy
Ghost Fathers, past President of Rockwell College, and Procurator General for the Order to the Vatican for three different
Popes. One daughter was Margaret (Peggy) Nolan who lived in Knocknagoshel till the ripe old age of 99 in 1986. Another son
was my grandfather Maurice (1872-1946) who after spending ten years in NYC (1893-1903), and earning a nursing degree
from Manhattan State Hospital in 1899, returned to Ireland, married the former Minnie Scanlon of Knocknagoshel and settled
on a farm in Knockawarriga, Mt. Collins, CO Limerick, which is just across the river from Knocknagoshel. When Minnie died
while giving birth to their third child, Maurice married the former Nora Lane of Toureen NA Blath, Brosna, Co Kerry. They
had nine children including my mother Kathleen Murphy, who emigrated to Long Island,NY in Dec. 1947.
Any information on descendents of Mary Gleeson, Michael, and Maurice Murphy would be appreciated. Would also like to
know about siblings and parents of both Maurice Murphy and his wife Mary Hickey. I'll be in Ireland for fourweeks beginning
2-17-99. would love to meet up with some long lost relatives. I'm Buying!
Posted: 6 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Jun 2001 11:52PM GMT
Surnames: lane
hi
you did a great job. am looking for ward to visiting ire. too.
i will cont to try to find a connection.
thanks Rosemary

KEANE

Anne Sadrakula (View posts)
Posted: 21 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Keane, White, Connors
I am responding because of the prolific use of the name MAURICE in your Murphy family. You mention one that inherited a KEANE farm but a marriage with a KEANE is not mentioned until a generation later with an ELLEN KEANE. Was there a connection between the MURPHY and KEANE families before this marriage?
My great-grandfather was MAURICE KEANE who was born circa 1865. His obit states Parish Castlemahon as where he was from (Not necessarily his birth-place, I guess). Maurice married a Bridget WHITE whose parents were John WHITE and Bridget CONNORS.
Do you have any other info on the KEANE relationships? I have no clue as to who the parents of Maurice KEANE are until I get his death certificate. (In about 2 months, if I'm lucky!!- Chicago!!). Anything at all would be appreciated.
Anne

Re: Nora Lane

Posted: 20 Feb 2010 3:51AM GMT
Surnames: ahern lyne maculiffe nolan ellen kirby
Hi Could you help at all
My great granmother was Honorah Lyne born round 1815 married michael ahern born round 1811-1815. married before 1843 had catherine ahern and mary ahern mary was born in 1842 i beleive catherine to be older than mary.
there were also many nolans at mary aherns childrens baptisms all to be from castleisland.
I know michael and honora were still alive in 1866 as they were at mary aherns childrens baptisms this was at a place called woodview in castleisland , the next baptism was at annabeg and ahanebee castleisland and knockakip castleisland. looking for graves for michael and honorah
and also any nolans that may be connected as I know there is a connection some where. mary ahern married cornelius mcauliffe in 1865 they left castleisland in 1874 and came to new zealand.
any help would be much apreciated .
please email me at blubird73@hotmail.com
if any one has connections to the above or can help with cemetary lookups
best regards patrina

Posted: 6 Jan 2012 5:25AM GMT
hi my great grandparents were william lane and johanna curtin from brosna .dont know if they are the same he was born about 1850? any connection?

Posted: 7 Jan 2012 10:12PM GMT
Hi Aileen -- your William Lane was son of Daniel William Lane who farmed in Inchinapoagh, Brosna Parish int he 1850's

Re: Murphy/Keane of Knocknagoshel/Brosna

Posted: 15 Dec 2012 12:38AM GMT
Surnames: Murphys
Hi
Was there a Batholomew Murphy in the family, who married an Elizabeth Ahern from Rooska East Co Limerick Ireland Childrens name were Johanna John and Denis DOB around 1901 - 1904 & 1906 some of them were born in America, Bartholemew Murphy came from Meenlietrim Knocknagoshel Co Kerry, and he had a brother FR Dan Murphy who is my Granduncle and is buried in the graveyard in Knocknagoshel Co Kerry Ireland
Cheers
Eileen (HM)

Re: Murphy/Keane of Knocknagoshel/Brosna

Posted: 26 May 2014 8:58PM GMT
I ordered a death certificate that didn’t help me much. I found this thread and thought it may be helpful to someone.

District of Ardagh in the Union of Newcastle in the County of Limerick.
02 JUN 1880
Denis Ahern
Rooska
Widower
Age about 65 years
Informant was Timothy Lane, Occupier, Present at death
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions