Search for content in message boards

John QUIGLEY son of Malachy QUIGLEY

John QUIGLEY son of Malachy QUIGLEY

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 4:52PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: QUIGLEY, MORRISSY/MORRISSEY
I am descended from John QUIGLEY & Ann MELVERN (Nancy), per family-made pedigree and family group sheets. The diary of their son, John Philip, gives his father, John's, birthplace as Clooney Parish, Ireland. John & Nancy Ann's marriage record gives the father of John as Malachy QUIGLEY, a stonemason. Malachy's wife is said to be Mary MORRISSY or MORRISSEY.

Is anyone familiar with this family?

I have found, in an index of the County Clare Tithe Applotment books, a Malachy QUIGLY as an occupier of land in Clooney in 1825, but no details are included to confirm or disprove whether this is my Malachy.

John QUIGLEY died when his daughter, Margaret, was two years old, according to descendent-made biographies. His widow, Nancy Ann and children, John and Margaret, are living in Walmgate, York in 1861 with a COSGRAVE family to whom their relationship is not specified. A Hugh QUIGLEY is shown on the same page. Further tracing reveals that the COSGRAVEs and Hugh's son are all from Clare, Ireland.

John & Nancy Ann's son, John Philip QUIGLEY emigrated to America in 1870, along with his mother. Margaret emigrated to America in 1869.

Any information/advice welcome and appreciated!

Re: John QUIGLEY son of Malachy QUIGLEY

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 8:51PM GMT
Hi,
Malachy Quigley was shown to be occupying land in the townland of Knockanoura, Clooney-Quin Parish in the Tithe Applotment Books of 1825. In the absence of Census Records for that time period in Ireland the Tithes act as a Census Substitute in that it lists the head of household ineach townland who were subject to the Tithes or Taxes. The next Census Substitute was the Griffith's Land Valuation of 1855 where a Thomas Quigley was shown to be occupying land in Knockanoura, Clooney-Quin Parish. It's highly probable that this Thomas is the son of Malachy who would have inherited the land when Malachy died and probably a brother of your John Quigley who married Ann Melvern.
Thomas Quigley married an Anne Pilkington and they had at least 4 or 5 children, John 1860, Bridget 1864, Mary 1866, Ellen 1868 & Eliza 1870. The family was still living in Knockanoura in 1901, see Census on the Clare Library website www.clarelibrary.ie. Thomas was dead by then as his wife Anne was shown to be a widow, and living with her was John, Bridget & Ellen. It would appear that John, Bridget & Ellen never married as they were all shown to be still single 10 years later in the 1911 Census.That leaves Mary & Eliza who may have married or may have died.
The oldest church records available in Co.Clare are for Clooney-Quin Parish which date back to 1816 so you are in luck there and may be able to hire a microfilm copy of the records from your nearest family history centre FHL British Film No.926096 births 1816 to 1880 and marriages 1833 to 1880.
Hope this information helps you in yor resarch.
Regards from Co.Clare Your Ancestral Home.

Posted: 10 Apr 2012 9:58PM GMT
Thank you, is it PJ? I appreciate your kind reply. :)

Irish records are new to me. Since the Tithe Applotment books only record head of household, can you tell me whether there is typically any other information contained in the full record (I've only seen the index entry) which can confirm whether this Malachy QUIGLY or QUIGLEY is actualy mine, rather than some other Malachy QUIGLEY? For example, son John's marriage record says Malachy is a stonemason. Would a detail like that be included?

I've noticed other researchers think John does have a brother, Thomas, but I've yet to learn why they believe this. Perhaps you've just explained. John's son, John Philip, was born in York, Yorkshire, England in 1853, so John wouldn't have been around for the Griffith Valuation in Ireland 1855.

Would seeing the complete record of each, Tithe Applotment and Griffith Valuation allow me to determine whether it's the exact same plot of land in both accountings?

I'll definitely look into the film and census records you suggest. I can only assume that the famine had something to do with John leaving Ireland. I've done some reading about it and understand that County Clare was particularly hard-hit, not only in the level of starvation the people suffered but also in the number of families forcibly evicted from their homes by the land owners. I have seen some "eviction lists" online, but found no Malachy QUIGLEY among those listed.

Thank you again so much!

Debra

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 1:45AM GMT
There is a very nice webpage that you may want to look at as it has many Quigley family photographs.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~johnbquigley/QuigleyInfo.htm

Good Luck with your research.

Tom Hickey

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 12:00PM GMT
Interested in the Anne Pilkington you mention as marrying Thomas Quigley. Do you know anything further about her -parents names or location, etc? I am exploring all Pilkington links in Clare.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 3:35PM GMT
Thank you, Tom. I doesn't appear that my QUIGLEYs connect into that line, but I appreciate your post. :)

Have a splendid day!

Debra

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 4:12PM GMT
Concur - different county - same names - nice pictures.

Note: Interesting that the Mescall line in this webpage are from Clare, even saw my great great grandparents (they are Carrigs from Teernagloghane, Cooraclare) as Baptism sponsors.

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 6:33PM GMT
The only other detail in the Tithes is the amount of acreage Malachy was leasing.The people at that time didn't own their own land, they leased from a Landlord. I would say that this Malachy Quigly/Quigley is definately yours as their was no other Malachy Quigley recorded in Co.Clare at that time. I would also say that Thomas is his son and inherited the lease.
If you go to the Clare Library website and print off the residents of Knockanoura townland in the Tithes and then print off the residents of the Griffith's and compare both you will see a pattern emerge where the family names remain the same but the first names change. We will also probably see that some family names dissappear which would indicate they were wiped out in the famine
Go to the following link and you can get more detail for Thomas Quigley in the Griffith's Land Valuation. you will see that he was leasing 10 acres of Land which was a lot since a lot of families only had one acre.
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?a...=

The key to your research is the Parish Records dated from 1816.
Good luck with your research

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 6:43PM GMT
Hello Katrina,
No I don't know who Anne Pilkington's parents were but you might try the following link for some Pilkington baptism's in Clare
https://www.familysearch.org/search/records/index#count=20&a...

Posted: 11 Apr 2012 6:45PM GMT
Thank you again, PJ, for your advice. Much appreciated. Will see if the parish records are "in stock" or must be ordered for my local FHC. Ten acres...huh. Wonder why John left.

Have a splendid rest of the week!

Debra
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions