Search for content in message boards

HOOKER

Posted: 15 Mar 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 7 Sep 2001 4:16PM GMT

Looking for any information on Hardy HOOKER. Hardy and his two brothers John and Edward ran away from a stepmother that was mistreating them, and left England in or around 1780. They went to Mass to live with a near relative. Eventuall y they came south and John and Edward lived in Lexingtion County and Hardy ended up in North Carolina, supposedly in Anson County and maybe in Craven County. John was my ggg grandfather. I would like to know more about Hardy, John and Edward. I do know John (Jr ? b. feb 14, 18006 - d. Jan 17, 1897,) my gg grandfather , married Martha Ann Ellender ? (maiden name unknown) and had 10 children: Henry B, ( my G grandfather), James A. O., Martha Ann, Malissa,, Mary, Emeline, John L., George W., Rachel W., and Daniel E

Will appreciate any help..

Re: HOOKER

Posted: 25 Oct 2005 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: Hooker
Al,

I saw this post and know that it is old....but hopefully you still will get this. Hardy Hooker was my husbands g-great grandfather. He has some info and would greatly like to contact you.

Posted: 23 Apr 2009 4:45AM GMT
Surnames: HOOKER, GREENE, ARMSTRONG, BENTON, BELGEN, BROWN, BUTLER, COVINGTON, CURTIS, EVANS, FREEMAN, HAMER, MANN, SESSUMS, SISEMORE, WALL
I believe it is likely that you have information confused about two different individuals named HARDY HOOKER as the HARDY HOOKER of Anson County was not from Massachusetts or New England (There is another Hardy Hooker who is found in the records of Maine to whom your reference to a Hardy Hooker with brothers John and Edward may refer.)

HARDY HOOKER of Anson County was born in Bertie County, North Carolina. His tombstone located in Anson County states that he died January 23, 1840 at the age of 81 years and 8 months. His father BENJAMIN HOOKER’s Last Will and Testament (written 5 June 1773) names HARDY as one of nine children (The others being JOHN HOOKER, JAMES HOOKER, ELISHA HOOKER, BENJAMIN HOOKER, FREEMAN HOOKER, DAVID HOOKER, SARAH HOOKER, CORA HOOKER and HULDA (or HUELDY) HOOKER. BENJAMIN’s wife was listed in the Will as “ANN.” Available records would appear to indicate that the two eldest children, HARDY HOOKER and JOHN HOOKER were from BENJAMIN HOOKER’s first marriage, that to HANNAH GREEN and the remaining children are from a second marriage, that to an ANN FREEMAN.

HANNAH GREEN(E), according to a coroner’s report for Bertie County dated 31 January 1760, states Hannah had drowned herself in a well at the home of Benj. Hooker at 2 pm on 28 January 1760. Her father THOMAS GREEN’s Will and Testament (dated 7 October 1760 and entered into court records on 14 April 1762) names son-in-law BENJAMIN HOOKER; A daughter-in-law HANNAH GREEN (She should not be confused with BENJAMIN HOOKER’s wife and THOMAS GREEN’s daughter HANNAH (GREEN) HOOKER who was already deceased at the time of the writing of her father’s Will and Testament. The daughter-in-law HANNAH GREEN was the wife of THOMAS GREEN’s son THOMAS GREEN), and five “LIVING” children, i.e., JOHN, JOSEPH, ANN, ELIZABETH and SARAH. (The son JOSEPH GREEN was one of the Executors of the Will and Testament of BENJAMIN HOOKER.)

BENJAMIN HOOKER in turn was the son of GODFREY HOOKER. BENJAMIN was one of three children named in the Will and Testament (written 2 April 1729) of GODFREY HOOKER, which also named GODFREY’s wife as ELIZABETH (Evans?). (The other two children named were SYMON HOOKER (Simon) and ELIZABETH HOOKER.

GODFREY (or GODFREE or GODPHREY, etc.) HOOKER was the son of WILLIAM HOOKER, Sr. of Chowan Pct., Albermarle (old) County, Province of North Carolina who was apparently formerly of Virginia. WILLIAM HOOKER, Sr.’s Will and Testament was written 8 January 1716/17 and recorded in the October 1717 term of Chowan Court. Letters of Execution were dated 14 July 1718. The document lists sons WILLIAM HOOKER, Jr. (eldest) and GODFREE HOOKER; daughters ANN EVANS, BRIDGETT MANN, MARGARET LEWIS, JANE BROWN, and ELIZABETH SISEMORE; son-in-law SAMUEL SISEMORE; and grandson WILLIAM LEWIS. Witnesses were WM CRAWFORD and FRANCIS BROWN.

WILLIAM HOOKER, SR. is believed to have had two wives: BRIDGETT FOYE who died ca. 1690/91 and ANN ___________ who died ca. 1700. Of his daughters, ANN HOOKER is believed to have married a ROBERT EVANS; BRIDGETT HOOKER married THOMAS MANN, JR., MARGARET HOOKER married a LEWIS, possibly JACOB LEWIS, but of this I am not confident; JANE HOOKER married FRANCIS BROWN; and ELIZABETH HOOKER married twice, first to SAMUEL SISEMORE and 2nd to __________ SESSUMS.

WILLIAM HOOKER SR. is probably the WILLIAM HOOKER who listed in the Militia for Surry County, Virginia in 1687. WILLIAM is probably the son of yet an earlier WILLIAM HOOKER and the line may trace back to the early Jamestown, Virginia settlement where a WILLIAM HOOKER received a land grant on James City Island in 1657. However, it should be noted that there were other early HOOKER settlers in Virginia too including THOMAS HOOKER who was transported in 1643, ROBERT HOOKER in 1653, and EDWARD HOOKER who patented land on James City Island in 1683, among others.

HARDY HOOKER himself had a large family too. He married DELILAH FLAKE (circa 1777-5 January 1845), daughter of SAMUEL FLAKE (d. 1802) of Anson County, and formerly of Orange County and the Granville District of North Carolina.

I do not know if DELILAH FLAKE was HARDY HOOKER’s only wife, or not. The estimated date of birth of his daughter SARAH HOOKER (wife of Abram Belgen) is around 1793 and the son SAMUEL C. HOOKER’s date of birth is given as 24 August 1795, so if DELIAH was HARDY’s only wife, she married at young age, around 16. (Not uncommon for the period, but still the date of birth does beg the question if she were HARDY’s first wife. However, the date of birth, taken from her tombstone, could of course also be incorrect and so also could be the estimated date of birth for SARAH HOOKER.) HARDY HOOKER had 9 known children: SARAH HOOKER (wife of ABRAM BELGEN); SAMUEL C. HOOKER (md. three times - MARY BENTON, ZILIPAH BUTLER, and SARAH M. ARMSTRONG, respectively); WILLIAM B. HOOKER (md. HARRIETT LILES); HANNAH HOOKER who married ELIJAH COVINGTON; JANE HOOKER who married JOB H. CURTIS [son of ELIJAH CURTIS, Sr. (d. 1818) and SARAH (HAMER) CURTIS (d. 1835)]; MARY HOOKER; JEMIMA HOOKER (md. WILLIAM BUTLER); BENJAMIN GRAHAM HOOKER who married SUSAN WALL; and JAMES HOOKER (some researchers show he married SUSAN WALL HOOKER, widow of his brother BENJAMIN G. HOOKER.).

...Jay

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 11:38AM GMT
Thank you, jaystein! Excellent info and as far as can be determined very accurate.
I am a descendant of Godfrey's brother William, Jr. (sons of the so-called William I)
Some of us having been trying to help other Hooker descendants and have joined the Hooker Family DNA project. So far at least 3 distinctive Hooker haplogroups have been verified.

Anyone posting here with possible info on these lines????

Robert, William, Samuel Hooker of the 1700s in Patrick County, VA

William and Jerusha Lawson Hooker--Halifax CO, VA to Surry, NC to Stokes CO, NC (Rev.days thru 1840s)

Samuel and Mary Gibson Hooker in Stokes CO, NC and Patrick CO, VA

Robert Hooker and Jacob Hooker, Randolph County, NC mid to late 1700s

Any unidentified William Hookers and John Hookers around the 1840s--ANYWHERE!

Pre-knowledge of John Hooker in Granville County, NC in the 1700s.

All of us relish any info (or "woderings" or "family oral history") as we try to find connections.

Posted: 28 Apr 2009 11:41AM GMT
I should have said we have lots of valuable, verified info on many of the names I listed on the Mailing List but have hit some road blocks.

Posted: 5 May 2011 12:41PM GMT
Hopefully I can get some info from an old post! I'm from the Samuel and Mary Gibson Hooker in Stokes CO, NC and Patrick CO, VA line that you mentioned. We believe that Robert (b. 1730/35) is Samuel's father and that Robert Sr (b. ~1700) is his father. My father joined the Hooker DNA project as well.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions