Search for content in message boards

Hofer--link to Andreas?

Hofer--link to Andreas?

Posted: 27 Sep 2002 2:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hofer, Riehm, Wierich, Bixler, Dragoo, Weirich, Hovarter, Linton, Brinkman, Bixler
My great grandmother was Elizabeth Hofer, born in Perry County OH in 1826. She married Philip Lorenz Riehm in Seneca County OH, in 1846. They moved to DeKalb County IN in 1853. Family lore has it that we are related to Andreas Hofer, but we cannot make the link between Elizabeth and Andreas. Any help?
Thanks.
Carolyn Steinhaus

Re: Hofer--link to Andreas?

Sevilla Watson (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 7:23AM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Leiter; Knittel;Weissenbach;Lechtaler; Lumper;Benesch;Gaster
For a dumb American who can't read German, I haven't done bad on the tracing of your relative; Andras Hofer. My great, great grandfather was a very close friend and compatriot of Andras. I do have a bunch of info I got in the various trips I have taken to the areas these guys hung out in, and fought and died in, in the Southern Tyrol. Not wanting to repeat a bunch of stuff you already know, please answer this guestion; did you know that Hofer was a martyr? That Napoleon considered Hofer and his men a big pain in the ass? Pardon the strong language but I know Napoleon did not like the way these men made him look. In fact Hofer and his men humbled the mighty French army on more than one occasion. The end of the war that came about in 1814, was due in great part to Hofer's men, who acted for the Austrian Crown even after Hofer was killed.(sacrificed) Like I said I know a lot; but there is a bunch more I don't know that is even more interresting. Balthasar Leiter was Hofer's First Lieutenent, and my relative. Leiter's picture hangs in my cousin's home, an oil commissioned, by my grandfather who enginered the entire building of the ski area called Zugspitz. Rather, he made an enemy of another zelot named Hitler, but that's another story.

Carolyn (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2002 9:14PM GMT
Surnames: Hofer, Riehm, Weirich, Bixler, Dragoo, Hovarter, Linton, Brinkman
Thanks for your reply. I do know that Andreas Hofer was a patriot who was executed by Napoleon. I was interested in your close connection. What I really need is to prove that we are related. I cannot connect my great grandmother, Elizabeth Hofer who was born in 1826 directly to the line of Andreas and his descendants. My cousin told me we were related, but I don't know how. Do you have any more information about Andreas' relatives who might have had a daughter, Elizabeth, born in 1826? Did Andreas have a half brother perhaps from his father's second marriage? Or a cousin about the same generation? Thanks. Carolyn

Posted: 10 Dec 2002 6:39AM GMT
Please forgive me to be a few days late but I was trying to get back to this site. I am not to sure how much help I can be, but I will try to help you find out about these guyds. There is a bit of an irreverant statement! The Austrian Tirol is pretty proud of this man and his little band of soldiers and you never know what I have in these files of mine. Are you interested in just what these men did to the great Napoleon? There is a big round building at the foot of the Alp Mountains in Innsbruck that is an historic site in its own right. I have that story with some pictures(artistically acurate) of the man and his rebels. Why don't you write me at my email site? I can dump the others who try to annoy me. sa-watson@msn.com. I do not think I can send pictures in this format.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic