Search for content in message boards

Robert Burns (the poet)

Robert Burns (the poet)

Leanne (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2000 7:51PM GMT
Hi. I've never really done this before, and even though my husband has traced the Burns side before, I decided to drop in and ask around about a few things. There are lots of Robert's and there are lots of Burns' and there are lots of Robert Burns', but there's only one that is a famous Scottish poet. My husband is a direct decendant of Robert Burns, and I was wondering if any of you here are too. It's safe to say that nearly all Burns' are related in some way shape or form, but I was just thinking that maybe we'd run into a cousin or something here. Who knows, it was an impulse thing. Anyway, let me know. Thnx.
Leanne

Robert Burns -the poet

Posted: 10 Apr 2000 5:59PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2001 11:47PM GMT
I am related to Robert's brother Gilbert..
you can email me at.. ronbob@gis.net

Robert Burns (Poet) Gilbert Burns (his brother)

Posted: 17 Apr 2000 6:21PM GMT
Edited: 11 Feb 2005 3:33AM GMT
We have a portion of a letter written by my ggrandfather to his son, my grandfather, which states that his mother was Susan Paterson or Peterson and her mother was Ann Burns and her father was William Burns who is supposed to be a son of Gilbert Burns. I haven't been able to trace back the William Burns to Gilbert. I have located an Ann Burns whose father is William Burns (he was born in Maybole parish, which is the right area for Gilbert Burns) located in the right area to be the mother of Susan Paterson and in fact have a copy of a marriage certificate between Ann Burns and John Paterson that lists William Burns as the bride's father. Do you know any more about the line descending from Gilbert? If you have any helpful suggestions, email me at vmoreland@velaw.com. Thanks.

robert burns

frances taylor (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2000 10:39AM GMT
I don't know if this is related but I have a great uncle that had a brother walter and a sister Mary E, burns. she married a Clarence mcgaw in the late 1800's or early 1900's and had 13 children. they I know lived in santa fe Tn. does this sound familar to you at all? contact at ftaylor1@prodigy.net thanks.

related to Robert Burns?

Diane Delmarter Paulus (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2000 11:22AM GMT
The stories in the family say that we are related. My father's (Burns Kennedy Delmarter) side has an Isabella Burns, born 1823 in Ayr, Scotland that is suppose to be a relative of Robert Burns. I haven't been able to confirm. I believe Isabella's parents were John Burns and Marion Wilson. Does this information match up with anything you have in your history?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Diane
DeeDeePaulus@cs.com

Reply about the poet

Posted: 9 Jul 2000 8:17PM GMT
Edited: 14 Jun 2002 7:49AM GMT
Was there a William John Burns born in this family about 1810?

Maybole, Ayrshire, Scotland

Posted: 21 Jul 2000 9:28AM GMT
Edited: 14 Feb 2002 3:35AM GMT
Have you seen the site at www.maybole.org ?
Try the search funcion for your Maybole ancestors.

Descendant's of Gilbert Burns

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 5:06PM GMT
Edited: 3 Sep 2001 11:47PM GMT
yes Gilbert had William b. 1792,Ayrshire
Scotland.. you can check out more of this family from familysearch.org and start with Robert Burns b. 1759

Robert Burns" the Poet"

Posted: 24 Dec 2000 1:20PM GMT
Edited: 31 Oct 2002 8:02PM GMT
I am a decendent of robert burns My mother has the full pedigree chart on all of the kin to where we tie in. I am currently working on it myself without using her notes to see if I can come up with the same information if not more. Any questions email me at rainboweyes@rocketmail.com

cherie

Re: related to Robert Burns?

Posted: 17 Jul 2011 4:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
we might be related because my great-great-great-great- great-great-great-great uncle is the 1800's poet robert burns
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions