Search for content in message boards

Charles Gilliland

Charles Gilliland

Posted: 11 Jan 2006 8:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gilliland
I'm looking for his father. I got information that my grandfather Charles Hale Gilliland was born (1855-1934) His father was Charles Gilliland born (1822?-1892) Charles Hale had my grandmother, Jessie Marie. Is my gggrandfather John Gilliand? Any infor, please let me know. email spuzio99@msn.com
thanks-Sherri

Re: Charles Gilliland

Bruce Gilliland (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2006 9:52PM GMT
We can't confirm the father of the elder Charles Gilliland, although some of us think it might be the John Gilliland who came to Alabama from Georgia in the 1840s. John had a son Charles born about 1833-4 in Georgia, according to census records. The Charles you ask about was born in 1822, according to the marker on his grave. However, census records for two different decades give different birth years - 1822-3 and 1833-4.

If Charles was born in 1822, he would have been about 16 years older than his wife who was about 15 when they married. An 1833-4 birth year would be more reasonable, making him about 4-5 years older than Zilpha Batson Gilliland.

The problem is compounded by Charles' Civil War record. A grave marker says he was in the Co. C, 61st Infantry Rgmt. However, his widow's pension application lists Co. L, 28th Rgmt. There was, as best we can tell, a Charles Gilliland in each of those units - but at the same time. So, there are two Charles Gillilands.

Also, his death data is in question. His grave marker said he died in 1892. Zilpha's pension application said he died in 1887.

There are some other issues I won't go into here, but it appears that there are two Charles Gillilands. If your Charles (father of Charles Hale) is not the son of John, he could still be related. John was one of at least four brothers -- sons of William Gilliland, Sr. (1761-1840). We have good reason to believe this William had a brother Thomas. (Their father was Thomas - abt 1735-1793.) We know that William had a nephew named Thomas. I believe Charles could have come from this line.

Jody Gilliland (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2006 3:47AM GMT
Do you have more information about the William Gilliland Sr. you made mention of. Do you know where he was born?

Posted: 14 Jan 2006 6:53AM GMT
Surnames: Gilliland
He was born in Georgia 1834

Bruce Gilliland (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jan 2006 3:27PM GMT
William Gilliland, Sr. was born in November 1761 in what was then St. Paul's Parish, near Augusta, GA. This is according to his Revolutionary War pension records. He served in the Georgia and South Carolina militias from 1776-1781. He died in 1840 in Fayette County, GA. He had at least four sons who came to Alabama in the 1830s. After his death, his wife, Susan, moved to Alabama. She died in 1859 and is buried near Alexander City, AL.

William's father, Thomas, received a land grant in St. Paul's Parish in 1759. In addition to William, this Thomas had a son, Hugh, who died in 1781. Also, we believe he had a son Thomas because there is a record that refers to the elder Thomas as Thomas Gilliland, Sr. Thomas also had a daughter Mary. We have not beenn able to confirm this elder Thomas' father or place of birth. We estimate he was born about 1735.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic