Search for content in message boards

Holland House Sandown Rd., Belfast

Holland House Sandown Rd., Belfast

Posted: 29 Jan 2006 2:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
1977-my search began for the family that Fred Holland left behind when he came to the USA in 1904. 1905 he brought his wife and daughter to the USA and settled in Boston, Mass. Later they moved to Quincy and there the other 8 children were born. before 1926 Fred moved his family to Atlanta, GA and there he lived until he died 1936. His wife Margaret followed him in 1947 , a dau 1947 and a son 1948.
1998 I found one person in Scotland that is related to this family and thru him I found two more that were living in Belfast that is related to this family. 2000 Visited both Scotland to meet him and then we went to Belfast and met the two girls that lived there. All three were delightful.
None of the three knew anything about the family. How the two that lived in Newtownards did not know about their ancestors I cannot imagine. The one that lives in Scotland was taken there when he was born as his mother died the day after his birth. He was raised by his paternal Grandparents.
The search has been long and the same questions asked over and over and over, still asking.
Joseph Holland married Mary Ann Anderson 1857 had one son and then later this same Joseph Holland had 9 children with Mary Ann McCluskey and then 1 child with Mary Ann Moore. Have Birth certificates on all. Regardless who the mothers were all children have been validated as belonging to this Joseph as most are buried with him in Belfast City Cemetery. If they are not buried there they have children that are buried there with him.

I have been un able to find Mary Ann Holland who married John Alexander Morrison in 1903 at St. Columba's Church Knock by Rev Waters. Am trying to contact the church and it is not easy. Still trying.
Eliza Jane Holland married Robert Dickson 3 ZNov 1887 in St. Mark's Church, parish of Dundella, Townland of Largymore, County of Down, Belfast. Eliza Jane & Robert had a child Joseph Holland Dickson b 23 Sept 1898 in County Down, Larggmore, Blaris. (Birth certificate)
1918 Eliza Jane was living at 339 Newtownards Rd. Her mother, sister and brother were living 337 Newtownards Rd.
Walter died 1917, Adelaide 1918, and mother Mary Ann died 1918. Walter buried Belfast Ceity Cemetery with father and Adelaide and mother Mary Ann buried DunDonald Cemetery with another daughter Mable Holland Pollock and her husband John Archer Pollock.

Joseph & Mary Ann ??? lived on Corporation St 24/30 and then in
1888 he built Holland House and in 1900 he died there. Evidently after his death the house was vacated as in 1901 the census gives a Robert Corry living there and an Anderson family.
Holland House was sold in 1902, supposedly to an Anderson family. 1946 "The Irish Baptist College" purchased the house and turned it into the college. I visited the house twice , 1982 and 2000. The house has been sold 2004 and has been demolished. There are 10 new homes built there as of today.
Have learned the land was leased when Joseph built the house in 1888 and am not sure if it is still leased or private.
How does land go from lease land to private land?

This is where I am today???????

I am still in Search of William Holland b 11 June 1868, where Mary Ann Holland Morrison went after her father died, where did Eliza Jane Holland Dickson go after her mother died? Where is the son of Eliza Jane Holland Dickson?

Maybe someone will find this interesting enough to jar their memory about some of these and we can make connections.

If you took time to read this thanks so very much.

Re: Holland House Sandown Rd., Belfast

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 9:35PM GMT
Surnames: Corry
Don't know if you're still looking for info, but Robert Corry built his own house which was Sandown House. It used to be number 45 (in the census) but it's now number 84a. As the road appears to have been re-numbered, you may be able to find your family on another census form.

Robert Corry was afamous business man, his company was Robert Corry Ltd, then Corry and co and now it's JP Corry . Hope that helps.

Re: Holland House Sandown Rd., Belfast

Posted: 15 Apr 2013 9:45PM GMT
Surnames: Holland Leewis/Lewis
Did you see this?

Holland House Knockbreda . in 67 Sandown Rd, Knock; a 21 room residence of Joseph Holland c. 1900s; demolished in 2005
Shirley Holland & Fiona Leewis

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions