Search for content in message boards

Web Clipping Problem

Web Clipping Problem

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 1:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
When I use the "Web Search" feature of Family Tree Maker 2012, I am having problems using the web clipping tool. According to the tutorial, when you highlight text from the online web page in the upper panel, a "drop-down" will automatically appear that gives you options of what to do with the highlighted text. Also, when you select text, a "insert note" button should automatically appear. I have tried doing both of these over and over, and the drop-down and insert note buttons never appear. The media feature of web clipping does work, with the green, dashed box appearing around a selected image. I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) and using Internet Explorer 9 (although the Web Search might be running its own native browser within FTM). Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggested solutions?

Re: Web Clipping Problem

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 2:32PM GMT
Henry,

Are you able to select a Date or a Place or a Name, and put that information into Fields?

Russ

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 8:29PM GMT
I can select or highlight any text, including dates, names, and places. However, when I do so the "drop down" or "insert note" button does not appear next to the cursor as it does in the tutorial.

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 9:06PM GMT
Are you selecting the FACTS or MEDIA tab (lower left) before selecting the text?

Posted: 19 Oct 2011 12:21AM GMT
Yes, I tried them both and just tried them again. Still doesn't cause the pop-up buttons.

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 1:30PM GMT
Henry,

Here is what the Help Menu, within FTM2012 says:

To include notes about the web search
From the Web Search Workspace, use the Pedigree Navigation bar to select the person you want to research and merge information to.

Use the fields in the browser to search for information.

Click the Notes tab.

Type any notes you want to include about the search results or use the Web Clipping Tool to copy text to the Search result detail pane.

Click Merge. The Web Merge Wizard opens.

Follow the directions in the wizard. For more information about the wizard process see Web Merge Wizard. Any notes you include are appended to the end of the Person notes, not to any fact notes.

I don't read that to mean that there will be a pop-up that will include Notes. The fields will pop-up when you hi-lite something. What I think this means that you can Copy and Paste information from the website and Paste it into the Notes section for that person. (lower left, Notes tab)

Russ

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 5:28PM GMT
I understand all of that and can do that. What I am referring to is what is said and shown in the "Researching Online" turtorial. Maybe the turtorial is wrong and is not from an actual working version of the program. However, it shows and says that when you are in the "Facts" tab and you highlite a fact (name, date, place), a "drop-down appears." In the tutorial, the drop-down is labeled "Insert Fact." Once the drop-down appears, it gives options such as Name, Birth, Death, Marriage, and Other. Each of these options has a call-out arrow to the right. When you move the cursor to one of the options, the call-out arrow reveals Data, Date, and Description. Then clicking on one of the call-out options inserts the information into the appropriate field in the "Search results detail" window in the lower-right corner.

Likewise, when the "Notes" tab is selected and you highlite/select text, the tutorial shows and says "an 'Insert Note' button appears." When this button is clicked, the information is pasted in the "Search results detail" window.

If my reply is not clear, please watch the tutorial and you will see what I am talking about.

Again, maybe the tutorial is not accurate. If it is, then my program does not cause the drop-downs, buttons, or whatever they are to "appear" as the tutorial says will happen. If the tutorial is not accurate, it needs to be removed. However, the digital companion handbook says the same thing as the tutorial.

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 6:04PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2011 6:09PM GMT
The web clipping feature does work as advertised. Of course, need to enable web clipping by selecting the icon or via the menu pulldown. Since the image clipping works, I assume you have.

Please check you security settings in IE for .net components and active x controls. FTM will use the ie9 settings. You may need to restart FTM for the changes to take effect.

I was able to inhibit the web clipping by just changing the active x scripting option to prompt. Apparently FTM does not allow propting. And apparently the web clipping is an active x control.

Also, be aware of the securty settings for the zone the web page you are trying to clip is in (internet, trusted, restricted).

John

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 6:33PM GMT
Henry,

Please provided the link to the Tutorial?

Is what you saw different from the Help Information I posted to you?

On what page of the "handbook" did you see this?

Russ

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 8:23PM GMT
I will check the browser settings tonight when I have access to my home computer that has FTM12 installed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic