Search for content in message boards

Place database bug in FTM 2012

Place database bug in FTM 2012

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 4:04AM GMT
Classification: Query
All my standardized places are suddenly unrecognized after updating to FTM 2012. Doing a search on the place name returns a list of places in which the city name is always replaced by the state name.

i.e. instead of finding the correct:
Ebern, Coburg, Bavaria, Germany
Ebersdorf, Coburg, Bavaria, Germany

i get only several options that read like this:
Bavaria, Coburg, Bavaria, Germany
Bavaria, Coburg, Bavaria, Germany

At first I was hoping that will be fixed with an update but since even the Check-for-update function doesn't seem to work as well (just as a few other bugs I already discovered) I might be stuck with a program that doesn't deliver.

Anyone has similar problem or found a solution to the place database problem?
Attachments:

Re: Place database bug in FTM 2012

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 4:06AM GMT
That hasn't been reported before

I suggest you do a Tools>compact on your database before you convert it to 2012

John D

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 4:16AM GMT
I actually did compact the database. The problem does not just affect the existing data. Is is the same when I enter new people.

It seems to be only an issue some for German places, I just tried to search for Tucson and it worked fine. Tried again for "Munich" and got:

Bavaria, Bayern, Germany
Bavaria, Landkreis Muenchen, Bavaria, Germany
Bavaria, Muenchen, Bavaria, Germany

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 5:01AM GMT
Hmmm

Sounds like an issue with the Place Name Authority

I will let the developers know

John D

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 5:03AM GMT
That "Bavaria, Bayern, Germany" is particularly stupidiotic.

Looks like the same person compiled the German place-names as misnamed so many US Census Townships (and equivalents) from what they were plainly called on the Census pages.

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 5:26AM GMT
'stupidiotic'

LOVE IT!

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 9:56AM GMT
This bug has now been confirmed by another of the alpha testers and the developers in Provo have been advised.

They purchase the Place Name Authority from a T/P vendor and no doubt will take it up with them.

Maybe if it is seen as serious, it will be addressed in a future service release or in a future version?

In the meantime the workaround would seem to be to ignore the PNA on these German place names and enter them manually

John D

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 3:14PM GMT
I ignore almost ALL of these "Place" spellings. I want the "County" word included, so I can tell the difference between LA the city and LA the County.

Also, many of the places that we have in our data does NOT exist today or is in a different county or even a different state, as well as a different country. Remember there is no longer a USSR country, and many others that have come and gone.

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 6:26PM GMT
John, really "Maybe if it is seen as serious"????

There are enough issues with nonexistent places' being in the Ancestry.com place library, without going to an outside contractor's ignorantly compiled database.

Posted: 18 Oct 2011 6:48PM GMT
frostfreedet

Although there are not a huge number of English places in the database for instance everyone for the county in which I live is wrong for the simple reason that it is one of the few counties in the UK that includes County in the name, but the database drops it.

Tony
per page

Find a board about a specific topic