Search for content in message boards

Springville (Centerville) Court House

Springville (Centerville) Court House

Posted: 28 Jan 2008 1:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know what happened to the Parish Courthouse @ Springville?? I noticed that Springville was the parish seat until 1941, but found no sign of a courthouse still standing in the community. I did find the 2 older previous courthouses in Springfield and Port Vincent.

Thank you.

Re: Springville (Centerville) Court House

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 8:29AM GMT
The Springville Courthouse no longer exists. Traveling east on Hwy. 42, turn left on to Red Oak Road and the property which once housed the courthouse is on the right about 1/2 city block from Hwy. 42.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 2:46PM GMT
How much information do you want on the courthouse. I have transcribed the Police Jury minutes from 1880 to 1890. I have the history of the current courthouse. I have a picture of the Centerville courthouse as well as other information. Send me your direct email if you are interested in any of the information.

Posted: 29 Jan 2008 11:53PM GMT
Evidently I'm not a member so I can't get to your email Majik. My email is jsedvm@charter.net I'd love a copy of the picture of the CH as well as any history you have on it. I'm a historic courthouse buff.

Posted: 14 Nov 2008 3:27AM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSON OR JACKSON
I THINK CORT HOUSE BURNEN DOWN MY MOTHER WAS BORN IN WHAT YOU CALL CENTERVILLE(FROST )

Posted: 13 Jan 2009 6:26PM GMT
Please send me the information on the courthouse. gkelly11@gmail.com

Thanks

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 2:49PM GMT
Surnames: Centerville Courthouse
The Centerville Courthouse did not burn down. It was the Port Vincent courthouse that was burned down on October 10,1875 and that's why there are very few older records before that date. The Centerville Courthouse was sold by the Police Jury and was later torned down after being in disrepair.

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 5:57PM GMT
hi !
do you have any i dea as to where i can find record of births in thay area in 1927 or marrages please let me know

Posted: 14 Jan 2009 10:54PM GMT
Marriage records are at the courthouse in Livingston. Birth records will have to be purchased from Vital Records department of Louisiana in Baton Rouge or New Orleans. None are posted on the internet that I know of. Louisiana Death Index,1900-1949 can be found at Ancestry.com. You might also try the following website. Death records before 1956 can be found at the Louisiana Secretary of State Archives Department.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=0
What families are you researching in the area? I can do limited research of Livingston Parish records on the internet.

Posted: 25 Feb 2009 1:51AM GMT
The old courthouse was located at the end of Red Oak Road at Springville, (Centerville). It stood for a number of years after it the official courthouse was moved to Livingston.
Not sure what year it was finally torn down, but was still standing into the 1960s. My GreatGrandmother ran a boarding house across the street from the Courthouse. MBZ10@aol.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic