Posted: 12 Aug 2007 12:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Just NW of Portland in Cumberland.

Would you like a copy of the area?

Tom

Re: where would Gorham Maine be? McLellan

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 2:16PM GMT
Who are you looking for? I have McLellans from Gorham, ME.

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 5:35PM GMT
Gorham, Maine is one town west from Portland, Maine. I just retired as the Town Clerk of Gorham after 29 years. I am also the Archivist for the Gorham Hisitorical Society. Can I help you with anything? Brenda

Re: where would Gorham Maine be? McLellan, McLellen

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 6:48PM GMT
Surnames: McLellen

Hello Brenda. How nice of you to reply. I'm searching for my gr-gr-grandmother, Sarah A. McLellan. She was born as Sarah Abia Lapham Bibber born March 1835 (she is in the book by Rev. Sinnett "Jacob Johnson and his descendants east and west" pub. 1907. But her death date is not in there.

I do not know "when" she died, but she was alive in the 1920 census of Livermore Town, Maine age 84 as a boarder. But she is not buried with her daughter Lizzie Flewelling or her grand-daughter and her husband, Guy and Louise Dixon, who are in a big Lisbon Cemetery.

I'm Thinking she may be buried in Gorham because she was a McLellan. Her husband, Edgar McLellan was adopted (I do not know which McLellan adopted him either) and was the Captain of the Brig "Rio Grande" which went down in a storm off the coast of the state of Georgia June 1, 1873, so he is buried at sea. (source: Maine Maritime Museum, Bath)

However, Sarah did have a son Edward Arthur McLellan, also born in Boothbay in 1850's. Can not find him and wonder if she went to stay with him because her daughter Lizzie became ill.

Is Gorham in the southern part of Maine? I would be happy to contact some cemeteries in Gorham.

Sorry to bombard you with all of this. You are under no obligation, lol. you know that. She may be on back of a stone of her son, Edward, I'm thinking. hmm.

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 6:49PM GMT
Yes, Thomas, I would love to have a copy of the Gorham area, please. Thank you so much. Would you mind sending to me at Patriot Girl 777 at aol dot com ?

Darlene

Posted: 12 Aug 2007 6:56PM GMT
Hi Cookie. I am searching for Sarah A. McLellan. She was wife of Edgar McLellan who was Captain of Brig Rio Grande stationed out of boothbay. He died at sea June 1, 1873. He was adopted, but I do not know by which McLellan. But I know he is buried at sea.

I also am searching for "when" his wife Sarah A. McLellan died, and "where" she is buried, and I'm thinking in Gorham, because a lot of McLellan's came from there. She was listed in 1920 census of Livermore Town Maine at age 84, as a boarder. I am wondering if she is buried with her son Edward A. McLellan, and I do not know when/where he was born.

If you need more detailed info, ask, because searching from afar is very difficult. I would not know where to begin.

I'm wondering if she could be buried with her son but her name be on the back-side ? does that happen ? I mean she died in teh 20th century, and not finding her is rare.
I had somebody check the archives for me, and nothing under McLellan, unless her last name was mis-spelled.

Any help you offer would be appreciated. Finding out the adoption notice (court somewhere?) would be awesome. But I'm asking so much here. pick and choose?

My email is Patriot Girl 777 at aol dot com

Posted: 13 Aug 2007 1:53AM GMT
Surnames: JOHNSON, BIBBER, MCLELLAN, BAILEY, DREW
I think I may be able to assist you. I am not related to this family. I can not help with the burial location or information. However, I can give you information about Sarah and her parents.

According to a book called "Jacob Johnson of Harpswell, Maine and His Descendants East and West"

(4) Sarah Abia Lapham Bibber, b. Falmouth, Me., March
15, 1835; resides Lisbon Falls, Me.; studied in Portland
(Me.) schools; m., Nov. 12, 1857, Capt. Edgar McLellan, b.
Sherness, England, March 13, 1825; lost at sea on the
brig Rio Grande, of which he was captain, June 1, 1873; as
a mate of ships he sailed to all parts of the world; was a
very successful captain for fifteen years.

Sarah is the daughter of:

Hannah Bates Johnson, b. Aug. 12, 1797; d. June, 1872,
in Brunswick, Me., at the home of her daughter, Mrs.
Hannah Day; m., Nov. 16, 1815, Joel Chandler Bibber, b.
Bustin's Island, Me., July 7, 1796; d. about 1840; son of
James Bibber and Joanna Bailey; grandson of Ancestor
James Bibber and Abigail Drew.

Sarah's children are as follows:

(5) Lizzie McLellan, b. Oct. 27, 1858; resides Lisbon Falls,
Me.; m. Frederic S. Fluellen of Houlton, Me.
(6) Louis Frank Fluellen, b. Feb. 26, 1889.
(5) Edward Arthur McLellan, b. Jan. 31, 1862; resides
343 Front Street, Bath, Me.; spar maker; now employed
by the Bath (Me.) Iron Works; m., June 28, 1894, Sarah
Albertina Wiggins, b. Bath, Me.; daughter of Capt. John
Wiggins.
(6) Edward Arthur McLellan, b. Feb. 14, 1901.
(5) Alice Maud McLellan, b. Dec. 30, 1863; drowned at
Bangor, Me., Aug. 17, 1871.
(5) Child; d. at birth.
(5) Frank Seward McLellan, b. Boothbay, Me., Jan. 10,
1868; sailmaker; now employed in the Kittery (Me.)
Navy Yard; m., Nov. 5, 1890, Emma Norton of Bath, Me.
(6) Arline Rosamond McLellan, b. July 22, 1892.
(6) Clara Elizabeth McLellan, b. Sept. 17, 1904.
(5) Victoria McLellan, b. Oct. 28, 1871; d. June 4, 1891;
a very faithful member of the Wesley Church of Bath,
Me., and of the Epworth League.

Posted: 13 Aug 2007 3:44AM GMT
"Beller", I thank you very much, however, I have my lineage, and I have that book, even though there are several mistakes in it.

My concern is to find the buriel place of Sarah A. McLellen.

Thank you for the time you took to type this in. The woman named Arline Rosamond McLellan was my grand-mother and moved down here to Newport, Rhode Island in 1907 where I live. She died age 100 years and 3 weeks. We were very close.

Thank you again.

Re: where would Gorham Maine be? McLellan, McLellen

Posted: 4 Sep 2007 4:24PM GMT
I FINALLY mail your maps. Sorry for the extended delay.

Tom
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions