Search for content in message boards

SCHUMACHER/SCHUHMACHER from Grabow-Mecklenburg

SCHUMACHER/SCHUHMACHER from Grabow-Mecklenburg

Posted: 5 Jul 2005 6:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Schumacher, Schuhmacher
Trying to find information on the SCHUMACHER/ SCHUHMACHER from Grabow-Mecklenburg.

??Dieter/Diederich?? Schuhmacher was an baker master (Becker Amtsmeister). He lived in the town Grabow in
Mecklenburg during the 1850´s. He had at least one brother, Carl Friedrich Christian Schumacher.
Carl was born ~1809 in Mecklenburg. Carl moved to Denmark before 1834 where he married Marie Bjørnbech.
They lived in Copenhagen during the middle and late 1800´s.

Dieter/Diederich had at least one son, Ernst Friederich Wilhelm August Schumacher (b 1835-08-17 Mecklenburg).
Ernst moved to Copenhagen ~1852 where he married Carolina Maria Johanne Ruge (b. 1837-04-14 Copenhagen).
I need help finding Ernst parents, when they were born, where they lived and who their parents were.

Thanks for any help.

Sara Katarina Sunno

Gothenburg Sweden.

Re: SCHUMACHER/SCHUHMACHER from Grabow-Mecklenburg

Posted: 6 Jul 2005 3:10AM GMT
Hi Sara,

According to the Mecklenburg Gazetteer, there were several Grabow in Mecklenburg, do you know which one?

See the Gazetteer at:
http://progenealogists.com/germany/mecklen/meckpar.htm

The church book records on microfilm are available through your local Family History Center, have you been able to look at any of these, or do you have a FHC nearby?

Family History Centers:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library/FHC/frameset_fhc.asp

Posted: 6 Jul 2005 2:19PM GMT
Surnames: Schumacher/Schuhmacher.
Hi Fritz!

I don't know which Grabow it is:(. I havn't been able to go to my FHC yet as my studies takes up most of my time...It takes over an hour to get to my FHC and the opening hours are limited.

Thanks for taking the time.

Sara.

Posted: 6 Jul 2005 3:49PM GMT
How did you get the town name of Grabow, and do you have anymore town names that could place one of the Grabow as the right one?

Schumacher is very common in Mecklenburg, from just some of the records I have seen, so they are probably all over Mecklenburg.

Do you have any documents that show Grabow, or is this from another source?

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 3:11PM GMT
Hi Fritz!

I got the townname from a familymember. She got it from a certificate which use to belong to August Friederich ERNST Wilhelm Schumacher b. 1835-08-27 in Mecklenburg. On the certificate its written that ERNST did his "test" (gesällprov) in becoming a certified baker on April 19 1852 in the town of Grabow in Mecklenburg. His father Diet? Schuhmacher and another man named Flyter signed the document. Diet? Schuhmacher/Schumacher was an Becker Amtsmeister (Baker Office master?) when he signed the certificate.

Sara.

Posted: 7 Jul 2005 7:46PM GMT
Not sure if your docmunent has any stamps or seals that would show the region?

Otherwise you could begin by ordering some of the parish records for the Grabow towns in Mecklenburg, and for your specific time period only, to find the correct Grabow with the birth entry of your Ernst Schumacher, b. 8/27/1835. Since these microfilms are inexpensive this will be your best option, that is when you get time from your studies.

For example, try the Grabow Parish listed in the Mecklenburg Gazetteer at:
http://progenealogists.com/germany/mecklen/meckpar.htm

Grabow Parish serves the towns of: Beckentin, Fresenbrügge, Grabow, Griemoor, Grünhof, Güritz, Hechtsforthschleuse, Kaltehof, Kremmin, Neu Fresenbrügge, Wanzlitz, Winkelmoor, Ziegelscheune.

To find the correct microfilm to order, for this Grabow, use the Mormon Family History Library Catalog online and type in the Parish name, not the town name, you are looking for.

Title
Kirchenbuch, 1640-1922

Authors
Evangelische Kirche Grabow (AG. Grabow) (Main Author)

Notes
Mikrofilme aufgenommen von Manuskripten in Goslar, und Berlin.
Parish register of baptisms, marriages, burials and confirmations for Grabow (AG. Grabow), Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany.

Subjects
Germany, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Grabow (AG. Grabow) - Church records

The film number for this Grabow would be:
Taufen (Baptisms), Heiraten, Tote 1809-1848 Film number is 69134
Note that there are 9 more films for this parish, so this film would just get you the births so you could see if your Ernst b. 1835 is in there.

Like I said in my previous email there are several other Grabow and variations like Gross, Neu, Klein (Grabow) in differant parishes, so to rule out these you would need to order several more films. (or this first one I gave may be the one?)

So for less than 20 dollars you could order all the microfilms for the birth entry you have and rule each one out one by one.

Do you know if they were Jewish or Evangelical as this will also effect which ones you order?

Posted: 21 Jul 2005 3:40PM GMT
Surnames: Schumacher/Schuhmacher
Hello Fritz!

This week I posted a query on a mailinglist in Mecklenburg they helped me find ERNST's parents on Filmnr: 69134:

1. Schuhmacher, August Friedrich Ernst Wilhelm * 28.08.1835 Grabow

2. Schuhmcher, Dieterich Georg Franz Johann
Bäcker
oo 06.10.1834 Grabow
3. Büsch, Caroline Catharina Blondine.

Earlyer, when I hired a profersional genealogist I got the following information:

-----I checked today the census of 29 cities of Mecklenburg-Schwerin of 1819 where Schu(h)machers were living and found only in two cities bakermen with this name:

City Grabow:

1.1. Wilhelm Schumacher, born 3 March 1781 in Putlitz
1.2. Maria Schumacher, nee Herrkloos, born 26 September 1782 in Grabow, wife,
and the children:
1.3. Helene Louise, born 26 July 1807
1.4. Diederich Georg, born 9 November 1808 (Ernst father)
1.5. Friedrich Johann, born 16 January 1811
1.6. Louise Helene, born 15 October 1818-----

My problem now is that Ernst uncle Carl Friedrich Christian Schumacher is not registrated in this household. According to Danish churchbooks he was 31 (9/n) years old when he got married on october 14:th 1839. This means that he should have been born in the beginning of 1808.

I have been calling my FHC in Gothenburg for some time to try to order films; 69134, 69132 and 69372 but nobody answers at the Center. I was recomended to search for Carl in filmnr: 69132.

Do you have any recomendations on how I can order these films, as my FHC is "closed".

MVH Sara; Gothenburg Sweden.

Posted: 23 Jul 2005 8:44PM GMT
Hi Sara,

Congratulations on finding the birth or baptism of your Ernst Schuhmacher b. 8/17/1835 in ? and christened 8/28/1835 at Grabow.
and parents of Dietrich and Caroline geb (born as) Buesch.

I was reading that Reinhard N. got you the info on the Meck-L list. Do you know what film or what parish this was? The reason I was wondering is Harald Thiel (also on the Meck-L) did not find Ernst in the film number 69134 at Grabow.

I have a friend that could do some lookups for you in the other films for a fee, but he is gone at the moment on vacation.

Or you could make a new post to this board and in the headline ask for "Lookup Needed in Grabow Films Please" and then give them the film numbers and other details you need them to check for you. Someone on this board may already have the films at their FHC and be able to do a look-up for you.

Also I would post to the general Meck List on Ancestry.com at:
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=an&p=l...

Film and info copied from the Library:
Title
Kirchenbuch, 1640-1922

Authors
Evangelische Kirche Grabow (AG. Grabow) (Main Author)

Notes
Mikrofilme aufgenommen von Manuskripten in Goslar, und Berlin.
Parish register of baptisms, marriages, burials and confirmations for Grabow (AG. Grabow), Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Germany.

Subjects
Germany, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Grabow (AG. Grabow) - Church records

Format
Manuscript (On Film)

Language
German

Publication
Salt Lake City, Utah : Gefilmt durch The Genealogical Society of Utah, 1951

Physical
auf 10 Mikrofilmrollen ; 35 mm.

Film Notes
Note - Location [Film]
Tauf-, Heirats-Index 1640-1808 Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1640-1743 - FHL INTL Film [ 69131 ]
Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1744-1808 - FHL INTL Film [ 69132 ]
Taufen 1740-1786 Heiraten, Tote 1744-1786 - FHL INTL Film [ 69133 ]
Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1809-1848 Taufen, Konfirmationen 1849-1864 - FHL INTL Film [ 69134 ]
Heiraten 1849-1864 Tote 1849-1864, 1894-1918 Tauf-, Heirats-, Toten-Index 1849-1864 - FHL INTL Film [ 69135 ]
Taufen, Heiraten, Tote 1865-1894 Konfirmationen 1865-1875, 1887-1894 - FHL INTL Film [ 69136 ]
Taufen 1894-1910 Konfirmationen 1894-1916 Heiraten 1894-1915 - FHL INTL Film [ 69137 ]
Andere Verfilmung: Taufen, Konf., Heiraten, Tote 1849-1864 (l. S.) - FHL INTL Film [ 1197641 ]
Taufen, Konf., Heiraten, Tote 1849-1864 (r. S.) - FHL INTL Film [ 1197642 ]
Tauf-, Heirats-, Toten-Index 1865-1922 (r. S.) Tauf-, Heirats-, Toten-Index 1865-1922 (l. S.) - FHL INTL Film [ 1196458 Item 1 ]

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 1:13AM GMT
Surnames: Schumacher, Schuhmacher.
Hello Fritz!

I have sent an e-mail to Reinhard N. to find out where he got the information from...waiting for a reply. I wonder where you got the information that Ernst was born on August 17:th 1835 and christened on August 28:th 1835, I thougt that he was born on the 28:th? Where did you get Carolines last name from (Buesch)?...I have been given two other alternetive spellings...Büsch and Büsin.

Thanks again for all your previous help Fritz:)

MVH Sara, Gothenburg Sweden.

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 2:09AM GMT
Hi Sara,

I don't know for certain if the date Reinhard gave you was a christening or a birth but I thought you had his birth as 17 Aug, so I thought the christening was 28 Aug as a guess from Reinhard's info.

Buesch is the English equivalent of Büsch. You will note that any German letter that has an umlaut (double dot) can be followed by an e for the American spelling. Büschen (Büsin) is also the equivalent of saying of Büsch in English, or shows possession. So for example in some old German church records it shows a marriage of Elise Krusen, which simply means of Kruse surname, and the real surname would be simply Kruse.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic