Search for content in message boards

Collinsworth Institute

Collinsworth Institute

Posted: 13 Mar 2002 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Feb 2003 4:33PM GMT
I found the Collinsworth Institute on the 1860 Federal Census, as a note beside a family member.
I found information that indicates this was a Private Religious Boys School, but that is about all. Does anyone have more information, or know where I can find more about this school?
Thanks

Re: Collinsworth Institute

Posted: 16 Jun 2002 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH-JONES
I grew up one mile from t he Collinsworth Institute,later to be Collinsworth Methodist Church. Would be glad to have E Mail. Please make subject Collinsworth Institute, so I will open it.
As a child my most fond memories of the church is Easter Egg Hunts.
Two aunts taught at the Institute. Unique little neighborhood!!

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 5:00PM GMT
Thanks for the reply. I have sent e mail to you. Thanks for giving the information.

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 11:23AM GMT
We have a history of the school on-line.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ga/talbot.htm
Scroll down to history.

Very interesting. It started out as a dream of Mr. Flournoy for a "manual trade school". This was not successful and then was run by the Methodist Conference.

Please share what little you know...and we'll add to this.
What was the name of the family member? Was he faculty?

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 11:25AM GMT
I'd love to have you share about your aunt's teaching at Collingsworth...and the years.

We have some history on-line
http://www.rootsweb.com/~usgenweb/ga/talbot.htm
Scroll down to history.

I thought it was in a different location from the Collingsworth Church itself. Can you help me with that?

Posted: 22 Jul 2002 1:02PM GMT
I am researching a N B Lockhart. The earliest reference for him that I can find is in the 1850 Talbot Co. Census. [E.D. 23, Family 255, Page 241] He is living in the home of Warren and Mary B Newell, with his siblings. I found the marriage license for Mary and Warren, and she was "Mrs Mary B Lockhart", so I believe that she was the widowed mother of the Lockhart children who had married Warren Newell.

The 1860 census shows Warren [685th District, Pg 618, Family 466] with a note saying "Steward Collinsworth Institute. Page 619 lists more family members and some of the teachers at Collinsworh.

I'd like to know what happened to the family members after the war.

Thanks for any information you can offer/
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions