Search for content in message boards

Samuel and William Gay,PA

Samuel and William Gay,PA

LG Stryker (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Gay
My GAY family line at present goes to Samuel and his son William, who were foundry workers in early 1800s in Bucks Co PA.Both born in Pa. They were later in Star Furnace, Carter Co., KY. Family legend says they at some time came from Maryland, or at least had relatives there. Some of William's children settled in GA and TN in the late 1800s.

Sam's children:

William

Thomas (?)

Mary Ann

Lucinda

Charles (?)

William's children:

Samuel

William

John

Alice

Mahala

Ann

Thomas

Laura
Do any of these sound familiar? If so, I'd like to share info with you. LG

John R. Gay

Posted: 13 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jul 2001 5:15PM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Harriss, Land, Vallee
I am interested in finding the parents of John R. Gay who was born on July 9, 1828 in Georgia. He married Minerva Louisa Fincher who was born on October 10, 1842 in Alabama. They were married in 1858. He died May 17, 1908 in Sulpher Springs, Texas and she died November 13, 1904. They are both buried in Sulpher Springs, Hopkins co. Texas. According to information written by my mother, the father was James Gay who was born on a farm in Coweta, Georgia in 1800. She did not mention who the mother was. She did write that John had two brothers, William and Thomas and two sisters, Abby and Delia. This information seems to fit with James Gay who married Susannah Cates and his father was Allen Gay and his mother was Abigail Castleberry. I can not find proof of this however. Help!!!

Gay Family

Posted: 13 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 12 Jul 2001 4:16AM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Stepp, Dempsey, Baisden, Blair
Yes,Lois,

Samuel and William Gay are definitely my missing ancestors.I have been looking for them for many years.Where
did you find them?

I am thrilled that you were able to find them.Where did you have to go to find your sources.I am not very well
and am mostly confined to my home.

I am grateful for any information that you can share with me.Thank you.

Amy Shreve

William and Sam

LG Stryker (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Ross, Bettis
Amy:
I'm so glad we finally made contact. Since you sent me your snailmail address, I will make you a copy of the material I have and send it to you. I believe that William took in Mary Ann's daughter Mahala and raised her. She was with the family in 1860, in KY. More as soon as I can get my act together. Lois

Amelia Jacobs

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Stepp, Caufield
Lois,
I made an error.It was Amelia Jacobs,not CAufield.

Gay Family

Posted: 15 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stepp, Caufield, Gay
Lois,

You don't know how much this means to me to finally find out who Mary Ann Gay's parents were.Who was her mother?
I have been trying to find this family for years.I'm sure the problem occured when Alexander died in 1860 and she married Henry Jacobs.They had one child that I know od,Amelia.When my sister and I read the census for Henry Russell and Henrietta(Nettie) Caufield we couldn't figure out why Amelia Caufield was with Henry and Henrietta.We were
afraid that there might be some kind of a problem.
w

Re: Samuel and William Gay,PA

Posted: 26 Jan 2003 11:10PM GMT
Do you have any more info on Wm. Gay (his children)? Specifically, Mahala. If she is the same Mahala as mine, your information will be: parents-unk; born 04-04-1866 (GA); married John Marion Jordan 12-13-1887; found on the 1900 Etowah, AL census (roll 15, book 2, pg 31-a); died 07-06-1932 (TX).
My e-mail is ann@celtic-mfg.com

Diane Montague Branton (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 2005 8:52AM GMT
Surnames: Gay, Montague, Ross, Allen
William is my GG-grandfather!! His daughter Anna married Bertram Ross Montague 10/31/1879 in Buffalo Park, KS. Then they all moved to AL (1880 CENSUS), then on to Rome, GA. Anna & Bertram are buried in Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome. Anna died March 17, 1919. Bertram died Oct. 6, 1938. Mary Anna Gay (William's wife) is buried in the Salmon Cemetery North of Rome. She was born April 7, 1828 and died June 3, 1882. Will be happy to share any other info I have! Do you possibly know if Mary Anna's maiden name was Ross??? Been trying for years to figure out the Ross connection between Bertram & Anna's middle names. Also need Mary & Williams parents, etc. SO thrilled to find this info!!!!!
Diane

Anne Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2005 12:53PM GMT
Are your GAY line related to mine in anyway? I have a George Gay who m. Alphia Blackmore/Blackmar, and his son Ansel Gay m. Elizabeth Bunnell, I heard that 1 of my GAy line moved to southern states and we actually had brother fighting against brother, so am wondering ifwe are connected here, am going away on vacation here soon, so if no fast repsonce form me, that is why, would love to dig in deeper here and see what shows. I have a Treadway Gay who is buried in National Cemetery in Knoxville Tenn, he was killed in ciivil war, was b. in Lazurne County PA, now Wyoming, willing to share any info I have, including photos. thanks Annie

Posted: 18 Sep 2013 3:42PM GMT
I believe Mary Ann's maiden name was Ross. do you have info on Williams father Samuel in Carter County, KY?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic