Search for content in message boards

Saving my entire Family tree

Saving my entire Family tree

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 2:41AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Senn and ancestors
Can anyone help me with the process on how to save my tree (over 1,110 names to date) to some form of offline storage? I worry about a crash of destruction of my laptop! Thanks!
Bob

Re: Saving my entire Family tree

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 3:02AM GMT
Just copy the files to a CD-ROM. I upload my data to Ancestry.com and to Microsoft's Live.com for storage in the "cloud".

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 5:16PM GMT
I am sorry to display my ignorance but I can't see anywhere within my Ancestry.ca family tree when I open it to either copy the file to a CD or DVD or to Ancestry.ca. Also, I am unfamilar with Micrsoft Cloud. What do I do? Sorry again for my simple mind!! I thought I knew more about computers than this! Give me any other application (in Microsoft Office) and I can save in a flash! Thanks for any details you can supply.
Bob

Posted: 15 Nov 2011 5:21PM GMT
Sorry, you're in the wrong place. This is where we support the AFT Windows program. You want to be on the Ancestry.com boards.

If your tree is on Ancestry.ca it *is* backed up. You can download a GEDCOM but will lose much information.

Posted: 29 Mar 2012 3:46PM GMT
HI: As to saving your tree,you can buy memory stix from walmart that are less than the size of your car key.
They come in different GB,and will hold 100"s of GB.

Posted: 6 Jun 2012 8:15PM GMT
On ancestry.com, I've gone to my Tree ... pulled down the "Tree Settings" and there is a 'download GEDCOM' option

That seems to export the tree to a local GEDCOM file (save as, some file name).

When importing it into MacFamilyTree, it does not appear to include the various media, and has a lot of broken GEDCOM tags.

So this, for me, is not best. But, it does save the linkage info & facts
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions