Search for content in message boards

John Carroll of Beachville, Ontario, and his descendants

John Carroll of Beachville, Ontario, and his descendants

Posted: 31 May 2009 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: CARROLL, VAN ALSTINE, PRINE
I am working on the family of John Carroll of Beachville, Oxford County, Ontario. John was born about 1753 in Elizabeth Town, Essex County, New Jersey, and was living in Montgomery County, New York, in the Mohawk River Valley, before the American Revolution. He fought with the American "rebels" with General Schuyler during the Revolution. About 1800 he and his wife Mariah Van Alstine emigrated to the Thames River Valley in Oxford County, Ontario, where he settled in Beachville. John and Mariah had 11 children: Isaac, Abraham, John (killed in the War of 1812), Henry, Jacob, William, James, Cornelius, Daniel, Gertrude (Ingersoll) and Nancy (Fuller.) All remained in Oxford County, particularly Oxford Townships and Zorra, and the towns of Ingersoll and Woodstock, with the exception of Abraham who lived at one time in London, Middlesex Co., Ontario; Nancy Carroll Fuller later emigrated to St. Clair County, Michigan.

It is difficult to sort through the children and grandchildren, particularly when most have the same given names. There are a few anamolies in my research; particularly Alpheus, supposed son of Jacob and Rhoda (Fuller) but who gives his parents on two marriage licenses as "Daniel and Elizabeth," and Abraham Carroll who married Mary Ann McKay and who is enumerated in the 1851 census West Oxford Township. Alpheus was a witness at that marriage.

John "of Beachville" had a sister Nancy, wife of Jacob Van Alstine (Mariah's brother) who apparently emigrated from Montgomery Co. to Oxford with him; John also had a brother William, whose wife was Nancy Prine, known children William Jr. and David, also of Montgomery Co., of who nothing further is known, and I am wondering if this family came to Oxford as well, and are mixed in with the "Beachville" Carrolls, thus accounting for some "stray Carrolls".

This large Carroll family were mainly Baptist, Methodist and Presbyterian, and are buried in West Oxford Union, Ingersoll Rural and Beachville Cemeteries in Oxford County.
There is another Carroll Family of Norwich Township, Oxford County who were Maryland Loyalists and not related, as well as some native Irish Carrolls in Woodstock, Oxford County.

John's father was also John Carroll, born 1721 Dublin, Ireland, and his mother's name is not known; her place of birth is said to be Scotland. In addition to his siblings of Nancy and William, he may have had a brother David, a sea captain in Delaware, and a brother James. John Carroll of Beachville died there 15 Feb. 1855 at the age of 102 and is buried in the Ingersoll Rural Cemetery. His and his wife Mariah's tombstones are still standing and legible.

I would be very happy to correspond with anyone interested in this Carroll family.

Re: John Carroll of Beachville, Ontario, and his descendants

Posted: 1 Jun 2009 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL
You are fortunate to be able to pin-point your CARROLL family back to a specific spot in Ireland.

Do you have a man from your family with the Carroll surname represented in the DNA Project? It would be good if we could get several lines back to Ireland. That eventually might be helpful to others trying to compare their profile to know what area of the country to search more diligently.

If your family has not been tested, I would like to encourage you to consider doing at least the Y-DNA37 test, and the Y-DNA67 test if financially possible.
http://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?code=F25174&...

Thanks,
Lura

Posted: 5 Jun 2012 9:50PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jun 2012 9:51PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
I would love to correspond. according to the census paper trail, I am related to to these Carrolls through John, Daniel, then Alpheus. There was a nephew Alpheus born in the 1830's.

P.S. i have done the mtdna test

Posted: 16 Jun 2012 3:53PM GMT
Surnames: CARROLL
Thanks for posting.

Question about Alpheus son of Daniel: His marriage license reads: Oxford Co.: Alpheus Carroll, age 55 (1817), resides East Oxford, born East Oxford, bachelor, farmer, parents Daniel and Elizabeth Carroll; and Annie Karns, resides West Oxford, born Zorra, spinster, parents Leonard and Lydia; 10 Jan. 1872 at Woodstock by James Cheetham; Witnesses M. H. Cheetham of Woodstock and (illegible) Smith of Hamilton

Do you know anything about Elizabeth, his mother? All other sources have his mother as Clarissa Hall. Also would like to know more about nephew Alpheus. Please reach me at suzyfrtz@gmail.com. Thanks!

Posted: 30 Nov 2012 9:48PM GMT
I found thata odd too. Is it possible the recorder messed up? He had a brother Dr. Dan Jr. who had a wife Elizabeth. They may have attended this 1872 wedding or the recorder was aquainted with them.

Right now I'm trying to find more info on Alpheus' son Emerson, my direct ancestor.

cheers!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions