Search for content in message boards

Making a Family Genealogy Book in Family Tree Maker 2012

Making a Family Genealogy Book in Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 1:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
How do I creat a book with everyone in my Family Tree Maker 2012? I have syn and everyone is in my Family Tree Maker 2012.
Help.
Margaret

Re: Making a Family Genealogy Book in Family Tree Maker 2012

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 2:50AM GMT
Hello Margaret

Did you check the HELP function in FTM 2012 ?

You can find it under HELP / PUBLISH / BOOKS / GENEALOGY BOOK / MANAGING A BOOK.

It shows you how to firstly create a Book name - and from there - other help items as you work with that book.

Cheers : Lindsay

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 12:05PM GMT
Thanks Lindsay, I found that but how do I get all of my people that are in my Family Tree into the book? It is hard to explain but when I have my book open the only people that appear in my book are the people that are above the book. Just a short branch of my family tree.

:-) Hope you are having a great day.
Margaret

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 12:41PM GMT
Margaret : I havent attempted to build a book in FTM, but I understand it is a compilation of other "reports / charts" etc - and when creating them - by default FTM will use the people you currently have selected in Family or Person view.

Depending on the report / chart that you are creating and saving for use in your book - there will be the option to not just choose the DEFAULT, but to elect who you want to include.

Some charts by their very nature, will want you to select a "someone". For example a Pedigree Chart will want you to select someone to create that pedigree. A "Kinship" report will show everyone you choose.

Apologies that I am not an expert here - just trying to help out.

Cheers : Lindsay

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 1:09PM GMT
When you build a book the first thing you need to determine is what it will take to document your family. Do you want a narrative, charts, or an out line of your family.

In the Publish, select Book from the top list in the left column. Select the type of book you want. (All of mine are Genealogy Books.)

When you have inserted the name of your book you will be presented with a title page. This is a Text document that you can do anything you like as it is word processor.

Right click in the left window and select Add Book Item. From the Add Book Item menu, you can added as many modules as you like to document your family. Each module has properties you can select such as number of generations, number of facts to include, etc.

There are some things that always are in my books. Two of these are found in Other from the Add Book Item menu, and are the Index and Table of Content.

One of the most versatile modules you can add to your book is the Text item. (Smart stories) (Add Book Item menu, Other) This module is a word processor document. In this document you can put anything you want. I use these text pages to amplify decision I have made on problem relationships in my family. (Why I decided that Catharine's parents were the Jones not the Smiths.)

I hope this helps you get started.

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 1:19PM GMT
PS: I forgot to mention that in planning your book for many of the reports you must decide who the module should focus on. Do you want the report to focus on you and show your ancestors, or do you want the report to focus on the oldest known ancestor and show his descendants.

In my books I do both. At the front of that book I have an ancestor tree that acts as an road map to the ancestors of that person. I then add genealogical reports focusing on the oldest ancestor in that family line showing the descendants. Aunts, Uncles, cousins, etc.

With these two reports plus the table of contents you can go from the distant ancestor to the present or from the present back to the distant ancestor.

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 3:03PM GMT
Margaret,

Question: What is the purpose of your Book?

How many Chapters did you put into your Book?

You said that you wanted everyone in your file, in the book, right?

Sorry for the simple question but WHY?

I create books to tell a story. Isn't that what books are about? Think about the Book Feature as a way to tell a story.

I have probably created 15 or so books from my main file. Two about a National Parks (ancestor's home is in those two National Park), One for a State Park, another ancestor, 2 for Houses, and the rest for specific people in my file, like my parents. One for their 60th wedding anniversary, and one each when they passed away.

So, what is the purpose of your book?

Russ

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 3:55PM GMT
Edited: 20 Oct 2011 3:56PM GMT
As noted above, there are a lot of questions that you need to think about. There is NO one simple single click that will do what you are asking.

As you may have found out doing a "Ancestry" type of report only goes through the direct blood lines with no siblings.
Like wise doing a "Descendant" report, then only the descendants of the selected individual is listed.

This is how ALL of the different programs work, so it is NOT just a FTM issue.

There is a the "Extended Family Tree" that will show "Everyone", but no report that will.

David Abernathy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions