Search for content in message boards

Corlis/Corliss, WI location?

Corlis/Corliss, WI location?

Judy Sheridan (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2002 7:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: MIELNECZEK/MIELNECZAK
Can anyone tell me what county Corliss/Corlis, WI was in. It is no longer on the map and I believe it was in Racine, WI or Milwaukee, WI probably near Cudahay.

Thanks

Corliss is STURD

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 12:18AM GMT
Judy ~

Corliss is documented in the GRASSROOTS HISTORY OF RACINE COUNTY (pub. 1978, Racine Co. Heritage Library Museum). A small section of the town of Sturtevant is still referred to as Corliss, which was once the name of the entire town of Sturtevant. Sturtevant lies on the west side of Mt. Pleasant Twp. in Racine Co. The original name of the area was Parkersville (1848), after Stillman Parker, who planted acres of his land creating a subdivision. Then, about 1877, the Chicago & Northwestern RR, which crossed the tracks of the Western Union RR at what is now Sturtevant, began calling it Western Union Junction. At that time, the only building in "Western Union Junction" was a box car at the intersection of the two RR lines. In the 1880s, a grocery and dry goods store were added, and in the 1890s the Brown Corliss Engine Co. managed to make it into a booming town, by area standards. It was decided that it merited a better name and became the town of Corliss. By 1907, Corliss had been incorporated as a village, and had a bank, two hotels, two doctors, several stores, and a public school. In 1923, the B.F. Sturtevant Company of Mass. bought out the engine company and the name of the village was changed to Sturtevant.

Credit for this information goes to Mrs. Frederick Falk, who prepared the Sturtevant, WI section of the GRASSROOTS HISTORY text.

Hope that helps you out, Judy.

Best!
Kathe C.

Corliss is STURTEVANT (Racine Co.)

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 12:19AM GMT
This post was deleted by the author on 29 Mar 2013 12:06AM GMT

Re: Corliss is STURTEVANT (Racine Co.)

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: MIELNECZEK
Dear Kathe,
Thank you so much for the wonderful history of Corliss! My Grandmother had this listed as her destination when she arrived at Ellis Island. Later I found that two of their children were listed as having been born there and the other two in Cudahay. Must be near by. Since Corliss was a railroad communtiy I suspect the train that my Granmother took to Wisconsin came into Corliss. This is wonderful. Now maybe I will be able to find the mystery of the local of the Mielneczek family from 1905-1915 and possibly even Joseph Mielneczek's place of death. He was my Grandma's first husband. Everyone told us they lived in Cudahay but I looked and found nothing on the census.

AGAIN I THANK YOU
Judy

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 1:00AM GMT
Surnames: MIELNECZEK
Dear Kathe,
Thank you so much for the wonderful history of Corliss! My Grandmother had this listed as her destination when she arrived at Ellis Island. Later I found that two of their children were listed as having been born there and the other two in Cudahay. Must be near by. Since Corliss was a railroad communtiy I suspect the train that my Granmother took to Wisconsin came into Corliss. This is wonderful. Now maybe I will be able to find the mystery of the local of the Mielneczek family from 1905-1915 and possibly even Joseph Mielneczek's place of death. He was my Grandma's first husband. Everyone told us they lived in Cudahay but I looked and found nothing on the census.

AGAIN I THANK YOU
Judy

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:14AM GMT
Judy ~

How nice to be so appreciated!! It makes up for those few who never seem to reply to the results of us little amateur sleuths :)

I'll keep the surname Mielneczek in mind on future searches ~ What a fascinating story they have!

Best,
Kathe

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:19AM GMT
Surnames: Mielneczek-Hladky
You are most welcome. If you ever need any information from the Rock County, WI area let me know. I will be changing my e-mail address as of Saturday. It will be tsher4441@charter.net.

Posted: 18 Jul 2002 2:35AM GMT
Judy ~

Rock County!! You're a doll. One of my lines came directly to Avon and Beloit, Rock County from Kerry, Ireland in the mid-1840s. I certainly can use a Rock County genealogy buddy at some point. I'll send a couple of dilemmas your way (the new email you sent) in the future, if okay. Thanks for asking!!

Kathe :)

Posted: 25 Mar 2013 3:28PM GMT
I am looking for grave my grandfather Wojciech Hadala he came in 1905 to Corliss Racine Co Wisconsin with Wiktoria Mielniczek and her daughter Maria/baby/from Poland.She was from Pelnatycze,he was from Siennow/I know this small country,I have there relatives/.Did You find Your grandfather grave? Maybe my grandfather is there too.His first name can be different,also last name/Chadala,Hadata,ect/Thanks

Re: Corlis/Corliss, WI location?

Posted: 18 May 2013 4:40PM GMT
Hi Judy, I was born and raised in Sturtevant in the 40's and 50's and have been back every few years. I don't remember any MIELNECZEK/MIELNECZAK living in the area. Could it be that they changed the name, Americanized it?
For a good book on the history of Parkersville/Western Union Junction/Corliss/Sturtevant contact the Village Clerk in Sturtevant, WI 53177. It was published about 6 years ago and contains the history and many pictures, cost about $20 or so if I remember.
Fred Terry
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions