Search for content in message boards

Margaret Barry of Lizzycasey in County Clare

Margaret Barry of Lizzycasey in County Clare

Posted: 29 Sep 2012 5:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barry
Looking for any information or possible living relatives of Margaret Barry of Lissycasey in County Clare. Parents were Patrick and Mary Barry. Margaret left Ireland at the age of seventeen, in January 1865 for New South Wales, Australia on board the ship St. Hilda.

Margaret arrived with James Collins, and passage was paid by Margaret Collins who was Margaret's cousin and in all probability James sister.

Any information would certainly be appreciated.

Re: Margaret Barry of Lizzycasey in County Clare

Posted: 8 Oct 2012 6:58PM GMT
There are Barry's living in Co. Clare and listed in the telephone book along with all the first name Barry's and
any surname beginning with B. Ends up in and would need a great deal of patience to pick out only the Barry's, the Collins there are 242 that need sorting through.

I went through a few pages and then checked maps etc. and found it is in west Clare County. Ennis is within 10 minutes of Lisseycasey Village and Kilrush not far. So I would look for the Barry names with those addresses, I didn't in my short search find anyone with Lizzycasey as an address.

The Church of Lisseycasey was torn down October 1977.

The name Lisseycasey means the ring fort of the Casey's if you didn't know that already.

Kerry is one of only 4 counties that has no records on an Irish History Foundation an online data base. So I'm not sure where to find Parish records.

I did find that the two parishes Clondegad & Kilchrist are now connected in the Clondegad & Kilchreest United Parish's.

There is a baptismal records on line for this parish from
1846-1881 but only for particular names but that means there are records, just need to find where!

freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~plawrence/KilchristandClonegadBap

The RC Diocese of Kilalloe
Latter Day Saints Microfilm #0926092

Missing pages from 1853-1855 so if Margaret was born 1848 unless she is Church of Ireland you won't be able to find any records. I'm not sure of the survival rates of the CofI
records and would need to look into that.

Griffith Valuation was a valuation for taxes and now serves as a census substitute dated 1855 for Clare:

There are 19 Patrick Barry's - 2 in Parish Clondegad but the name is Michael.
There are 193 Collins in Clare, 8 in the Parish of Clondagad, Poor Law Union is Killadysert (Islands pt.of)

I went through all the Patrick Barry's to find a common union but was unable to find the same Union. A union area covered a 12 mi.radius and would contain villages, parish's, townlands. The Barry Union's were Ennis and Ennistimon (where the Barry's in the phone book live)

Perhaps the reason she left Ireland with an aunt is because her parents had died or had other sisters to stay home and look after them.

By 1901 there are 455 Barry's in the census.

Only a couple of Patrick's in their 70's

10 Carrownaclough (Dedicated Electoral District)Ennistymon, Clare
Patrick Barry age 75, RC Farmer, cannot read or write
Mary Barry age 80 same info

8 Drumduff (Ballyea, Clare)

Patrick Barry 81 retired farmer
Nancy O'Loughlin 91 boarder, retired domestic servant

1911:

10 Carrownclough, (Ennistimon, Clare)
Patrick Barry living with James & Ellen Reidy fatherinlaw
listed as single, I find few men say widowed, mostly women

7 Magowna (Killanive, Clare)
Patrick Barry 75, farm labourer, boarder living with
John Barry 37 & Mary Anne 36

He does not give a relationship with them? but obviously related.

Annette Code

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 1:45PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information. All of the information you provided was new to me. I need to take sometime to sort through....

Evidently there were several Margaret Barry's who left for Australia during this time period. There is a family tree on Ancestry which states that the Margaret Barry from Lisseycasey married and died in Australia.

My Margaret Barry left Australia and traveled to the U.S., marrying Thomas Edward Hinton in San Francisco. I am trying to sort through all of this.....

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 6:23PM GMT
There maybe passenger records for the ship from Australia to
San Francisco? worth a look.

Annette

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 9:47PM GMT
Hi Annette:
Unfortunately incoming records were not kept in San Francisco until 1892.

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 5:07PM GMT
I didn't realize that just had noticed the occasional passage.
Annette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic