Search for content in message boards

Mary Flaherty (maiden Name Lee) Ennis Clare

Mary Flaherty (maiden Name Lee) Ennis Clare

Posted: 12 Oct 2012 10:34AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Lee, Flaherty, Ryan
My Great Grandma was Mary Lee who married a James Flaherty, they had six children John, Patrick, Martin, Elizabeth (Lizzie my Nanna married an Andrew Ryan also from Ennis), Bernard and Honorah (Nora).

I believe Mary left for the USA in 1896 aboard the SS waesland with her son John and possibly Patrick, they landed in Phillidelphia. The four youngest children remained in Ennis with their father James who subsequently abandoned them and they ended up in the Ennis workhouse.

Any info on what became of Mary and her children in USA would be wonderful, I have no idea why they left for America or why the other children including my Nanna were left behind or what happened to Martin, I have managed to track down Bernard and Nora's descendants.

Re: Mary Flaherty (maiden Name Lee) Ennis Clare

Posted: 22 Nov 2012 1:15AM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2012 1:18AM GMT
Just because the children ended up in the workhouse it doesn't mean their father abandoned them. People were very poor and couldn't afford to feed there families and sometimes the workhouse was the only place to survive as they received food there. He also may have died and they were orphaned and put in the workhouse, there were many reasons children were there.

Rose ODonnell whose family in Ireland ended up in the workhouse was on "Who Do You Think You Are". NBC. You might
be able to find it online. They just repeated last years season.

There are books and also online information about workhouses.

Most counties in Ireland belong to a date base of birth and marriage in Parish's for details before 1864. However, Clare is not a member. I don't know how you would find records. They must have an independant genealogy office.

The Griffith Valuation is used as a census substitute
for the year 1855. There are 2 James Flaherty's listed as well as a total of 51 in Clare. There were also 21 Lee's.
If you want to find parish's in common between Flaherty's and Lee's you can cross reference them on the website.
www.failteromhat.com or better yet after getting a small amount of parish's move to www.askaboutireland.ie and
watch for the Poor Law Union of Ennis.

The James Flaherty of the Parish of Drumcliff is in the
Poor Law Union of Ennis. This is where the Poor Law Union
workhouse would be located. There were more than one workhouse in each county but the residents usually came
locally in about a 12 mile radius.

There are 7 Bernard Flaherty's in the 1901 Census:

www.census.nationalarchives.ie (look to his children's names for his father,mother and sisters names and brother's names this may help you find the right one.

There are Flaherty's in the telephone book for Clare, you could write to the ones closest to Ennis, there are Lee's also from Ennis.
Annette Code

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 11:50PM GMT
The Ennis Parish site
http://www.ennisparish.com/genealogy/

Has the Baptism records for John, Patrick, Marry Anne and Martin.

There is also a marriage at the site in 1884 of a James Flaherty and a Mary Leedon.

John Mayer

Posted: 12 May 2013 11:34AM GMT
Your research is slightly off.

See baptismal records free on line at Ennis Parish:

Flaherty John James Mary Lee 19/06/1885
Flaherty Patrick James Mary Lee 02/03/1887
Flaherty Mary Anne James Mary Lee 30/07/1888
Flaherty Martin James Mary Lee 02/11/1889

Regards,

Larry back at home in County Clare