Search for content in message boards

James O'Grady, County Clare, killed in the 1830s?

James O'Grady, County Clare, killed in the 1830s?

Posted: 14 Oct 2012 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Grady, Maloney, Quinn
My 3 g-grandfather, James O'Grady, born around 1810 in County Clare, was married to Bridget Maloney. The story has been passed down through my family that he returned one day from a secret Catholic Mass and was stabbed to death by a British soldier who had followed him home. He may have been living in Carran parish, and my guess is that this happened in the 1830s, perhaps during the tithe wars. His son Patrick married Catherine Quinn and settled in Ennistymon; Patrick, Catherine, and their younger sons left for Cambridge, Mass., in 1891, where they joined the older children.

Re: James O'Grady, County Clare, killed in the 1830s?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 1:56AM GMT
Edited: 23 Nov 2012 3:26AM GMT
I've never read of the Tithe's leading to a War this makes me curious. I do know there were many people who wouldn't pay and threatened the tax people sent to collect. The Tithe's a tax collected for the Church of Ireland but every Protestant and Catholic had to pay.

The Griffith Valuation another tax, now used as a census substitute took place in 1855. www.askaboutireland.ie
These are living in the Ennistimon Poor Law Union
(within 12 mi)

Thomas OGrady,M.D. Parish of Kilmanaheen, Town of Ennistimon
PLU Ennistimon tenant of Capt. Fras. Macnamara

#25 Parliament St. house, outbuilding and yard

Looked for a Bridget O'Grady to be an occupant of land if James O'Grady died, but none. There are 4 Patrick's but none in the Ennistymon area and no OGrady's in the Parish of Carran.

No Maloney's in the Parish of Carran.

www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie (Tithe's)

James OGrady, *Mountain Capagn, Parish Carran 1828
Jas. OGrady *Moherafinna, Parish Carran 1828
James OGrady *Glanullaya, Parish Carran 1828

I can't tell is this is 1 person with three properties or
three people, or any other combination. *are all townlands in the Parish. Often a farmer would need more than one
property for farming.

This is a shortened form of the Tithe's that have been made available, the originals at the National Archives include
the landlord with a property description as in the Griffith
Valuations.

No Mahoney's in the Parish of Carran but there are 16 Mahoney's listed in Clare, they probably only live in the next parish but next I need to look for on line Parish Maps
to see what parish's are next to Carran.

The Parish's bordering Parish Carran are Kilkeady, New Quay, Rath, Kilfenora. Kilfenora has Maloney's a Maurice
and a Michael.

From there found that there are Parish record for Carran however, birth records start 1853-1880 and same for marriages. It is noted they are held at the National Library
#2440, The Latter Day Saints, Film History Library and the
Clare Heritage and Genealogy at www.clareroots.com on a
commission basis only. None have deaths recorded.

Clare is one of 3 counties that do not belong to a database Foundation where you can search for a fee at 1/10 or less
than the Clare Heritage people. Depends on how bad you want
the information.

You could look for gravestone inscriptions but possibly the
only place those are probably found is at the above Heritage and Genealogy. I just checked the website and yes they do have inscriptions from 80 graveyards.

I looked at a UK company who has gravestone inscriptions for Clare and I do not see any Parish Carron records. This was from research done in 1900.

I checked the Tithe Defaulters of 1831, but none for Clare, just other counties.

There are OGrady's in the irish/clare telephone book, many in Ennis and lots of Maloney's. You could try picking a
few out as the addresses are sufficient for delivery and no postal codes required.

That's the best I can do for you.

Annette Code
ps. I've looked up several references to the Tithe and there was some 'agrarian/farmers' disturbances but most in the south and west (Clare?). Agrarian societies were formed
to resist against paying the tithe's.

pps: wiki-pedia The Tithe Wars 1830-1836 were non-violent civil disobedience - with sporadic violent episodes. The Tithe were payable in cash or kind (stock or produce) and were directly paid by the tenant farmers. After 1831 lists of non-payers were collected and the Irish Constabulary started in 1822 were used to enforce payment to which there was some violent resistance. The worst took place in Wexford Newtownbarry/Bunclody 12 resistors were killed by the Constabulary and later in Co. Kilkenny 12 constables were killed.
In Rathcormac in Cork the resistance came to ahead when
the Constabulary was reinforced by the regular British Army
and 12 resisters were killed and 42 wounded

rootswebancestry also have information about the Tithe's
www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/Tithe War

Re: James O'Grady, County Clare, killed in the 1830s?

Posted: 23 Nov 2012 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: O'Grady, Maloney
Thanks for all your information. The Clare County Library (www.clarelibrary.ie) has quite a lot of information, including excellent interactive maps of the county's parishes, and townlands, and some well-researched historical articles. I don't remember where I saw the term "tithe wars" used, but I think perhaps this gives an exaggerated picture of something more widely organized than it probably was. One of the library's articles is on agrarian conflict in the 1820s and 30s; in any case, a number of people, Catholic and Protestant, were killed.

It's possible that this story didn't take place in Clare. My great-grandmother used to tease her husband about being from Cork. I have plenty of documentation that he in fact grew up in Ennistymon, but since there don't appear to be other related familes there they might have come from elsewhere.

In any case, thanks for your efforts.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic