Search for content in message boards

Kirkness, Peter & Mary Scott

Kirkness, Peter & Mary Scott

Steve Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 7 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kirkness, Scott
I am looking for any and all information regarding a Peter Kirkness born abt. 1825. Peter left his home at Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland when he was 19 and came to Lower Canada where he worked for 9 years for the Hudson's Bay Co. as a woodsman. In the year 1854, he returned to Scotland where he married Mary Scott, b:abt. 1836, who was reported to be a maid in his father's house. A month later, they sailed to Canada.
This is not my line, but I am helping out some close friends of mine.
Any information on his or her parents and siblings would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Kirkness family

Irene Stevens (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kirkness, Harvey
Steve
It sounds like the Kirkness family you are researching could be related to mine.
My g.g.grandmother was Margaret Kirkness born Aug 1828, Orkney, Scotland. I am not sure when she immigrated to Canada but it was prior to 1862. She married David Harvey,
born Jan 4, 1828 in Edinburgh, Scotland. David & Margaret farmed in the Moncton area of Logan twp, Perth county, Ontario. Margaret died Mar 15, 1891 & David died on Jun 26, 1905. They are both buried in the Knox Presbyterian Cemetery in Mitchell, Ont.
I have just started researching in Scotland & would be interested to know if this is Peter's sister. Is this the
Peter Kirkness who was located in Huron twp?
Irene

Peter Kirkness & Mary Scott

Steve Nelson (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kirkness
Thank you for your reply Irene, but I do not have enought information to make any conclusion as to your Margaret Kirkness is related to this Peter Kirkness.
If you find out anything on Margaret Kirkness parents; siblings, etc. please let me know.

Thanks

Steve

Re: Kirkness, Peter & Mary Scott

Posted: 6 Apr 2013 8:00PM GMT
Surnames: Kirkness, McDonald, McLeod
Steve,
Not sure if you ever found any info but I am related to Peter & Mary. They are my Great, Great, Great Grandparents. My Grandmother's father was a McDonald from Canada and moved to Buffalo, NY. His name was John McDonald and he died when my grandmother was a teenager.

My great grandfather John Edward Peter McDonald was born in Mt. Forest, Ontario. His Father was Robert McDonald and mother was Mary Alice Kirkness McDonald. I believe both were born in Toronto. Mary Alice (born in 1855) was the oldest daughter of Peter Kirkness & Mary Scott.

Info I received from my grandmother indicating the Kirkness' had a plaid belonging to a clan in Scotland and had joined up with the McLeod clan at some point.

Peter, I'm told, was a fur trader in Canada and went back to Scotland to marry Mary Scot. They came from Edinburgh, Scotland to Toronto and were given a land grant of 150 acres in Mt. Forest from England. They lived in a log cabin on the land and this is where 11 children were born (1 set of twins).

Any further information you have on the family would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Cindi Marie Parker Gustafson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions