Search for content in message boards

Major Phillips

Major Phillips

Posted: 8 Jan 2013 1:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pearl/Phillips
I would like to know if anyone has any information on a Major Phillips who is listed as receiving a land grant in Annapolis Royal or in that area. He may of had a daughter Alice born abt. 1776 who married a John Pearl. They would have been Catholic. Apparently there is a baptism record for her but I haven't been able to find it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you-Dawn

Re: Major Phillips

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 4:07PM GMT
Seen this refernencing a Major Phillips in Annapolis Royal. Perhaps a connection.

The first Masonic Lodge in Canada was established by Major Erasmus James Phillips in 1738 in Annapolis Royal. It is speculated that the first meeting of the lodge was held in this building. The building has been used as a public house and hotel from as early as 1747, when Rebecca Whitechurch, wife of Matross James Whitechurch was licensed by the Council "to retail strong Drink." In 1791-2, Sinclair's "large room below stairs" was rented for purposes of holding the Supreme and Inferior courts. In the late 1700s and early 1800s the Inn was often used for court ordered property auctions. The building is a National Historic Site, and is also designated as a Provincial and Municipal Heritage Property.
(http://www.annapolisroyal.com/about-buildings.php)

Also an excerpt taken from this webpage shows the above Erasmus James Phillips, as well as an Alice Phillips

(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~davison/si...)

"II. Ann Dyson, married Lieut.-Colonel Erasmus James Phillips,7 49th Regiment, of the distinguished military and civil service, Member of Council, Judge Advocate General, Member of the Provincial Parliament. He was nephew of Colonel Richard Philipps, Governor for a long time (see "History of Annapolis"). They had a daughter, Ann, who married Captain William 8 Fenwick, of the Royal Artillery, to whom in turn was born, at Halifax, a son, William, afterwards Captain and Colonel William Fenwick, of the Royal Engineers, who was baptized in St. Paul’s Church, Halifax, 4th February 1767, before mentioned as the uncle of General Williams, which he became (prospectively) by marriage at Annapolis Royal, 20th December 1794, with Maria, daughter of Lieutenant Thomas Walker. In the draft letter from her to the Duke of Kent, cited above, she says that her husband was then, 1796, enjoying a share of the annuity to which reference has been made above, which

7 1st July 1778, Administration on the estate of Alice Dyson, widow, was granted to Joseph Winniett and Alice Phillips, next of kin."

If I can be of any help, just let me know

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 5:18PM GMT
Thank you so much for posting this information. It was very interesting to read. However, I guess it is back to the drawing board for me as I see that Major Phillips and his wife didn't have a daughter Alice who married a Pearl(Perl).
thank you

Posted: 9 Jan 2013 6:01PM GMT
Do you have something definitive showing your Major Phillips had a daughter Alice? I only as because of the wording in the original post, "may of had a daughter..."

I tried switching it up for a John Pearl. I came across one the approximate age to match what Alice would be, but he is married however to a different woman,

John Pearl b: c 1775 NS
d: Oct 1844, Billtown, Kings, Nova Scotia
married to Susanna Chappell.

If you have any other information, I can keep looking for you

Posted: 26 Jan 2013 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Pearl
Sorry for taking so long to reply but I just noticed your message. I don't have anything definite showing that the John Pearl listed in this message was married to an Alice Phillips. There is a land transaction signed by John and Alice Pearl abt. 1803 in Kings County. John Pearl's
death record states he was married to Susan Chappell but I believe this is wrong. When John died in 1844 his wife's name was Alice.
John is my ggggrandfather. Thank you for your interest. Another Pearl researcher had told me years ago she had received an e-mail from some
one stating that Alice Phillips had married a Pearl from Annapolis
County. We are trying to find the source.
Thanks again
Dawn
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions