Search for content in message boards

Emma Suhr Robert Kief

Emma Suhr Robert Kief

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 7:59AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Kief Suhr
I am looking for information for my cousin Robert Kief
who was married to Emma Suhr.They lived in Princeton,
New Jersey. Robert died in 1966 and Emma in 1977.

Re: Emma Suhr Robert Kief

Posted: 12 Nov 2011 11:58PM GMT
What type of information do you seek? There is census, military, and Soc. Sec. information here on Ancestry for both of these people, which is a good start.

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 10:09PM GMT
Hi Karen,

Since they did not have any children I was hoping that
a relation of Emma Suhr would have a picture of them
and I would be able to obtain it.
Thank you for your response

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Suhr
Did Emma have relatives here in northern Wisconsin? If you provide some further information, perhaps we can help you make a connection.

Posted: 22 Nov 2011 11:31PM GMT
Surnames: Suhr
Did Emma have relatives here in northern Wisconsin? If you provide some further information, perhaps we can help you make a connection.

Posted: 27 Nov 2011 7:47PM GMT
Hi Karen,

As far as I can tell the Suhr's I am looking for stayed
in the NYC area.

Thank you very much for your help,
George

Posted: 24 Aug 2014 7:59PM GMT
Hi,
Emma Kief was my great aunt on my mother's side. My mom was very close to her. She was one of 13 or 14 children. My grandmother was her sister. As a child, I spent a lot of my summer vacations at her home in Princeton. My Uncle Rob passed away the year that I was born, so I never met him. They did not have children. According to my mom, they originally lived in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn. Their home (which was supposed to be quite nice) was torn down to make way for one of the approaches to the Verrazano Bridge. They built a house on Mercer Rd (or street) in Princeton, NJ. I remember that they lived on the same street as Albert Einstein. Rob was an engineer. I am sure my mother knows the name of the company he worked for and what he did. I would guess that he was quite successful. They were quite comfortable and if I remember, generous to Princeton University, their church and the YMCA. Earlier this summer I went and saw their house when I was in Princeton. The house looks exactly the same (I actually took a photo).

Posted: 10 Nov 2014 9:14PM GMT
HI Deidre,
Thank you SO much for replying to my inquiry . Actually I just saw your reply yesterday. I don't know what happened because usually inquiries come directly to the addressee so I should have received this back in August when you wrote. Nonetheless your reply means a lot to me. I have
been doing research on my Kief relatives for about 12 years,,,I have found so much about them
I feel as though I knew most of them, but now after years of research info only comes in dribs and
drabs from relatives thoughtful enough such as yourself to write to me. I have met many, many
distant cousins and have enjoyed visiting all of them. My father, George Peter Kief died last year
at the ripe old age of 97, and knew Robert vaguely from his days as a youth in the Bronx and
as an adult in New Jersey. My father moved the family from the Bronx to Englewood N.J. in 1951 which is where I grew up. He had told me that he visited Robert and Emma in Princeton but I cannot remember any visits as I would have been a very young child. It is correct that Robert and
Emma lived in Brooklyn for awhile but longer in the Bronx not to far from my dads home. In fact,
when in Brooklyn he lived very close to my great grandfather Peter Kief. Peter had a very large
beautiful home , I will send you a picture of it when I dig it out. It is still standing today though you
would not recognize it as it has had a huge remodel done to it so all that you can see is the
dormer windows on the third floor. Peter Kief was Roberts father (Georg) younger brother.
Peter Kief was a very successful coach builder (horse drawn carriages) and especially those
used in funerals. Unfortunately, he did not adapt to the changing times of motor driven funeral
wagons and had to start exporting them to South America. Peter Kief left the business to his
two sons; George (my grandfather) and Peter. It eventually went out of business, and the two
sons converted the business to auto painting and monogramming. The monogramming business
was very good as they did most of the big limos that the NYC movie stars and other very rich
people drove, it was a great niche market for the family.
Dietrich Kief (Roberts' grandfather) brought the family over from Germany in 1867. Germany had
so many poor people in those days and encouraged its citizens to emigrate. The Kief's' were
fairly prosperous, however, Georg (Roberts father) was in the German army and Dietrick had to
write to the Duke/Prince of Baden (Germany did not exist as a country) for permission to leave
for America. Permission was granted with the proviso that should he return to Germany he must
immediately report to the army again. If you are interested, I have pictures of Robert's brother
Peter and grandfather Dietrick that I could send you. My wife and I have traveled to Germany and
visited the towns of Waldorf and Reilignen where the Kiefs lived for many generations.. we saw
the churches where they were married and baptized. We hope to go back again in a year or
two to find the family farms where they were from.
By the way, I live with my family out here in Scottsdale , Az. after moving from New Jersey in
1973,, we have gone back east many times including this year to visit. A couple of years ago I
took my father back to Brooklyn for one last visit and went to the family gravesite in Brooklyn
as well.
Do you have any pictures of Robert and Emma, and maybe his parents Georg and Sophia as
well ? I would really cherish those pictures and of course pay for any expense you might have.

oh, one more thing, did you know that Robert had a brother George and another unknown child
as brother and ?. His brother George was born in 1879 and died in 1880 so Robert would not have known him, and the unknown child was born in about 1880 but we don't have an exact
cause of death. Tens of thousands of children died at a very young age and our family was no
exception.

Thanks again for writing and I hope to hear from you again,
George Peter Kief ll
per page

Find a board about a specific topic