Search for content in message boards

Wellington Lunatic Asylum

Wellington Lunatic Asylum

Posted: 20 May 2010 9:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have found, in a News Paper article, the death of Rachel Johnston in 1885. She died at the the Wellington Lunatic Asylum. I have searched the online cemetary indexes for Wellington but have not been able to find her burial. Does anyone know which Cemetary was used by the Asylum? She was from Palmerston North and the husband was unable to go to Wellington when she died. I have not found her buried in Palmerston North. I can't imagine her being taken back to Palmerston North back then.
Also does anyone know where the Asylum was situated?
I have sent for the death certificate.
Thankyou.

Re: Wellington Lunatic Asylum

Posted: 21 May 2010 8:21AM GMT
Did a web search and found an Asylum was opened in Porirua as the Wellington Asylum (now the Governor Generals House) was getting too full. Now have to find where she was buried.

Posted: 24 May 2010 9:14AM GMT
I suspect the Lunatic Asylum is now what is Keneperu Hospital in Porirua, it was a mental health institute before that.

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 8:03AM GMT
hello Helen.
There used to be an asylum in Newtown, Wellington. It was were Government House now stands. I think that it was called the Mt. View Asylum.
Marion

Posted: 2 Jun 2010 9:58AM GMT
Thankyou,
I have just received her death certificate and could just about make out that she died at Mount View asylum. Now you have confirmed that that is what it was called. Now just need to find out if there are any records anywhere, I am hoping to go to Archives in Wellington soon.
Once again thankyou.

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 8:21PM GMT
which religion would she have been, asking this as Mount St Cemetery would have been open then, it was for Roman Catholics, and it is being listed at present..its near the Victoria University., other than that, Karori Cemetery, maybe in unmarked plot. sadly.. for Mt St.Cemetery check with Marist Archives..

Posted: 12 Jul 2010 10:00PM GMT
If you are still looking for Rachael Johnson I think you will find her in the Bolton St Cemetery

http://www.wellington.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/search/det...

regards
Jenny

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 4:30AM GMT
Thankyou,
I have actually found her, she is buried in the huge underground vault at Bolton Cemetary. She was one of the graves dug up. Thankyou for you time.
I am now trying to find out who might have the hospital records for the Asylum.

Helen.

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 4:36AM GMT
Thankyou,
I have found her at Bolton Street, she was one of those dug up and put in the underground vault. Unfortunately she no longer had a headstone.
Just need to find the Asylum records now.
I will have a look at the suggested site though as I have other family who are hiding somewhere.

Thankyou for your time.

Helen

Posted: 13 Jul 2010 11:41PM GMT
I would think National Archives in Wellington.. glad you found the grave.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions