Search for content in message boards

WHITTINGTON FAMILY BIBLE FOUND!

WHITTINGTON FAMILY BIBLE FOUND!

Posted: 12 Apr 2004 1:26PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 13 Dec 2004 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: WHITTINGTON
Hi all,

I came across a newspaper article yesterday in Guilford County, NC where a gentleman has a Whittington Family Bible that he found in an abandoned home many decades ago. Among the names mentioned are a Nehemiah Whittington and his wife, Nancy. It also lists a son Alphonso and his wife Louisa. Are these people kin to you?

Regards,
Dave Ridout
Durham, NC
ridout@catalystmfg.com

Re: WHITTINGTON FAMILY BIBLE FOUND!

Posted: 15 Jun 2004 2:11PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jun 2004 2:09AM GMT
Do you have a way to contact this gentleman? I have a few Whittington ancestors.

Thanks,

Lisa

Posted: 16 Jun 2004 8:14PM GMT
What is the name and address of the gentleman who found the Whittington family bible. I have several Whittington ancestors including Grief Whittington, Elisha Whittinton and Martha Whittington-Dorman.

Thanks

Posted: 18 Jun 2004 1:59PM GMT
Edited: 15 Sep 2004 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: Whittington
Just letting everyone know that the Whittington Bible was presented to me in April by Rick Smith, the finder of the Bible. Nehemiah Whittington was my 4-great-grandfather, and I am thrilled and humbled to have it in my safekeeping. I was born in Greensboro, NC and have lived here all my life, so there are still Whittington descendants in the area. I have done a transcript of the record pages from the Bible, so if anyone is interested, please let me know, and I will e-mail the Word document to you. Thank you, Jo Ann

David Whittington (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2004 2:49PM GMT
Jo Ann
Please add me to the mailing list for a copy of the word document. God Bless
David

Posted: 18 Jun 2004 2:56PM GMT
Edited: 13 Dec 2004 9:15PM GMT
Ira,

In case you haven't received a notice, Mrs. Jo Ann Lovingood of Greensboro, NC has sent out a note in this chatroom on 6/18 offering soft copies of the Whittington Bible records. She has been very kind in sharing them and we are very grateful.

Dave

Grief Whittington's children?

Posted: 18 Jun 2004 3:43PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jul 2005 3:45PM GMT
Surnames: Whittington, Wise
Does a reliable list of Grief Whittington's children exist? What were the names of his daughters, if he had any, and who did they marry?

I would like to know what relationship existed, if any, between Grief Whittington and Grief Wise. Wise was born ca 1806 and lived in Darlington Co SC in 1840 and 1850. He was somehow related to the husband of Mrs. Mary Wise, b ca 1802, her son Zachariah Wise, b 1833, and Simeon Wise, b ca 1822 SC. Mary and Zach came from Darlington Co to southeastern Alabama (Coffee and Dale Cos) by 1860, and by 1880 were in Johnson Co AR, along with Simeon. In 1889 a son William Grief Wise was born in Johnson Co to William Franklin Wise, b 1862 AL, father b SC. (It's Wm F's father's name I'm trying to learn, and what the exact connection is to Grief Wise b ca 1806.)

Pike Co AL borders Coffee and Dale Cos. In the 1850 Pike Co census Burrell Whittington, age 70, was listed three households away from Cullen Wise 45 SC, whose name appears in the 1830 census of Marion Co SC.

Re: Grief Whittington's children?

Posted: 18 Jun 2004 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 26 Jun 2006 8:56PM GMT
Andy,

My information is definitely not authorative, but you can see what little I have at
. http://www.mykindred.com/cloud/TX/pages/b1041.htm#P6877

I have never seen any reference to any daughters of Grief Whittington, but his given name is certainly unique enough to cause one to look for correlations between anyone else with that name. Someone may have named a child for him -- or vice versa -- and yet be no relation.

Please, if you find any connections, let us know.
thanks, Tom Cloud

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 5:38AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2004 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bass>Sledge>Doyle/Dial
I, too am related to Grief Whittington>Leander Wittington married my great aunt. They lived in Bayou Chicot, LA in the early 1900s. How are you related to them?
Catherine

Posted: 6 Aug 2004 5:41AM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2004 11:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bass>Sledge>Doyle/Dial
JoAnn, I ,too, am related to the Whittington's. If it is not too much trouble I would love to have a copy of the Bible pages.
My email address is Katydid 401@cox.net
Thank you, Catherine
per page

Find a board about a specific topic