Search for content in message boards

Seriously dodgy media handling in 2012

Seriously dodgy media handling in 2012

Posted: 24 Oct 2011 4:09PM GMT
Classification: Query
I seem to have hit the FTM 2012 bugs today.

Earlier I was merging duplicate place names from Census/BMD merges, and one batch deleted all the place names that I was merging - just went blank instead. Fortunately this place was one that had only just started to feature in the tree, so I could recreate, more or less.

Now I am going through the images and categorising them. Won't let me do more than a few, at most, before I get a socking great red cross instead of where the thumbnails should be. Compacted, restarted, no different. FTM 2012 had worked before, when there were less waiting to categorise. (There are almost 4000 images in total, only the most recent waiting to be sorted.) FTM 2011 could be slow, but didn't "crash" here, at least not often.

Fortunately now time for a break.

Re: Seriously dodgy media handling in 2012

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 12:19PM GMT
jhowes,

Is this a new problem for your? Do you have any earlier versions of Family Tree Maker and were you having issue with them?

Russ

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 12:32PM GMT
I have had the red cross appear in the image box in Family View top right hand corner, in several versions. It goes away as suddenly as it appears.

Wish I could offer a reason for why. No apparent damage to or loss of images/data.

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 5:13PM GMT
Reply to Russ: after posting this, I did gradually reflect that when I had allowed a large batch of images to accumulate I might have had a similar problem in previous versions. But some time ago - maybe FTM 2010 rather than 2011, perhaps that was luck or no huge batches.

This time, once I got down to maybe 25 or so images the red cross didn't reappear.

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 5:54PM GMT
Are you seeing the very large red "X" that covers the entire image space? This occurs when the system memory/resources are almost gone. I've also seen it occur with very large images/pdf files generated from FTM.

Regards,

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 4:17PM GMT
I figured I'd blow the dust off of this thread and see if anyone ever found a fix for the problem.

My issue appears to be the same as the OP.

In FTM 2012 when categorizing media files, at the end of processing a small batch (less than 10 at a time) I'm left with the collection screen showing a blank screen with a large red X in what should be the collection screen's center thumbnail view. The thumbnails seem to actually be there although they can't be seen. If I hover my mouse over a blank spot on the screen I see the little ribbon that gives the name of one of the media files that would ordinarily be displayed.

I've tried refreshing the screen, moving to another tab and back, and opening another tree before going back to my original one but the only thing that seems to work is to exit FTM completely and go back in.

Anyone stumbled across a fix or a workaround short of exting and restarting the application?

Thx
Dennis

Posted: 19 Feb 2013 1:58PM GMT
I just experienced the same thing. Did about 20 media items and the big red X came up for a few minutes and then FTM blew up and went away.

Steve
per page

Find a board about a specific topic