Search for content in message boards

Goggins Family History

Goggins Family History

Posted: 4 Dec 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Apr 2002 2:08PM GMT
Searching for any Westmeath Goggins and any connection to Meath Goggins. A James Goggins was sentenced to 7 yrs transportation at Mullingar Assizes in 1851. I have copies of his plea for clemency which was rejected. Most Meath Goggins related to me.

Re: Goggins Family History

Kae Horsburgh (View posts)
Posted: 8 Nov 2001 12:28AM GMT
Surnames: Goggins
John, I am descended from James Goggins transported 1848 to V.D.L Tasmania) Wife Mary 3 chn. Father Billy, brothers Pat,Tom,William,Mick,John Sister Mary. Died Tasmania 1884 aged 67. Wife Mary lived to 102. Mary the daughter was my Gt. Grandmother. Both came from Westmeath. I have convict records and details of life in Tasmania but nothing from Ireland. Regards Kae Horsburgh

Posted: 11 Nov 2001 9:02PM GMT
Edited: 21 Apr 2002 2:08PM GMT
Dear Kae, I am absolutely convinced that your ancestors from Co. Westmeath are related to mine from Meath, because they share the same first names etc. However, I have no way to prove this as there are no public records available for the Goggins clan at this time. I believe they were just too poor to leave any traces in Ireland. I have found out a lot about your James and have copies of his plea for clemency or reduction of sentence, which was rejected. I will keep searching and if anything comes to light I will let you know.
John.

Posted: 24 May 2002 12:28PM GMT
my maiden name is Catherine Goggins , father `s name Albert William Goggins from Stradone Co Cavan Ireland. His father was Michael Goggins , mother Lydia Goggins.I have no idea where the family originates from . Dad had brothers named Thomas , Alexander. and John. Sisters named Pheobie and Jane Ann who left Ireland in her youth for America. The name was uncommon in Co Cavan it therefore could be possible that the family came from another area. please contact me if any of this rings a bell .contact me at cthrnlws3@aol.com

Michele (View posts)
Posted: 22 Sep 2002 2:21AM GMT
Surnames: Goggins,Cottingham,Walsh,Conroy,Folan,Connelly,O'Malley,Joyce,Gorham,Menjou,Comiskey,Rogan,Mckeena,Quigley,Cannon,Louge,Tranior,Gattens,
James Goggins is in my family. What I have is James being born in 1840 Parents are: Wm Goggins & Margaret Cottingham. SP at this birth are: Wm & Penelope Dillon. I have more info. Could you please send me what you have on James.
Please email me at .........mitsfn1@aol.com
Thank you so much,
Michele

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 4:53AM GMT
I am also a descendant of James Goggins from Mullingar Westmeath Ireland. I have an item from 'Ireland-Australia transportation database' with document numbers TR 6, P 214 and CRF 1847 G 5. are these Jame's plea for clemency and reduction in sentence? I would be interested in having a copy of these if I could. Thanks Trudy

Posted: 14 Oct 2010 3:02PM GMT
Hi
my Goggins are from Cavan but they seemed to have popped up there in the 1821 census, could they have come from Meath? David Goggins b abt 1785 married an Elizabeth and they 5 children. Was wondering if you knew James Goggins parents names and if they might be related to David?

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 8:52AM GMT
Re Cavan Goggins, as far as I can see, they were a small number of Protestant families some of whom joined the RIC where records would still exist. I can't make a connection to my Meath lot, but there was a Protestant bailiff named James Goggins who lived in Navan Co. Meath and is buried in Athlumney Cemetery there.(Mid 19th century as far as I can recall)

Posted: 15 Oct 2010 6:05PM GMT
Thanks for that. I have the RIC records for the grandsons of David. Interesting about the baliff James, will keep that one in mind. Navan isn't that far from Cavan.

Posted: 28 Oct 2010 4:19AM GMT
Hello, the James Goggins I am connected with was born 1816 - probably in Westmeath although the family is said to have called Cork home. His parents were Billy and Mary Goggins and he had five brothers Pat Tom William Mick and John and a sister Mary. James married Mary Newman and had 2 daughters and 1 son. James was encarcerated in Mullingar Assize February 1847 and after petioning for clemency and reduction in sentance he was transported to Tasmania ariiving January 1849. His family came to Tasmania in 1856 after he had completed his term of transportation. The property James and Mary were allocated remains within the family to this day.

David is not a family name within this family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic