Search for content in message boards

Anderson

Anderson

Doug Ramsay (View posts)
Posted: 19 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ANDERSON, MOONLIGHT, RAMSAY
David ANDERSON m. Jane MCLEAN Dec. 7, 1858, in Arbroath, had son David ANDERSON, b.July 30, 1861, St. Vigeans, and another son, William ANDERSON. Would appreciate information on other children of this union, and any other information. Son David Anderson m.Elizabeth Moonlight.

Anderson - Ramsay connection

John Ramsay (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: RAMSAY, ANDERSON, WEBSTER
Doug,
I have a Margaret ANDERSON, b 1819, d 10 March 1857, who married George RAMSAY on 23 March 1884 in Dundee. Father was John ANDERSON, mother (?) PICKARD.
Any connections?

Anderson's of St Vigeans

David LaBroad (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
I have a Charles Baxter Anderson born in 1885, with brothers Robert, George,and William. They immigrated to USA in or around 1908 from St Vigeans.

Moonlight

Kate Moonlight (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Moonlight
James Moonlight married Jane Lindsay 5.6.1830. They had at least 4 children, one of which was Alexander who married Isobella Wynton 4.8.1860. There don't seem to have been many Moonlights around. Perhaps there is a connection somewhere to your Elizabeth?

Re: Anderson

Posted: 27 May 2002 9:02PM GMT
Edited: 17 Nov 2003 9:31PM GMT
I have a David Anderson ch.20 May 1813. Eon of David Anderson
and Helen Waddell. Could this be the David Anderson you refer
to

Re: Moonlight

Posted: 20 Jul 2002 9:26PM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2002 8:04PM GMT
I live in Dundee,Scotland. My grandmother was born Jane Ann Moonlight in 1894. Tracing the male Moonlight line back gives the following:

Her father: Thomas (born 1869 approx)
His father: Thomas (born 1802)
His father: John (born 1765)
His father: John (born 1740 approx)
After that it's a bit of guesswork by looking at all the names that were around then, but I think:
His father: James (born 1703)
His father: Robert (born 1674)
His father: James (born 1653)
His father: Archibald, and that is the first Moonlight in the Scottish records

Your James (married in 1830) was born in 1804.
His father was the John (born 1765) above.
One of the other sons of Thomas (born 1802) was Thomas (born 1833).

The story about him is that he left Arbroath as a 13 year old, walked 17 miles to Dundee, found a ship going to Philadelphia. He joined the army and rose to General during the Civil War. He later became Governor of Wyoming and US Ambassador to Bolivia. While Governor, he granted a pardon to a thief called Harry Longebaugh who had just been released from jail after serving 18 months for stealing a horse. Harry promptly left the town (Sundance) and changed his name to the Sundance Kid.

Does any of this sound familar to you? Where are you now? How do you trace yourself back to James?

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 10:43AM GMT
Edited: 25 Nov 2003 11:28PM GMT
I am interested in the name MOONLIGHT but in Kincardine. Do you know of links between the Angus & Kincardine families? I notice that you mention a John MOONLIGHT b 1765, is this the son of John MOONLIGHT & Janet GRANT ch 10 Feb 1765 Kinneff & Catterline?

Kind regards
Elaine

MOONLIGHT!! Just felt a bit ill here ... I have entire family tree!

Annie Williams (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jul 2002 11:16PM GMT
Surnames: Moonlight
Hi folks

Ok, lets be calm here but I think we have a family link. My grandmother (died 1969) was called Marion Duncan Moonlight. She had a brother called George and a sister called Isabella Wynton Moonlight (who married Leonard Farr and had two sons Michael and Anthony). She married Fred Challender - my father is John George Challender.

Marion's father was George Moonlight who married Janet Mitchell; George's father was Alexander Horatio Smart Moonlight who married Isabella Wynton in August 1860 - HELLO!!. Alexander/Isabella had five children including George (17.4.1867): Helen Nichol (15.3.1863), James (4.6.1861), William Lindsay (4.9.1869), Alexander Horation (11.2.1865).

Had found only two children for James and Jane - Betsy (22.10.1849) and Elizabeth (4.3.1831); don't have James/Jane as the father to Alexander who married Isabella - but there are LOADS of Alexanders in the family so one or other of us may be confused. Can't go on much more here (computer is crashing because I keep trying to access my database for info to give you!). I've accessed at present approx 80-100 Moonlights going back to 1691; they are all from the Dysart/Kincardine/Kirkcaldy/Arbroath type areas and didn't seem to move around much from the 1600's up to present day. The family tree of Mitchell (Jane married George Moonlight) has been professionally researched so I have that info.

Have records of six Elizabeth Moonlights (fathers listed are all Moonlights of course:

(1) born: 28.5.1780 father: John, mother: N/A
(2) born: 10.3.1825 fr: Thomas, mtr: Agnes (nee STOTT)
(3) born: 29.3.1831 fr: Thomas, mtr: Agnes (perhaps '2' died)
(4) born: 3.4.1867 fr: James, mtr: Ann (nee BOYLE)
(5) born: 4.3.1831 fr: James, mtr: Jane (nee LINDSAY)
(6) born: 5.4.1812 fr: John, mtr: Magdalene (nee SCOTT)

Have details of siblings of all the above (as much as my record searching has given me - eg have only discovered two children for James/Jane Lindsay not four).

Have come over all funny! :-) PLEASE, please get in touch asap. Would love to know who your hubby is.

Kind regards
Annie

Re: MOONLIGHT!! Just felt a bit ill here ... I have entire family tree!

Jenny Langford (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2002 7:06AM GMT
Hello Annie,
I just wondeered if you know if any of the Moonlights in you tree came out to New Zealand. When my Grandparents were married in 1880 in Hampden NZ, one of the witnesses was Elizabeth Moonlight. She was either the wife or the daughter of George Moonlight who owned the Hampden Hotel where my GParents were married. my Grandmother worked at the hotl before she married. George Moonlight was a well known person in the Nelson area.
Just thought you might be interested.
Jenny

Kate Moonlight (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2002 10:30PM GMT
Surnames: MOONLIGHT
Thank you for all this info. I'm a little confused. Did you mean that the Thomas b1802 had 2 sons, both called Thomas born in 1869 and 1833? Was the John b1765 the one who married Magdalene Scott?
I knew about the Thomas who went to America. His cousin George (another son of James b1830/ Jane Lindsay) also went gold prospecting in New Zealand. He was known as George Fairweather Moonlight and was quite famous over there. He married and had 2 children in New zealand.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions