Search for content in message boards

HILLMAN of Castledawson, Ireland

HILLMAN of Castledawson, Ireland

Posted: 17 Nov 2008 8:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Does anyone know anything of a Hillman family of Castledawson, Ireland?

Re: HILLMAN of Castledawson, Ireland

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 7:01AM GMT
Surnames: Hillman
Yes.

Take a look at

http://www.hillmanc.fsnet.co.uk/hillman.htm

and please do contact me at the address given if you need (or can provide...) further or better infos...

Success

Charles

Posted: 18 Nov 2008 4:12PM GMT
Thanks Charles, but I am looking for Hillman's that remained in Ireland.

I am specifically looking for Mary Hillman, who married James Black.

The Hillman family in Castledawson appear to be one of the very few families of that surname in all of Ireland. When I contacted the Irish Genealogy service, they could not identify any Hillman families at all.

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 9:16PM GMT
I am a Hilman from Northern Ireland. My father is from the castledawson area and there are still plenty of Hilmans in that area. Please contact me if u need further info.

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 9:17PM GMT
See previous reply. I am a Hilman from Northern Ireland. My father is from the Castledawson area.

Posted: 21 Sep 2010 10:05PM GMT
I am looking for a Mary Hillman, born abt 1815-1825, who married a James Black. The ONLY actual date I have is of their son, Alexander Hillman-Black (possibly Alexander George Hillman-Black, both names occur is various records), born 12 Aug 1851.

By about 1870, he was in Canada, reportedly a "remittance man", paid an annual sum NOT to return home to Ireland. Family lore also indicates that he was involved in a "scandal" with a Catholic girl. We do not know if any of that is true.

We do know that he was an ardent member of the Orange Order in Canada. His grand-children all stated that he was a member of the Orange order in Ireland, and joined again in Canada as soon as he arrived, and remained a member till the day he died.

The "names" of his parents appear on his death certificate,and no where else. Two of his daughters provided that information, so we presume it is accurate, but???

Unfortunately, the Orange Order has no records of old members, so we can not trace him through that.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. The ONLY Hillman's I have been able to locate in Ireland appear to live in the CastleDawson area.

Thanks,

Lynton Stewart

Posted: 22 Sep 2010 5:48AM GMT
Surnames: Hillman, Macrory,
Dear Kenton

:My Castle Dawson (ok, Castledawson) Hillmans appear to have left for New York around 1824 but (1) I know already of a Margaret Hillman from an earlier generation who married a McCrory (family subsequently became Macrory) whose descendants were mostly in Ireland through the nineteenth century and (2) it seems likely that there were other kinsfolk who resisted the blandishments of upstate New York. From the side of my information, much of what I (think I) know is summarized at

http://www.hillmanc.fsnet.co.uk/hillman.htm .

:From the side of your information, I'd welcome more information, especially regarding your earliest known / recorded Hillman ancestor(s) (names, dates of birth/married death, spouse(s). It would be good to see if between us we can find a link.

:Either way, success with your researches. Regards Charles Hillman

Posted: 17 Jun 2011 1:16PM GMT
Surnames: Hillman
If you give me your email address I will send an interesting article from the paper in 1910 on the origins of the family.

Posted: 17 Jun 2011 3:11PM GMT
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions