Search for content in message boards

Julia RYAN / Thomas KENNEDY - Upperchurch, Tipperary, Ireland

Julia RYAN / Thomas KENNEDY - Upperchurch, Tipperary, Ireland

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 6:43AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 9 Aug 2008 9:24PM GMT
Surnames: Kennedy, Ryan
Julia and Thomas were both from Upperchurch. They came to Ottawa, Il and was married in 1864. I have been unable to find any information on them and their families from Upperchurch. They are my gggrandparents and would love to find out who their parents were and any other info. someone may have. Thank you so much.

Re: Julia RYAN / Thomas KENNEDY - Upperchurch, Tipperary, Ireland

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:14PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2008 9:25PM GMT
Hi brat820,

Their church marriage record in Canada should include at least the fathers' names and possibly both parents names.

Their obituaries and cemetery records are additional sources that may include their parents names, even their church burial record or civil death record.

What were their dates of birth? There are no civil registration records in Ireland before 1864 and no surviving census records before 1901. Church parish records that may survive for Upperchurch for their religious denomination may include their baptismal records if they were born there and didn't reside there before emigration.

Do you know what their religious denomination was?

Pat

Posted: 3 Aug 2008 9:16PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2008 9:26PM GMT
Hi brat820,

Sorry I said their church marriage record in Canada, meant their church marriage record in Ottawa, Il.

Pat

Posted: 4 Aug 2008 2:20AM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2008 9:27PM GMT
Surnames: Ryan, Kennedy
Hi Pat!
I have obituary records, but there is no mention of who their parents are. I have not gotten their marriage record as of yet. I believe they were married at St. Columba church here in Ottawa, IL, but not positive. I do have a copy of their son John T.'s marriage license from there. But want to try to get to the family history center here in town to see if i can find their marriage license. Thomas was born in 1838 and Julia in 1845, and Thomas came to US in 1851 and to Ottawa in 1852. Unable to find when Julia came??? He was only 13 when he came here thru Canada. They were married in Oct. of 1864. They were both Catholic. And as far as i know were both born in Upperchurch...I appreciate any info you may have or if you can steer me in a direction to find any info out. Thank you, Vera Kennedy

Posted: 16 Oct 2008 10:35PM GMT
Hello

I found your post about the above. My great great grandmother Mary Burke (1826 -1919)from Seskin House Upperchurch Tipperary married a Thomas Kennedy. According to family lore Thomas was a groom/coachman employed by the family and Thomas and Mary went to England where they had 3 sons. Thomas died apparently in England but I haven't found a death record and Mary returned home with her 3 sons. Mary and her sister Johanna then migrated to Australia. Mary's sons were William, Andrew and Thomas. Thomas died in Australia in 1877 I don't know what happened to the other two sons.

Will you let me know if any of this links with your information.

regards

Lynne
Australia

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 12:41AM GMT
Sorry, this would not be the same Thomas. My Thomas was from Upperchurch, Tipperary Ireland and came to the USA. His wife Julia Ryan also from Upperchurch later came and they were married in 1864. They lived and died in Ottawa, Illinois. He ran a hotel and died in 1880 , while Julia lived until 1913.
Thank you for your response though.

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 12:46AM GMT
I realised it couldn't be the same Thomas but I was interested in the name Kennedy and also Ryan. Mary Burke's (who married a Thomas Kennedy) mother was Margaret Ryan so I was really interested in exploring any information you might have on the families in the area.

I have found information fairly difficult to find in Ireland.

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 12:52AM GMT
I too have found it very difficult to find anything on Julia or Thomas before they came to USA. THat is why i posted hoping someone would know of the family's from Ireland. Wanting to find out who their parents were, etc.....So, i guess i am of no use to you either. LOL. SOrry...If i do find anything, i will be sure to let u know. Thanks, Vera

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 1:00AM GMT
Hi Vera

I will 'invite' you to my ancestry tree. There isn't much information on the family but who knows there might be something useful.

I will try and contact you directly through the ancestry connections service. It wasn't working when I tried today.

Lynne

Posted: 17 Oct 2008 1:01AM GMT
Hi Vera

I will 'invite' you to my ancestry tree. There isn't much information on the family but who knows there might be something useful.

I will try and contact you directly through the ancestry connections service. It wasn't working when I tried today.

Lynne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic