Search for content in message boards

William Pritchard, Beaufort, SC

William Pritchard, Beaufort, SC

Richard Gilbert (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jul 2002 7:40PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Pritchard
A William Pritchard is listed in the 1820 Beaufort, SC census.
He does not appear in a census before or after. He is listed as being between 26 and 45 years old, his wife is in the same age group. They have a daughter under 10.
In the same census there is a Thomas Pritchard in the same age group , a brother I think.Thomas has a large family. He does not appear in the 1810 census but is in the 1830 and is listed in the 1840 as the estate of Thomas Pritchard indicating I suppose that he had recently passed. I think this may be the first generation of my Pritchards in this country. I would appreciate very much any help to unravel the puzzle of what happened to theswe two families. Thanks, Richard Gilbert

Re: William Pritchard, Beaufort, SC

Posted: 9 Oct 2002 12:29AM GMT
Surnames: Pritchard, Heyward, Latham
I have information prior to the dates and names I'm giving you, but have yet to find a microfilm of church records in Ireland to prove what the person who the Pritchard's hired wrote from Ireland. Where you read Charleston is meant for County. Most of info from microfilm of Pritchard letters & IGI. You can e-mail me for other info.

Paul Pritchard (c. 7 May 1744 Middleton Parish, County Cork, Cloyne Diocese, Ireland; d. 5 Dec 1791 Hobcaw Plantation, Christ Church Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; buried at Hobcaw Plantation Cemetery, near Mt. Pleasant, Christ Church Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; parents Paul & Aphra Pritchard) married Ann Gibson (b. abt 1746 Of, , , South Carolina; d. 8 Oct 1788 at Hobcaw Plantation, Christ Church Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; buried at Hobcaw Plantation Cemetery, near Mt. Pleasant, Charleston, South Carolina; parents George and Martha Gibson). Their children were: Aphra Ann Nancy Pritchard (b. 19 Jun 1766 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina; c. 15 May 1767 St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; married Mr. Eve Oswald), William ("Hobcaw Billy") Pritchard (c. 26 Dec 1769 St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina - 1st mar. Mary Norris, 2nd mar. Elizabeth (Eliza) Latham), Paul Pritchard b. 27 Nov 1770 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina, died infancy), Catherine Pritchard b. 19 Aug 1772 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina; d, Mazycbborough, St. Thomas Parish, South Carolina - married Christopher FitzSimons), Paul Pritchard (b. 29 Sep 1774 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina - 1st mar. Mary Glover, 2nd mar. Elizabeth Hamilton), George Washington Pritchard (c. 28 Dec 1779 St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina. Notes say he died Abt 1780).

William Pritchard ("Hobcaw Billy") (b. 26 Dec 1769 in St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; buried in Hobcaw Plantation Cemetery, Christ Church Parish, Charleston, South Carolina)[Built several vessels for the government, including the sloop of War, John Adams, wich figured prominently in war with Tripoli, & in war w/England in 1812]). On 23 May 1790, he was married to his first wife, Mary Norris b. ? date, Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; d. 1799. Their children were: Mary Pritchard (b. 12 Mar 1791 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Catherine Pritchard, Paul Pritchard (b. Nov 1793 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Ann Aphra Pritchard (b. Abt 1795 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina - married Col. John Alexander Warren of Warren's Island and Mary's Island, Beaufort, South Carolina), Pauline Pritchard (b. Abt 1796 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina - married William Hamilton [grandchildren are Nesbits of Georgetown, SC]), John Norris Pritchard (b. Sep 1796 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina - died infancy), William Pritchard (c. 26 Dec 1798 St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina - on 4 Nov 1818 married Henrietta Warren, dau. of Col. Warren of Canehoy[ spelling?] on the Wando River [of Warren's Island and Mary's Island, Beaufort, South Carolina]) and George Pritchard (c. 26 Dec 1798 St. Philip's Parish, Charleston, South Carolina; died Charleston, South Carolina - Unmarried). "Hobcaw Billy's" 2nd marriage was on Saturday 5 Dec 1801 to Elizabeth (Eliza) Latham (b. Abt 1780 Charleston, Charleston, South Carolina; parents were Daniel and Sarah Latham). Their children were: Paul Pritchard (b. Abt 1802 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Cashal F. Pritchard (b. Abt 1804 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Corwen Pritchard (b. Abt 1806 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Lydia Ophelia Pritchard (b. 23 Jul 1810 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Richard Lushington Pritchard (b. 30 Apr 1812 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Constantia Smith Pritchard (b. 2 Sep 1814 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina - married John Heyward [rice planter, St. Luke's Parish], Pocataligo, Beaufort, South Carolina], Richard Latham Pritchard (b. 9 Aug 1815 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina), Col. William Richard Pritchard (b. 19 Dec 1817 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina; d. 1891 Savannah, Chatham, Georgia - 1st mar. mar. Margaret Virginia Barnard, 2nd mar. Miss Sneed - both wives from Savannah, Chatham, Georgia [Colonel of Artillery in Civil War]), Dr. Paul FitzSimons Pritchard (b. 10 Apr 1819 Mount Pleasant, Charleston, South Carolina - m. Martha Catherine Kirk [rice planter]), Charity Wilson Pritchard (b. 15 Jan 1821 Of, , Charleston, South Carolina).

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 12:42AM GMT
Edited: 13 Jun 2006 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Pritchard, Hamilton and Knox. All Shipwrights
The Pritchard family cemetery is just that. I believe that it is only about 20 X 20 and only has four or five graves. If you are interested I can go back and get some photo's. I am interested in Paul's brother (William's) line. I'm sure you know that Paul owned a shipyard in Charleston as well as Mount Pleasant. I would be willing to share any information. The church record I have from St. Phillips shows Paul marrying Ann Connor, not Gibson, I believe around 1764. Of course that record could be wrong. I have copies of several Pritchard wills including Pauls

Posted: 19 Mar 2003 10:42PM GMT
Richard, there were many Williams in the low country in the 1820's and before. Who is your next ancestor, meaning which child of Williams do you descend from? Can you provide any more information. I'll be glad to help.

Richard Gilbert (View posts)
Posted: 19 Mar 2003 11:09PM GMT
Surnames: Gilbert, Short, Hurst, Ross, Pritchard
Thanks for the reply, John. Could you contact me at jgilbert05@comcast.net

Thanks
Richard

Posted: 6 Aug 2003 10:04PM GMT
Richard, I believe that I have your answer. Sorry for not replying earlier but I didn't know you responded to my post.

William (Hobcaw Billy) moved to Beaufort County in the 1820's because of financial difficulties. His son Christopher Fitzsimmons also went and was responsible for bringing the family back to promience. He became a medical doctor. I know members of this line who are now living in Charleston.

Pritchardville and Pritchard Island is name after these Pritchards.

There is a book that was published that was titled "Bubbling Springs" Probably published in the 1970's that wrote all about this family.

John

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 10:02PM GMT
Edited: 28 Dec 2005 10:38PM GMT
As far as I know, the wife of Paul Pritchard (born 1744), Possible father of this William, is still unproven. The St. Philips records do say Ann Connor, but a review of the original indicates that she was a widow. And before that her name was Ann Reynolds, also as a widow.

Some have claimed her as Ann Gibson, but the only document I have seen, a will of William Gibson, does not mention her as his daugher, it mentions her as a friend. Redcliffe PLantation in Beech Island, SC has a pedigree that claims she is from Massachusetts, but to date, I am unaware of anyone who has found her direct lineage. Motte Alston Read, an outstanding genealogist in the early 1900s, did a lot of work trying to identify her origins, but also had no luck. Anybody out there have any documentation????

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 22 Nov 2004 1:01AM GMT
Hi Pat, and I agree with your conclusion. Since I posted my message some time back I only had the marriage record of Ann Connor and Paul Pritchard. I have been in contact with Edward Pritchard in Charleston who has the family bible of Anne & Paul. There is no indication of what Anne's maiden name was. There has been some mention of Gibson as well as Ball. I have a letter from his grandson, Paul Fitzsimmons Pritchard, MD written about 1905 in which he mentions to a relative (who had inquired of him) that he did not know the maiden name of his grandmother. Paul the MD was the one who actually put the family back on their feet after William (Hobcaw Billy) met some untimely economic problems. The Pritchard's moved from the Charleston area and moved to Beaufort county, with Pritchard Island being named after the family. When Hobcaw Billy died he was transported back to the family cemetery in Mt. Pleasant.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions