Search for content in message boards

Is my Mikmaq ancestry just family lore?

Is my Mikmaq ancestry just family lore?

Posted: 26 Sep 2012 5:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McLellan, Saunders, Johnston, Molineux
Have always been told that we have Mikmaq blood on my father's side. The Nova Scotia names I have traced on Ancestry are: McLellan (various spellings), Saunders, Johnston and Molineux. I can't find any indication on censuses or family trees.

Re: Is my Mikmaq ancestry just family lore?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 2:03AM GMT
Interesting about the Indian ancestry, the great mikmaqs! I also heard about the stories. My Great Grandmother was Roasinna Romkey married to John Lewis Bushen. She was suppose to have been a Mikmaq. Any connection?

Posted: 27 Dec 2012 1:29PM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2012 1:31PM GMT
Sorry I have no Bushen or Romkey connection. After tracing further, I'm pretty convinced that the Mikmaq story was just wishful thinking in my family. The only remote possibility would be a many-greats grandmother (Emma J. Young) listed as "Dutch" on the census, everyone else can be traced back to Scotland, Ireland or the American colonies. It has been cool to discover how thoroughly Nova Scotian I am (on both sides of my family).

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 12:48AM GMT
Is Molineaux Acadian French? If so, there is a possibility that the connection could be through through that line. The other names you list sound Scottish or Scots-Irish. Do you have the maiden names of all the original ancestral emigrants to Nova Scotia? It is possible if they came in the early to mid 1700's that they didn't bring a wife. Maybe they took a native wife? Have you taken an Autosomal DNA test. Does Uncertain appear as a category? Any interesting potential distant cousin matches to people from Nova Scotia through Ancestry? P.S., I also have Nova Scotia McLellan (from Anthony McLellan who was b. 1720 in Ayrshire, Scotland and came on the "Lovely Nellie.")

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 4:31PM GMT
Possibly the Molineaux line could have native links, but I haven't been able to trace her parents. I do have a small percentage (4%)of "uncertain" DNA. Thanks for the response.

Posted: 18 Jun 2013 4:34PM GMT
P.S. My earliest McLellan is David from Dungiven in N. Ireland, born 1785. His ancestors were undoubtedly from Scotland, but that's as far back as I have been able to trace.

Posted: 21 Jun 2013 6:16PM GMT
The son of Peter McLellan and Martha Wilson. My Anthony McLellan and Peter McLellan connect back in Scotland. Anthony was a son of Thomas and Elizabeth (Alexander) McLellan of Craigneil, Ayrshire, Scotland (on the border with Kilmarnock). Peter McLellan is said to have come from Northern Ireland to Nova Scotia and is also reputed to descend from Thomas McLellan, so he is perhaps a nephew of my Anthony McLellan. Anthony's wife's name is not presently available in any of the records. Some have said her name was Mary Stewart. Stewart also comes up frequently in Autosomal DNA matches to this region, but so do the surnames McClure/McClurg, McGee/McGhie, Kennedy and Steele.

I have had hits to persons descended from Scottish and Northern Irish Alexanders through the Autosomal DNA test. Scottish and Northern Irish Wilsons also appear rather frequently in the trees of my matches. Have you had hits to persons with these families in their trees?

Posted: 15 Jul 2013 8:14PM GMT
Yes, I think Its just folklore. How it started is anyone's guess. Only a Dna test will prove otherwise. Penni
per page

Find a board about a specific topic