Search for content in message boards

William Swan

William Swan

Patricia Sims (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2000 7:50PM GMT
Is anyone else researching the William Swan born about 1800, and died about 1850 in Jefferson Co., GA.? He married Elizabeth. Their children were: 9. Jabez M. Swan b:1838
1. William Swan, Jr.: b: 1821
2. Sidney B. Swan: b. abt. 1823
3. Henry J. Swan: b: 1825
4. Josiah A. Swan: b: abt. 1827
5. John C. Swan: b: abt. 1829
6. Daniel H. Swan: b: abt. 1832
7. Thomas E. Swan: b: 1834
8. Joshua K. Swan: b: abt. 1836

Swann

David Smythe (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2001 11:06PM GMT
Yes. I have copies of some early Swann bible
records and Cemetery info.

William Swann b abt 1795 (SC) d Jan 12, 1850 married Elizabeth Gross
born in Burke Co. GA

William Swann Jr. b July 10, 1821 d Aug 27, 1884 marr. Ganzada
S Smith - My line.

4 (possibly 6) sons of William Sr. died during the civil war.

Joshia A Swann died Aug 8, 1862
Jabez N Swann died Jly 16, 1862
Henry Jackson Swann died Nov 11 1864
Joshua K Swann died Feb 8 1865
Thomas E. Swann (MIA Oct 28 1864)

Sidney B. Swann died Apr 2, 1864 - Don't know if
Civil war related.

John C known to have survived the war - Paroled in

Bible records of William and Ganzada list children
and grandchildren. Grandchildren with
surname Swann I don't know who they belong to.

Do you recognize any of these names ?
Clayton Swann b 1/9/1881
James R Swann b 11/26/1882
(?)Cora Belle b 10/6/1884
Bessie b 11/2/1886
Walter Edgar b 8/23/1889
Lonnie b June 20 1892
Joe b 4/20/1895
Thomas b 9/21/1899

Swann

Posted: 5 May 2001 11:09PM GMT
Yes. I have copies of some early Swann bible
records and Cemetery info.

William Swann b abt 1795 (SC) d Jan 12, 1850 married Elizabeth Gross
born in Burke Co. GA

William Swann Jr. b July 10, 1821 d Aug 27, 1884 marr. Ganzada
S Smith - My line.

4 (possibly 6) sons of William Sr. died during the civil war.

Joshia A Swann died Aug 8, 1862
Jabez N Swann died Jly 16, 1862
Henry Jackson Swann died Nov 11 1864
Joshua K Swann died Feb 8 1865
Thomas E. Swann (MIA Oct 28 1864)

Sidney B. Swann died Apr 2, 1864 - Don't know if
Civil war related.

John C known to have survived the war - Paroled in

Bible records of William and Ganzada list children
and grandchildren. Grandchildren with
surname Swann I don't know who they belong to.

Do you recognize any of these names ?
Clayton Swann b 1/9/1881
James R Swann b 11/26/1882
(?)Cora Belle b 10/6/1884
Bessie b 11/2/1886
Walter Edgar b 8/23/1889
Lonnie b June 20 1892
Joe b 4/20/1895
Thomas b 9/21/1899

Sidney B. Swann

Patricia Sims Swann (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2001 5:43PM GMT
David, Thanks for replying. My line is Sidney B. Swann. From the info I foundhe was born abt. 1823 in Jefferson Co., Ga. and married Martha W. Ponder. Their son Robert J. Swann born 1856 was the father of Sidney B. Swann, born 1896 (my grandfather). I've looked through my notes and don't have anything on the names you mentioned. Robert Swann, had nine children, one was named Bessie, born 1887, died 1939. All of Robert Swann and wife Mollie Lowe's children died young, except my grandfather, due to a heart condition. If I run across any of those names, I'll let you know. If you would like we can swap info.

Swanns in Ga

Patricia Sims Swann (View posts)
Posted: 7 May 2001 5:55PM GMT
I found some notes I had written down a while back. Don't know if they are related to us or not. Maybe you know. In a 1900 Georgia census, a Bryant Swan, of Wrens, Jeff. Co., GA was listed as 46 yrs old born Dec 1854. Carey, his wife, 39, born, Mar 1861
. Children: Claton S., Jan 1881, James S. Nov 1883, Cora D. Oct 1885, Bessie D., Nov 1887, Walter S. Aug 1890, Lonny S, June 1893, Joseph S, Apr. 1895, and Thomas S. Sept. 1900

Swann's in GA

Posted: 9 May 2001 9:23PM GMT
Yes, Bryant was one of the sons of William M Swann, brother of Sidney B. Swann.
Bryant married Carrie (y) May. The names you gave are the names in the Bible records of the
William M. Swann family. I will put my notes together to pass on to you this weekend.
In the meantime, I uploaded images of the Swann Bible records on my web site, that as it is,
for you to examine and download. My website is http://sites.netscape.net/davidcsmythe/homepage.
A point of interest, William M Swann died in 84 and several of his children died young as well.
My ggrandmother Jabie, daughter of William and Berta her sister both had heart conditions according
to my mother who knew them both. The heart condition of the Swanns you mentioned solves the question
of why William M. Swann had several of his children die young. I also uploaded the Swann Cemetery
records.

On a side note, my grandmother was very much into keeping in touch with her family before she
died in 1972. A lot of her personal papers are in the possession of my mother. I don't know what
I may find, but I certainly will let you know of any Swann connections. My mother claims to have
an address book she maintained just for relatives.

Feel free to contact me directly. My E-Mail
address is on my web site. -David-

JD (maybe James David) Swann

Posted: 5 Jun 2001 5:40PM GMT
Edited: 1 Apr 2002 12:28AM GMT
David,
In reading through the message boards, you seems to have a feel for finding information. I have just recently started looking for my gfather and I have very limited info. I think he was born in 1893, married to my gmother, Inez Hufstetler, for a short time and my mother was born in 1922. My mothers BC list him as JW Swann (my mother remembers him as JD), residence listed as Blue Pond, GA (funny think, it listed my gmothers residence as Blue Pond, AL). He worked for the railroad in the early 1920'. Was an attorney in Gadston, AL and later moved to Texas. That is all the information I have. My question is, when did I start? Are there Swann books that might help? I have read through most of the message boards. My mother is now 79 years old and I would love to give her some information about her father before it is to late. Thank you so much for your time. Diana Holland

JD or JW Swann

David (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2001 10:15PM GMT
Don't know if I can help much. It takes a lot time to
find someone with a high degree of confidence. Don't
assume his name until you know it. JD or JW is a start.
Be aware that many will spell Swann as Swan. Because he
was born about 1893, worked for the railroad and was an
attorney, he probably had SSN. Social Security Death Index
would be a good place to start. If your mom knows where he
was between 1935-1940, that will help pin point the state of
issuance. If she knows when he died, you will find him. Get
a copy of SS application possibles from SS. Information on
applications is helpful. For example - SS shows a John Swann
who was born Dec. 23 1893, issued a SSN by the railroad, died
Jan 29, 1976 in Iowa. A lot of SSN with similar DOBs for J
Swanns for AL. & Texas.

A quick search of marriages does not show a Swann & Hufstetler
marrage, but according to LDS an Inez Hufstetler was born on
July 20, 1893 in Of GA. - Father Adam Wesley Hufstetler; Mother
Jane Alexander. Check 1900 census for Adam Hufstetler to get the
exact county to check for siblings (i.e. Aunt Ada.) Maybe your mom will recognize
a name. If so search same county for Swann (Guys really married
the girl next door.) If a Swann exists in the same county, check
the names of the household member looking for JW or JD. You might
get lucky.

Funny thing when I ran a quick search. It appears that A john Swann
in the 1890's was involved in litigation with the railroad in Alabama.
Your grandfather was a second career lawyer with a railroad past. The
acorn does not fall far from the tree. Why did he become a lawyer? Did
he work for the railroad after he became a lawyer? Was his father a
railroad man?

I know you don't know the answers to the questions; but if you ask enough
questions and try and answer them you would be suprized at what you can find
out.

Lastly, beware of:

(1) Information by authorities in the field. If they were right all the time, my name
would be Smith, not Smythe, and I would have been born on a date other than the
one I annually celebrate;

(2) County lines change all the time;

(3) There are a lot of JW & JD Swanns, known and unknow,
born about 1893.

(4) It takes time.

Good luck.

Re: Swann's in GA

Posted: 21 Jul 2002 11:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
I have just begun researching the Swann family this weekend, and have a copy of a document regarding the heirs to the widow, Carrie Way Swan(n) who died in 1939 at the age of 78.

"Georgia, Jefferson County
.....This made and executed this the 16th day of March, 1939, between the following seven heirs of Mrs. Carrie Way Swan, who departed this life on the 13th day of March 1939:
C. L. Swan, Stellaville, Ga., J. R. Swan, Newton, Ga., W. E. Swan, Augusta, Ga., L. B. Swan, Bradenton, Florida, T. E. Swan, Gibson, Mrs. W. H. Johnson, Stellaville, Ga., and Mrs. H. T. Williams, Avera, Ga.
.....Mrs. Carrie Way Swan owned at the time of her death an amount of cash money which we agree to divide equally among ourselves after all of the debts she owed at her death have been paid.
.....Mrs. Carrie Way Swan also owned at the time of her death a certain parcel or lot of land situate, lying and being in the 81st District G.M. of Jefferson County, Georgia, containing 177 1/4 acres, more or less, and bounded as follows: On the North by Miss Vallie Avera; on the East by Herbert King and Charlie Schwall; on the South by J. J. Milton, and on the West by G. A. Parish. And we, the undersigned, further agree to give to Mrs. W. H. Johnson the share in this land which would have been inherited by our brother Joe B. Swan, who died in 1923, but who did not live to inherit same. We give this to our sister, Mrs. W. H. Johnson for her kind and constant attention to our mother during the last twenty-two (22) years of her life.
.....Signatures witnessed by Jesska A Wright, Ordinary:
1. C. L. Swann
2. J. R. Swan
3. W. E. Swan
4. L. B. Swann
5. T. E. Swann
6. Mrs. W. H. Johnson
7. Mrs. H. T. Williams"

In the 1910 census for Militia District #81, Wrens, Jefferson County, Ga., Bryant & Carrie W Swan are listed with their 4 younger children: Bessie 23, Alonzo 17, Bryant J, 14, & Thomas E 10.

More about Carrie's children:
1. C. L Swan listed in 1920 Wren, Jefferson, Ga census with wife Bertha, and children Ethel, Ray (or Roy), Linard, & Ruth. I belive this is Clayton Swann.

2. James Rufus Swan born November 26, 1884; died Feb 12, 1940 at age 55 in Baker County, Ga.;
1930 census for Newton, Baker, Ga listed
James R Swan, 45; carpenter - house
Lenora, wife, 31.
Walter, son, 8;
Carrie Lou, daughter, 6
Mary Ellen, daughter, 3 ?/12
Jim May, daughter, 2 6/12.

Family tradition says that James Rufus Swann had a previous wife and at least 2 sons who died young. Walter Oliver Swann (Sep 23, 1920-Apr 29, 1995) was the first child of his 2nd marriage to Lenora, daughter of Oliver Streeter Odom. Lenora died in 1964. I haven't found James Rufus Swan(n) in the 1910 (age 25) or 1920 (age 35) census records yet.

3. W. E. Swann was Walter E Swann. At the time of the 1910 census, he lived in Wrens, Jefferson County, Ga with his wife Emma. They were newlywed; no children.

4. L. B. Swann is probably Lonnie, called Alonzo in the 1910 census for Wrens, Jefferson, Ga. He was 17, a laborer on the home farm, and living in the household of his parents, Bryant & Carrie Swan.

5. T. E. Swann was Thomas E., age 10 in the 1910 census, also listed in his parents household. He became a lawyer & Judge - probably in Bradenton, Florida.

6. Mrs. W H Johnson was Cora Swann. In the 1910 census Cora B, 25, & William H Johnson, 26, married 4 years, are listed in Wrens, Ga immediately following Cora's parents.
In 1920 Cora & her husband's household included 3 sons: Gilbert, Lester, & Carlton, as well as Cora's widowed mother, Carrie Swan, age 58.
In 1930 Cora & her husband lived in Stellaville, Jefferson, Ga. Their household included 4 sons: Gilbert, Lester, Carlton, & Rufus, as well as Cora's widowed mother, Carrie Swan, age 69.

7. Mrs. H. J. Williams - this must be Bessie.

8. Joe B Swan who died in 1923 is probably the "Bryant J Swan", age 14, son of Bryant & Carrie Swan in the 1910 census.

This is all I have so far. These 8 children of Bryant & Carrie Swan seem to be the same as the 8 grandchildren of William & Ganzada's bible. Would you be willing to share your bible & cemetery records? I was not able to access your website, but it has been over a year since you posted the address, so that might be the problem. Anything you are willing to share would be appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Swann's in GA

David C Smyth (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2002 4:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
I would be happy to share anything information I have. My E-Mail address is Davidcsmythe@netscape.net.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions