Search for content in message boards

Michael Blake Family

Michael Blake Family

Posted: 25 Jun 2013 9:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
My great grandfather was born in Co. Clare,Ireland in 1798 or '99 married Johanna Jordan born 1814 in Ireland. Their son Michael was born 9-23-1855 in LoopHead Peninsula, Co. Clare, Ireland. Any info on the Blakes from Co. Clare, Ireland would be appreciated.

Re: Michael Blake Family

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 11:06AM GMT
Mary,
Not sure where you have already looked for information, but here are a couple of suggestions:
The Clare Library www.clarelibrary.ie has a fabulous genealogy section with lots of resources for searching at no cost. This includes donated information from other researchers, and general information about Clare.
Clare Past Forum is an on-line forum located at the Library website, or accessible at http://www.ourlibrary.ca/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=1
You can do a search for the name Blake and it will bring up several pages of references to the name. Forum members are very willing to help if you post specific questions on there.
County Clare Ireland Genealogy is a Facebook group whose members are very helpful. Murray Ginnane has transcribed a huge amount of information including Baptism & Marriage registers from Carrigaholt which include numerous Blake references, all searchable on the Groups page. It is a closed group, but you can request to join, or if you want to provide your email address, I could add you.
Daniel Blake of Kiltrellig worked as farm manager for my Great-aunts at Kiltrellig Lodge, and is listed there with them in the 1901/1911 censuses.
I hope this may have been of some use to you.
Katrina

Posted: 26 Jun 2013 11:02PM GMT
my e-mail address is mrywestray@yahoo.com and you are welcom to add my name

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 9:13AM GMT
Mary,
No record for Michael Blake (Mother Johanna Jordan) in 1855 in the western part of the Loophead peninsula covering townlands from Loophead to Cross to Carrigaholt.
Lots of Jordan's living in the Cross area.
Try the eastern (Kilkee) area for Michael.
Paddy

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 1:43PM GMT
This sounds very much like the Blake's that my husband is descended from.
I haven't got any farther back than Thomas Blake (hubby's ggrandad) b Kiltrellig in 1825,he married
Mary Mcinerney in Carrigaholt on 26 Feb 1859.

They had 9 children,my hubby's grandad James b 12 Aug 1872 was one of them.

Posted: 19 Sep 2013 4:33PM GMT
Carol,
I confirm Thomas Blake from Kiltrellig married Mary McInerney Feb 26 1859 and the marriage is recorded in the Carrigaholt RC Church which was the central recording area for western Loophead townlands.
I suspect they might have actually married in "Cross" church which is close to Mary's home.
I can only locate 8 children.
Michael, Mary, John, Thomas Sep 17 1866. Thomas Jun 27 1868. Margaret, James, Daniel.
Who am I missing?
Paddy

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 10:54AM GMT
Mary & Carol,
More research available on Ancestry.com for the Michael Blake Family suggest Michael was born Sept 28 1853 not 1855.
The 1853 date appears on his April 7 1935 Mason City,Iowa, US death certificate.
Also look at the 1861 Canadian census & 1870 US census.
He had 3 brothers, Tim=1840, John=1849, (James=Born 1858 in Canada) & 3 sisters Ellen=1843, Catherine=1848, Mary=1854.
All 6 excluding James were born in Ireland.Mary has an Irish 1854 birth date as per some family tree information.
The baptism records for Carrigaholt RC church start Feb 8 1853 but Michael & Mary are not recorded. Maybe the birthdates are incorrect or not registered as up to 30% of early births were never recorded.

Mary, I guess you are interested in where did Michael 1799 & Michael 1853/5 live in County Clare and that is a difficult question to answer.
As per the 1855 Griffith report we find 6 Michael Blake's listed in the townlands of Kilballyowen & Moyarta on the Loophead peninsula..
3 in Kiltrellig ( Could be the same person)
1 in Lissalougha
1 in Rahona West
1 in Bellia
As per the 1826 Tithe (Tax) report for Kilballyowen & Moyarta we find 6 Michael Blake's listed.
2 in Kiltrellig
1 in Lissalougha
3 in Oughterard
Michael's ( 1799) wife Johanna Jordan lived in Kilballyowen townland.
Over to you.
Paddy

Posted: 20 Sep 2013 11:35AM GMT
Edited: 20 Sep 2013 11:38AM GMT
Ones that I had from the film of the parish records are.

Michael Aug 1861
John Sept 65
Martin Sept 66
Thomas jun 68
Margaret oct 1870
Maria? 1871 (she appears on the 1901 census)
James Aug 1872 died Nov 1934
Daniel Feb 77

I suspect they might have had a few miscarriages or some such between the first 2,otherwise it's a pretty big gap?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions