Search for content in message boards

Columbia Co., PA Benders Bef 1845?

Columbia Co., PA Benders Bef 1845?

Posted: 13 Sep 2005 3:02AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 6:52PM GMT
Surnames: Bender, Turner, Courtney
Looking for Columbia Co., PA Benders.

Jacob Bender (b. abt 1800 PA) and Mary (b. abt 1808 PA) moved to Dekalb Co., IL for the 1850 census, then onto Jones Co., IA (1860/1870/1880 census). Looks like nine children - must have left PA around 1845.

Jacob had a brother, Thomas Bender (b. abt 1810 PA) wife Barbara (b. abt 1813 PA) with 4 children. They were in Medina Co., OH 1850 before settling in Jones Co., IA.

(Surname Notes: Jacob Bender>daughter Sarah Ann Bender marr. Turner>their son C. W. Turner marr. Sarah G. Courtney in Jones Co., IA.)

Any ideas appreciated!
Randy Miller

Morton Bender Columbia Co., PA?

Posted: 16 Sep 2005 6:39PM GMT
Surnames: Bender, Pealer
Already posting an Update to above thread:

I found a biography of Elias P. Bender, Fishing Creek Twp, Columbia Co, PA, in the genweb:
J.H. Battle. History of Columbia and Montour Cos. in Pa., Chicago: A. Warner & Co. 1887:
http://ftp.rootsweb.com/pub/usgenweb/pa/columbia/bios/b53600...

"...MORTON BENDER, a farmer, who died in Mount Pleasant Twp, near Orangeville. His children were JACOB and THOMAS, who died in Iowa; DAVIS and GEORGE (twins), the former living in Nebraska and the latter in Sullivan Co., Pa; POLLY, who died in Mount Pleasant; CATHERINE in Greenwood; LYDIA in Orange; MARY in Sullivan CO., and AARON, the father of our subject..."

According to Iowa obit: Mary Pealer (b. 5 Feb 1804 Columbia Co., PA) married Jacob Bender on 16 Mar 1826 (Columbia Co., PA ). They moved to OH, then IL, finally settled in Wyoming twnsp, Jones Co., IA.

Re: Morton Bender Columbia Co., PA?

Posted: 22 Sep 2005 5:00PM GMT
All right, Morton Bender is, in fact:
Johannes Martin BENDER, b. 3/27/1777, Moore Twp., Northampton Co, PA. d. 6/23/1850, Mt. Pleasant Twp., Columbia Co., PA.
I figured I'd better update the thread... (Many thanks to Sarah's Bender website!)

Re: Columbia Co., PA Benders Bef 1845?

Posted: 30 Sep 2011 11:08PM GMT
Edited: 30 Sep 2011 11:27PM GMT
It has been several years since your post so you have probably found this, but the story of the Benders (Jacob Bender and Mary Pealer and their move from PA to Iowa is here: http://www.oxfordjctgenealogy.com/main/ (which is small towns:
Southeastern Jones County, Iowa and its European origins) click on 'Wyoming' and the first entry is "The Bender Story." Jacob (John) and Mary are my gg aunt and uncle. Jacob's brother Thomas Bender married Barbara Pealer (sister of Mary Pealer Bender). Their daughter Catherine Bender married David Scofield McDonald. One of their sons (William) was my mother's father.

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 1:51PM GMT
Mary Alice, I have the documented Bender genealogy back 5 generations from Joh. Martin and sons Jacob and Thomas, if you are interested. Send me your e-mail address. Thanks for the David S. McDonald addition.
Sarah

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 1:53PM GMT
......and the Pealer genealogy back to Joh. on the ship Molly 1727. Sarah

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 3:32PM GMT
Hi Mary Alice - Oh no! I don't have "The Bender Story" and the Wyoming Link doesn't work.

Does anyone have anything on Sarah Ann Bender's first husband - Mr. Turner? A direct relation, and it's a dead end ! She must have married Turner shortly after the 1850 census (she was with her father, Jacob Bender) in De Kalb Co., IL. And he must have died before 1853 when they arrived in Jones Co., IA - perhaps en route. In that brief time they had two children: Charles Wesley Turner b. 29 Jun 1852 Dekalb Co., IL and Amanda Turner b. abt 1854 IA. I've scoured the LDS library microfilms and have come up with nada... Sarah Ann married again in Jones Co., IA - to Samuel McCalmant. They had issue. He, too disappears in the 1860's - probably Civil War.

1850 IL - De Kalb Co.
p 310 - Franklin twnsp (19 Nov)
38/41 Jacob Bender 50 m farmer PA
Mary 42 f PA
Sarah A. 20 f PA
John 15 m PA
Isaac 11 m PA
Lucy J. 9 f PA
Joshua 6 m PA
Joseph 3 m OH

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 4:56PM GMT
Surnames: Bender, Turner, Courtney
This post was deleted by the author on 1 Oct 2011 5:26PM GMT

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 5:25PM GMT
Edited: 1 Oct 2011 5:46PM GMT
Do you have the info on Samuel McCalmant? (Someone else's info: )He was the s/o Robert McCalmant, b. 8/28/1811, and Catherine Pealer, sister of Mary. Samuel was b. 3/15/1835, m. Sarah (Turner) and they had Mary Catherine, b. 1860, Emma, b. 1861, Margaret Ann, b. 1862. Samuel entered the Iowa Infantry 9/6/1862, and died of "disease" 10/28/1863 in Louisana. Sarah Turner's dau. Amanda m. G. L Farrington.

Posted: 1 Oct 2011 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Bender Turner McCalmant
Yep, Charles Wesley Turner was the son of the elusive Mr. Turner and Sarah Ann (Bender). Here are some interesting tidbits found in C. W. Turner's obits - from Jones Co., IA and Sioux Falls, SD. My aunt has the original clippings - so they are not online (that I know of). There's a mention of Sarah and her Benders arriving in Jones Co., IA - so I'll post it here:

Obituary - Charles W. Turner
Jones Co., Iowa

Charles W. Turner of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, died at his home in that city on the 13th of January, 1901, after a short illness. He was born in DeDalb county, Illinois, June 29th, 1852, and while an infant was brought to the place by his mother, Mrs. Sarah Ann McCalmant, who with her folks settled here about forty-eight years ago. He was married to Miss Sarah Courtney in Madison township, this county, Nov. 7th, 1872. He moved to Sioux Falls about twenty years ago where he made his money up to his death. He was a man of considerable financial ability and had accumulated a competency, owned a farm within the city limits and some city property. He leaves a wife and three children to mourn his loss; also his mother, an aged lady who resides at this place.

Obituary - Charles W. Turner
Sioux Falls, S.D.

Chas. W. Turner, who was taken ill with pneumonia on January 2, died at 5 o'clock Sunday afternoon and will be buried in Mount Pleasant cemetery at 2 o'clock this afternoon. The funeral will take place from his late residence, on and a half miles northeast of the city.

The deceased was born June 29, 1852, making him 48 years of age on June last. He leaves a wife and three children, two gils and a son, the latter 25 years of age. The daughters are 19 and 22 years of age. The son and elder daughter are married. Mr. Turner has been a resident of Sioux Falls for the past eighteen years.

Auction - C. W. Turner estate
Sale of stock.
High grade horses and cattle to be offered.
On Wednesday next, Mrs. C.W. Turner, administratrix of the estate of the late C.W. Turhner, will conduct a sale of horses, cattle, farm machinery and other articles. The sale will be held at the residence of Mrs. Turner, on and a half miles northeast of the city, below the old packing house. Among the live stock which will be offered for sale are a high grade stallion, two Shetland ponies, two Angora goats and other stock of an exceptionally good quality. The sale will commence at 10 o'clock in the morning and continue all day.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions