Search for content in message boards

Levi Sutherland b. 1812 SC

Levi Sutherland b. 1812 SC

Dwight Southerland (View posts)
Posted: 10 Sep 2002 6:07PM GMT
Classification: Query
My GGG grandfather was Levi Sutherland, recorded as a minister, b 1812 in SC, married Melinda/Malinda ????. She was also born in SC. He moved to MS in 1830-1840 time frame I think. There is no record of him in 1850 MS census, but 1860 census he has children born 1844 & 1845 in MS. He may have lived in AL for a short while, but I cannot substantiate it. I have looked some in SC records, and know there are about three "pockets" of Sutherlands (spelled Surtherlin, Sutlin, Sutherlin, Southerlin, Sutherlon, etc. etc.) but I have not been able to make a solid connection. Actually, common family names in my family are Charles, James Walter, and Thomas, who all appear in SC and others. I just don't know how or where to continue searching.

I have history of Levi & most of descendents if anyone is interested.

Re: Levi Sutherland b. 1812 SC

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 8:17PM GMT
Please e-mail me at jacks38125@aol.com

I am a descendant of Levi Sutherland through his son, James Sutherland.

Dwight Southerland (View posts)
Posted: 25 Sep 2006 3:39PM GMT
Really?? I am very interested in any information you have. My lineage is Levi Sutherland c.1812 SC => Levi Sutherland b.1844 MS => James Walter Sutherland b. 1867 MS => Hugh E. Southerland b.1896 AR => Lowell S. Southerland b. 1921 AR. I cannot seem to get past Levi Sutherland (Sr) with any accuracy. I do know he was born in SC and his first wife Malinda (Melinda) was born 1822 in SC, but that is all. Also, he was a minister. He moved to Choctaw county MS in the 1840s and pastored a church there. He died in 1881 and is buried in that region. The records I have for an 1860 MS census shows the only male children for SC Levi named Levi and Thomas.

Posted: 21 Jun 2011 2:16AM GMT
I don't suppose you have a Samuel Sutherland who married Nancy Bartlett around 1816? His son William Wesley Sutherland was born in SC, the family moved to TN where Samuel died in 1849-1850 at age 55, and my William Wesley Sutherland family moved to Arkansas where he died in Fulton County in 1890. Samuel Sutherland and Nancy Bartlett are brick walls for me so any ideas where to look will be appreciated.

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 1:24AM GMT
Do you know where they lived in Tennessee? I have a mother, Mary Sutherland b ? in TN, with son William Washington Sutherland, b 1826 TN but unknown father - maybe a Mr. Hill. Wm Washington moved to Gasconade Co MO abt 1845.

Thx, Laine

Posted: 22 Jun 2011 2:03AM GMT
No connection that I know. My group went to AL, then Choctaw County MS, then Randolph county Arkansas.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions