Search for content in message boards

John Brooks

John Brooks

Posted: 21 Sep 2007 4:37PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am looking for information on John Brooks family that came from Ireland around 1796 and settled in Shelby County. Kentucky. John and his wife Betsy (Oliver) had 4 sons. Thomas, Andrew, James (all born in Ireland) John(Born in Shelby county, Ky in 1799)

I have traced my side of the Family (Thomas) now I working on the other brothers.

Re: John Brooks

Posted: 16 Jul 2008 5:42AM GMT
Surnames: Brooks
I, too, am descended from John Brooks. It has been extrmely difficult to find anything regarding this 'John Brooks'. My Grandfather was Joseph H. Brooks, born 1890. I recently found a document his wife/my grandmother had someone compile for her years ago. The only info I seem to be able to add to Thomas' brothers is DOBs.
Thomas, 1783 - Ireland
Andrew, 1794 - Ireland
James, 1796 - Ireland
John, 1799 - Shelby Co., KY
Her information states there were 3 other children - no info on them.
Have you been able to find any info on Betsy Oliver? The only info I have is that she was born in England and the
family emigrated in 1795.
I hope this is of some help.

Posted: 16 Jul 2008 5:43AM GMT
I, too, am descended from John Brooks. It has been extrmely difficult to find anything regarding this 'John Brooks'. My Grandfather was Joseph H. Brooks, born 1890. I recently found a document his wife/my grandmother had someone compile for her years ago. The only info I seem to be able to add to Thomas' brothers is DOBs.
Thomas, 1783 - Ireland
Andrew, 1794 - Ireland
James, 1796 - Ireland
John, 1799 - Shelby Co., KY
Her information states there were 3 other children - no info on them.
Have you been able to find any info on Betsy Oliver? The only info I have is that she was born in England and the
family emigrated in 1795.
I hope this is of some help.

Posted: 16 Jul 2008 1:46PM GMT
Thank you for responding.
John Brooks and his sons have been hard to trace. Our common Grandfather before John is Thomas (John's and Betsy Eldest Son) My Aunt has what she calls the family bible from Thomas. Might be why she only says there were 4 sons.

Would like to know more about what you have from your grandmother(I have her listed as Ruth (No Last Name) B:1895 Mississippi D:???) Here is what I have on your grandfather.

JOSEPH HOWARD5 BROOKS (JOSEPH JOYNER4, JOSEPH HOWARD3, THOMAS2, JOHN1) was born 28 Oct 1890 in
Mississippi, and died Dec 1980 in Jackson, Hinds, Mississippi, United States of America.
He married RUTH. She was born 1895 in Mississippi.

Notes for JOSEPH HOWARD BROOKS:
Was a Minister in M. E. Chruch in Senatobia in 1917.

More About JOSEPH HOWARD BROOKS:
Residence: 1900, Beat 3, Coahoma, Mississippi

More About RUTH:
Residence: 1920, Okolona, Chickasaw, Mississippi

Children of JOSEPH BROOKS and RUTH are:
i. NANCY R BROOKS, b. 1912, Mississippi.

More About NANCY R BROOKS:

Residence: 1920, Okolona, Chickasaw, Mississippi

ii. JOSEPH H BROOKS, b. Jun 1919, Mississippi

Which of the children are you from? Updates to contine the line to present would be welcome. Let me know a good email address and I will send a pdf file of what I have.

Thanks
Cole Brooks
Colebrooks1@yahoo.com
Memphis

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Brooks, Fellers
David Moorman & Rita Fellers Brooks were buried at Arlington National Cemeter, March 2006.

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 8:09PM GMT
So which brother do you descend from:
John Oliver, James Harvey, Thomas Banks or Samuel Herron?

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 8:22PM GMT
Charles Benton Brooks, Capt Joseph H. & Ruth Jaco Brooks' 2nd son also authored the following books:
"Pierian Spring: The true account of the case of John Toiro, as revealed in pamphlets, records, documents, journals, letters, etc., of the time" by Charles B Brooks (Unknown Binding - 1991)
"The girl, the street, the song: Maria Severa and the birth of the Fado" by Charles B Brooks (Unknown Binding - 1997)
"Disaster at Lisbon: The great earthquake of 1755" by Charles B Brooks (Hardcover - 1994)
"The old man's money: by Charles B Brooks (Unknown Binding - 1998)

I believe there is another one, if you are interested.

Posted: 18 Jul 2008 11:04PM GMT
Samuel Herron.
William Harrison.
Robert Newton.
William R.
William Cole. (Me)

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 2:55AM GMT
Another Brooks is Buried in Arlington
Killed in the Ardenne Forest, My grandfather's older brother. My grandfather (Robert Newton Brooks) was on a troop transport on it's way to France when the Armist was signed.

BROOKS, WEAVER R
CO B. 358TH INF.
WORLD WAR I
DATE OF DEATH: 10/13/1918
BURIED AT: SECTION 18 SITE 2326
ARLINGTON NATIONAL CEMETERY

Posted: 19 Jul 2008 3:12AM GMT
Would love to hear more. I have updated my Brooks information on what you have out there.

How much information do you have on Joseph Howard Brooks Your grandfather's Grandfather. He was preacher and their is Brooks Memorial Chapel in Coldwater Mississippi, that was built to honor him.

From what I have, all kids had double letters in their name. Your Grandfather's Father was Joseph Joyner Brooks (J.J)

His younger brother Barry Boswell went on the be a big cotton merchant and his son, B.B Jr went on to help run the Memphis Cotton exchange in Memphis.

Keep me posted on what you have on that side of the family.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions