Search for content in message boards

Andrew THOMPSON, Fivemiletown 1835

Andrew THOMPSON, Fivemiletown 1835

Posted: 19 Jan 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 5 Sep 2001 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON, MITCHELL, ROSS
I'm looking for information about Andrew THOMPSON, b.25 Sept 1835 in Fivemiletown, Co. Fermanagh, s/o Allan THOMPSON and Ann ROSS. He, his mother, his uncle Robert ROSS, and at least one brother (name unknown) set sail from Liverpool and arrived in Montreal, Canada in 1844. They eventually settled in Simcoe Co., ON.

Anyone with any information on the THOMPSON or ROSS families in the Fivemiletown area, please contact me.

Re: Andrew THOMPSON, Fivemiletown 1835

Posted: 23 Jun 2011 7:24PM GMT
Are you sure Fivemiletown is in Fermanagh? I also have ancestors reported to have come from Fivemiletown, though their grave markers say they were natives of county Fermanagh.

Posted: 24 Jun 2011 6:59AM GMT
Fivemiletown is in Co. Tyrone but it's right on the border with Fermanagh. It wouldn't be at all surprising to find someone from Fermanagh buried there, either because they had moved to live there or because they lived in Fermanagah but Fivemiltown was the nearest church, and they worshipped there.

Posted: 5 Jul 2011 5:43PM GMT
By the time of Griffith Valuation 1860 Fivemiletown was in the Clogher Union, Parish Clogher, Tyrone. Parishes could expand, contract, join and leave other Unions depending on the Diocese.

There were both Ross and Thompson but none in Fivemiletown but this is just 1860. The Tithe of the 1820's could give you a different snap shot in time.

Fermanagh is Northern Ireland and is the telephone directory. There are just 2 surnames Ross, one Enniskillen and one Derrhillagh. 30 Thompson's, but not specifically Fivemiletown a good map could help you.

Tyrone in the NL directory and there you can breakdown to Fivemiletown, Tyrone and there are 12 Thompson's and 2 named Ross. In Northern Ireland the postal codes are included with the phone numbers.

While waiting for contacts you can write some letters.

It is unlikely the families set sail from Liverpool, but ship might of as the ships then stopped at Irish Ports on their way to North America.

Annette Code

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 12:02AM GMT
Annette,

Not sure I would agree with you about it being unlikely that the family travelled from Liverpool. I agree that some emigrants ships did call in Ireland en route from Britain, but many did not and huge numbers of Irish emigrants just made their way to Liverpool to join them. Liverpool was for several hundred years the biggest emigrant port in the British Isles and the departure point for many European and British emigrants as well as Irish. The shipping agents often threw in the cost of the ferry from Ireland to Liverpool free, as part of the price of the onward ticket to the US, Canada or Australia. There’s a bit about it on the attached link:

www.finnvalley.ie/history/emigration/index.html

Elwyn

Posted: 6 Jul 2011 4:17AM GMT
99% of passengers records I see say Liverpool but if you read the manifest they stop in Ireland. I know Liverpool is the Irish Capitol of England but people living in the middle of Ireland are unlikely to cross the country and take a boat to Liverpool, then get on a ship whose first call is perhaps Dublin, New Ross, or Cobh/Queenstown.

I will read your link as I love history.Annette

Posted: 18 Mar 2013 2:41PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Ross
This was posted a long time ago so I hope that you've had some success in the interim. Andrew Thompson is my great grandfather. I've had no success learning anything about his parents but would be delighted to hear if you've made any progress.

Posted: 9 Jul 2013 7:08AM GMT
Hi Mr. Thompson

I Am from Costa Rica and here is a important part of the Thompson Family migrated from Fife Scothland my
GrandFather was Roberto Thompson Mc Quilen
I suppose that is family of Andrew Thompson that I read migrate to Canada, well the first Thompsons arrive to Costa Rica to construct The Train Rail to Atlantic Ocean Caribean Zone "Limon" of Costa Rica
The names Margaret, Elizabeth, Allan, Robert, Eric are names of my family
Write me back
Eric wachiman1@gmail.com

Posted: 3 Dec 2013 3:00PM GMT
I have THOMPSON family who lived near Tempo, Co. Fermanagh. James THOMSPON immigrated to Ontario, Canada about 1830. Records indicate he was from the townland of Leam, near Tempo. His sister Jane THOMPSON stayed in Fermanagh. She married Oliver HOWE and they lived in the townland of Claranagh, near Tempo. Three of their sons immigrated to Ontarion, Canada --- following their Uncle James THOMPSON To Norfolk County, Ontarion. They settled there or in nearby counties. Mary HOWE immigrated to New York.

By any chance have you tested with Family Tree DNA? If so, let's compare results. I have had some great successes doing this :-)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions