Search for content in message boards

William Sutherland - born Flotta 1770

Graham Ralph (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sutherland
I am the GGGG grandson of William Sutherland (born Flotta 1770). His father is listed as a John Sutherland. It appears that William had two brothers, Robert (born Flotta 1771) and James (born Flotta 1780), and one sister Frances (born Flotta 1782). All four travelled to Gravesend, Kent between 1792 and 1805, perhaps via the weekly oyster smack which ran to London (Gravesend being the first port on the Thames) and all the Sutherlands in Gravesend are descended from William. Does any one know of any other relations of William, Robert, James and Frances and partilcularly of John Sutherland. Can the family be linked into any one elses family trees?

William Sutherland

Posted: 19 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Drinkard, Hill, Parnell
My GG Grandfather William Sutherland married a Catherine Drinkard in 1844, I have no information on him or his wife except for their marriage..My sister and I have been searching for a while now trying to find information on William Sutherland..like where he came from..He live at some time in South Carolina and maybe Virginia..Please reply..thank you.

Graham Ralph (View posts)
Posted: 3 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
My William lived in Gravesend, Kent, England for the remainder of his life, dying in 1863. He was married twice, first in 1792 to Mary Harrison and secondly in 1838 to Mary Elkin. Unfortunately it seems that he is not the same as your William.

Sutherland

David Palmquist (View posts)
Posted: 27 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Simpson, Hay, Gerrick, Garrioch
I have a Sutherland in my family tree from Flotta. It's a small island. We likely have a link. Contact me by private email and we can check it out. One married into the Simpson line; a Simpson married into the Hay line. We have other family in Cornwall, Yorkshire and Canada.

David Palmquist.

Must be a relative.

Re: William Sutherland - born Flotta 1770

Posted: 29 Oct 2005 10:41PM GMT
I am related to Robert Sutherland. I didnt know that he had a possible brother called William until recently after contact with another descendant of William Sutherland. Have you got proof that they were all brothers and sisters?

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 1:03PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland/Tonge
Hi I am married to another of the Sutherland line - coming down from William & Mary Elkin. I think you fell into the same trap of William's father 'John' and Jane Peebles. Their William died in the Orkneys. Our William died in Gravesend December 1863 buried in Gravesend & Milton Cemetery with brother Robert, sister Frances and wife Mary. There is a headstone still standing. Nice to find another family doing the same research.If it is of any use to you I do have a photo of the headstone. Also one of Sarah Webster Tonge (nee Sutherland),(daughter of Robert & Susannah). William sister Frances died without marrying and therefore did not have any children. If you want to get in contact then please do. It would be nice to swop information with another member of the prolific Sutherlands.

Posted: 2 Jul 2007 1:06PM GMT
Hi again, just read your other message. Yes they are related and as I said before are buried together and I do have proof of the relationship. Hope to hear from you soon. Joyce

Posted: 6 Feb 2013 11:53AM GMT
I am intersted to make contact with Joyce Sutherland regarding your connections with William Sutherland and Sarah Webster Tonge. I am an ancester of william and have researched the family for many many years. I am surprised that you have been able to confirm that William, Robert and Frances are all brothers and sisters.Would be very interested to know how you came by this and also to see a picture of Sarah . Would be more than happy to exchange information.

Posted: 18 Feb 2013 5:32PM GMT
Surnames: Sutherland, Tonge
Hi, We have researched the family tree back to William, he is the cousin, not brother, of Robert and Francis Sutherland. We thought at first they were brothers as they seemed to travel to Gravesend, Kent, together. They are all buried in the cemetery at Gravesend with other members of the Tonge family, there are two a memorial stones. They were one of the four founding fishing families of Gravesend. Would be willing to exchange any details with you.

Posted: 21 Feb 2013 4:53PM GMT
Hello Joyce. The message was placed by a friend of mine who has access to Ancestry - I do not. Hence the fact that you did not recognise me, I am Stanley from Essex who you corresponded with some time ago. Unfortunately I have lost your e-mail address. I am hoping that you still have mine as I would like to correspond with you outside of the Message Board.There are one or two points I would like to discuss before I make my 5th holiday in Orkney in April. If you haven't got it , then can you let me have some form of contact details for you. Or let me know who you are married to or who your Father is. I might be able to find you that way.
Stanley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions