Search for content in message boards

Harbin's of Haywood County.

Harbin's of Haywood County.

Posted: 29 May 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 21 Aug 2002 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Harbin
Would like any info on Harbin's of Haywood County.

james westly harbin

carolyn webb (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: scott, harbin
James Westly Harbin came to Beaver dam in haywood co. sometime after 1820. he was a school teacher and surveyor turned farmer. wife's name was mary?. Had at least 2 daughters, sarah and louisa. sarah married george scott and had 4 sons, william w, john k., marcus le, horris g.
After Sarah died around 1876 george married her sister louisa and had 3 more sons, aurther, james w., and rufus m.
louisa had one son prior to marriage named perry le harbin.
borned in 1881.
hope this information helps.
Posted: 27 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:13PM GMT
James W. Harbin married Polly Hall, daughter of Enoch, on 29 Aug 1835, Haywood Co., NC. Enoch Hall was the bondsman, with S. Fitzgerrald, Clerk, the witness. Polly was a very common nickname for Mary.
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 4:13PM GMT
Surnames: Scott
I just checked my 1850 Haywood Co., NC census CD and here is the Scott family (#682/703) - William Scott, 58, b. SC; Rachel Scott, 47; Mary, 21; Luizer, female, 15; John, 13; Elisha, 9; "Georg" M., 7; Charity, 3; Riller Scott, female, 24; Harriett, 3; Martha 2. (Rest born in NC). Living next door to them was Umphres P. Scott, 19 and Rachel, 23, both born in NC.

I also have Medford's printed book of the 1850 Haywood Co., NC census book. He added other information to the census records. He has Mary as Mary Elizabeth; Harriet as Harriet Bess and lists Harriet and Martha as granddaughters of William & Rachel Scott. No doubt this is correct, but is Riller their daughter or dau-in-law? He has "Umphres" as Humphry Posey Scott and his wife as Rachel Phillips. The Haywood Co., NC marriage book has H. P. Scott married on 21 Aug 1850, but name of bride is blank. C. B. Philips was the bondsman, with S. W. Gaston, Clerk, the witness.

harbin

carolyn webb (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: harbin, scott
Thanks for the information, on the 1880 census James Westly Harbin's wife was listed as Mary. I am also looking for any information on William Scott, wife rachel who located in Beaver Dam at the same time as Harbin.

William Scott

Carolyn Webb (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Scott
Thanks so much for your information, William Scott was my ggggrandfather. I have spent many hours at the library trying to find the information you gave me.

I have nothing on a Riller Scott, but I do have a Mitilda b1828 and married to David Bess, that would account for Harriett and Martha. Humphry's wife was Rachel, he was killed in the Civil War at Strawberry Plains, Georgia.

I knew that William Scott was born in SC but I can't find where in SC. Thanks again.

Re: james westly harbin

Posted: 20 Jan 2002 4:26PM GMT
I have a James W. Harbin, born about 1833. He married Amanda Bailey, Nov 10, 1853. James is buries in the Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta, Georgia. He was the son of William Carroll Harbin.

Any information?

Re: Scott

George Scott (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 7:17AM GMT
I am a descendant of Humphrey Posey Scott and his father William Scott. From the 1830 and 1840 Haywood censuses, it appears Riller was William's daughter, as there was a female of her age living in the home then.
It surprises me that Humphrey Posey Scott married Rachel Phillips. 30 years ago, I determined that he married Rachel Woods, the daughter of Jonathan and Polly Woods. I don't remember now what led me to that decision. I will have to review it. Any light that can be shed on this would be appreciated.
Actually, there is a Phillips connection. Humphrey Posey Scott died during the Civil War, possibly in 1861. His widow, Rachel Scott had a love affair with Christopher Phillips, but they never got married. Christopher Phillips may have lived in Canton. The love affair produced Rachel's youngest child, John Montravale Scott--my great grandfather (born 1865). I haven't been able to locate Christopher Phillips, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: William Scott

George Scott (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 7:32AM GMT
I am also a descendant of your William Scott. Based on the ages of the girls listed in the 1830, 1840 and 1850 Haywood censuses, I had figured Matilda and Mary were the same person.

Please read the other message I sent on William Scott. I would love to share info.

Re: Scott

Posted: 10 Jan 2003 8:09PM GMT
I'm also descended from Humphrey Posey Scott and would love to share info.

Cindy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions