Search for content in message boards

FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 6:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
I AM STARTING A NEW THREAD BY QUOTING MYSELF IN THIS ONE, IN HOPES IT WILL BE HELPFUL FOR OTHERS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT HOW TO USE FTM 2012 IN PARALLELS ON A MAC:

Re: "File system of FTM 2008" - updated 2011 for FTM 2012 in a Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Thank you for solving my dilemma, even though it is 3 years later! I have FTM 2012 installed on a Windows 7 virtual machine in Parallels 7, running within Mac OS 10.7.2(Lion). I, too was getting a "Not enough space on drive" error message when trying to restore a file, even though there was clearly more than enough space on my drive.

A wee light bulb went off in my brain with the comment about it not working with a backup from a network drive. The way my Parallels is set up, Documents is a shared folder which is located on the Mac side. Windows Explorer sees these shared folders as network drives named psf(--). While FTM seems to work OK with this setup in its regular functions, the restore function does not.

I copied the FTM folder into the Users\Administrator\My Documents folder on the C drive in the Windows 7 virtual machine. The restore went through without a hitch. I feel like I am in a time machine, thanking people in a conversation that happened 3 years ago!

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:11PM
HOWEVER... the restored tree is listed as a separate tree, which is not linked to the ancestry tree it used to be linked with :^( . Maybe because I renamed it. I will try doing it again without renaming it.

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 11:23PM
Nope, doesn't work. No matter what I name it or whether I save it to the original or new location, I will have to either upload it and link it to Ancestry as a new tree, or download the Ancestry tree as a new tree in FTM.

Re: FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 2:12PM GMT
Bonjour,

I have the same problem, but with Windows XP. When you say you copied the FTM folder into the Users\Administrator\My Documents folder on the C drive in the Windows 7 virtual machine, what is the contents of this FTM folder? Did you place the file to restore in this folder?

Thank you for your help.

Re: FTM 2012: Error Message "Not enough space on drive" with attempt to restore file in Windows 7 Parallels VM on Mac OS Lion

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 5:33PM GMT
All that should be necessary is to copy the file you're trying to restore (e.g. "Smith Family.ftmb") into the virtual C: drive of the VM. Then when you restore it, make sure you're selecting a location on that virtual C: drive in which to place the tree.

I run FTM2012 in VMWare Fusion, mostly for troubleshooting problems from the forum or to help out family members who use the Windows version. However my personal tree is in FTM Mac 2, which after the most recent updates has "almost" every feature from FTM2012 and even a few benefits (e.g. able to directly create PDFs of more than 200" dimension). You might look at switching to the native Mac app.

Posted: 5 Apr 2013 7:12PM GMT
Thank you for the info. My original FTM file is a Mac 2 file, but I have a lot of troubles with it. Not able to export a Gedcom, not able to compact the file, not able to merge places and a few other bugs. This is why I am trying to migrate to Windows FTM to do these operations and then back to Mac. I have a big Mac FTM file 950 Mo.

Posted: 29 Apr 2013 6:39AM GMT
Moving the backup to the C: desktop folder and then restoring it to the C: desktop did the trick. Thanks for this post.

Posted: 17 Jul 2013 8:34PM GMT
This information solved the same problem on a VMWare Fusion Windows 7 Ultimate virtual installation on MAC OS (Mountain Lion). Thank you very much.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions