Search for content in message boards

SPRAGUE - N. Cowichan OBIT

SPRAGUE - N. Cowichan OBIT

Posted: 24 Apr 2010 9:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Mary Ann Florence Sprague d. 4 March 1954 age 73. She was the wife of Frederich Thomas Sprague. I am hoping to learn if there was an obituary for her. She was the mother of at least 2 dghts: Amy Davies and Annie Davies, both born in Wales. She also had been married to a Gladstone and those dghts sometimes used that surname. She went by FLORENCE. Dght Amy came to Canada in 1921 at age 9 and she joined her mother in British Columbia. Dght Annie came to Canada sometime around 1926 and remained in Montreal, Quebec where she married John Allison in 1929. They had 4 children; only one is alive. He is the gson of Florence Sprague and is trying to learn if any of her descendants are still living in British Columbia. We think that Florence had at least one other child with given name of Wynne (Win) but do not know what surname or sex the child was.
We think that if we can find an obit for Florence Sprague that it will help us locate any living relatives the gson may have.

Thanks, Bettye

Re: SPRAGUE - N. Cowichan OBIT

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 1:03AM GMT
Surnames: SPRAGUE, DAVIES,
Hi, Better information in this query/posting.

Do a Google Search: Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - British Columbia.
There are Voluntees who offer Search for Public Record .Registrations . Others may offer search for OBITUARY. others offer Cemetery Photo.

Mary Ann Florence SPRAGUE Age:73 Event:Death
Place North Cowichan Date:1954 3 4 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1954-09-003132
Microfilm #:B13219 (GSU # 2032965)

Frederick Thomas SPRAGUE Age:81 Event:Death
Place North Cowichan Date:1970 4 26 (Yr/Mo/Day)
Reg. Number:1970-09-006135
Microfilm #:B13303 (GSU # 2034211)

*PERHAPS:** other entries with the middle name WYNNE -so possible that this is not family connected.

Groom Cecil Wynne DAVIES
Bride Elsie Merle LORIMER
Place Victoria Date:1930 6 7 (Yr/Mo/Day) Event:Marriage
Reg. Number:1930-09-368741
Microfilm #:B13759 (GSU # 2074555)

Marriages: Did Annie have a middle name ?

Groom Sidney Redvers SAUNDERS
Bride Annie Victoria W DAVIES
Place Victoria Date:1925 8 14 (Yr/Mo/Day) Event:Marriage
Reg. Number:1925-09-284482
Microfilm #:B13749 (GSU # 2074319)

**Shows names of parents of bride and groom - including maiden names of the mothers.

Grandson of Florence SPRAGUE /DAVIES/GLADSTONE - nee OWENS
son of Annie DAVIES - John ALLISON in Montreal.

Husband ? DAVIES - deceased in U.K.?
Marriage to GLADSTONE ?
Were there any GLADSTONE children?
SPRAGUE marriage Where?

Cheers, Stella

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 1:34AM GMT
Stella, I have searched every record that I can find on this family. John Allison (gson of Florence Owens Davis Gladstone Sprague) only saw her once in his life. She came to Montreal when he was young.
It took his mother, Annie Davies/Gladstone/Allison 35 yrs to find Florence. She went to BC and visited her and a sibling about 1950. The only thing we know is what I have posted other than the Allison data. No idea as to when or where Florence might have married a Davies, Harry Gladstone, or Frederich Sprague. I have searched BMD records in UK and pertinent websited for Quebec.

I did go to the RAOGK-BC website but did not see anyone offering lookups for Duncan or North Cowichan. I viewed the Mt View Cem and North Cowichan websites.

It will be OK if I can't get Florence's obit. I just thought it would be helpful.
Again, much thanks for responding. Bettye

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 1:48AM GMT
Surnames: SPRAGUE
Hi, Try Victoria, Vancouver Island. Volunteers - have access to the Provincial Archive in Victoria.
Provincial Archive holds newspapers - can be searched for Obituaries.

Do you have the registrations ?? - Informant's may be family members. though the deaths occured some time ago-there may still be a possiblilty to follow up on the informants.
Funeral Homes - mentioned in the Registrations -
May take information for the Registration of Death.
May take information if an obituary is to be published.
Take information - not required for the Registration of death - or the Obituary. *eg.names of family members,whether obits are to be copied elsewhere, Names of pall bearers - who paid for funeral, cemetery expenses etc - all which may lead to to some helpful information.
**There may be concern these days - re the privacy of the information - may be more available to a direct family member - *the grandson.

Cheers, Stella

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 1:53AM GMT
Yes, I am aware of those possibilities. I have the gson applying for his father's military records. Father died when he was 3 and all he knows is what little his mother told him.
I found his parents marriage record in Quebec records. That is how we learned the name of Annie's parents as well as those of John Allison.

Time for dinner. Thanks a bunch.

Bettye

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 2:53AM GMT
Hi Bettye,

I see that she is buried in the Mountain View Cemetery in Duncan so I will check that paper also. Did you want a copy of the death certificate?

Judy

Posted: 25 Apr 2010 3:15AM GMT
Judy, I am only interested in any descendants listed in an obit for Mary Ann Florence Sprague. Her gson knows zero about Florence or any children other than his mother, Annie. I have posted what little he knows and what info I have been able to find over the past week of research.

Thanks, Bettye

Posted: 3 May 2010 11:44PM GMT
Hi Bettye,

I have a couple of interesting documents to scan to you after looking at the death certificate for Frederick Thomas Sprague - jumawa@shaw.ca

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions