Search for content in message boards

Jane E Munroe b.1914 - Lancour

Jane E Munroe b.1914 - Lancour

Posted: 15 May 2010 4:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Munroe, Townsend, Lancour
I am looking for the family of Jane E Munroe b.1914 in Canning Town, London. Jane is the sister of my Nan, Lilian Rose. My surname is Townsend. I know Jane married a Sgt from the Army and emigrated to Canada. Jane had two boys. One called Ronald. We are unsure of other boy's name. Jane's married name is Lancour.

Any information would be much appreciated. To make contact after all these years would be amazing.

Re: Jane E Munroe b.1914 - Lancour

Posted: 15 May 2010 7:27PM GMT
Surnames: LANCOUR, MUNROE
Hi, You have posted your query to the Genearl Message Board for British Columbia.
Do you belive that Jane E. LANCOUR - nee MUNROE and family settled in British Columbia?
If Not]
Have you posted to other Message Boards in Canada.
Posting to the Canada GenWeb Message Board may prove helpful.
Message to the GenWeb Message Board - is Gatewayed to the Rootsweb Canada GenWeb Mail List - with many subscribers in Canada and elsewhere.
Canada GenWeb Mail List - is also Gatewayed to other Provincial Mail Lists - those that accept Gatewayed messages - thus giving you a much greater chance for success.

Searching Provincial Archive of BC - finds 2 LANCOUR deaths
Sophia Zoe LANCOUR -85 - 1974 -Kamloops BC
Ambrose LANCOUR -78 - 1972 -Vernon BC.

Searching Alberta GenWeb Local History Book site
*Volunteer Lookup
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~canab/lookatha.html
LANCOUR; Forests, Furrows and Faith; Athabasca
Families were requested to submit family stories/ histories to the project. Not everyone did

Searching Online White Pages Directory MyTelus.com
finds 7 LANCOUR surnames Nationwide - Canada.
All 7 in British Columbia.
Cranbrook BC 1. Kelowna BC. 3. Vernon 1. Winfield 1.
Location not shown 1.

Cheers, Stella
Cheers & Good Luck, Stella

Posted: 15 May 2010 8:27PM GMT
Hi thanks for your very helpful reply.

Yes, Jane Lancour (nee Munroe) and her family settled in Canadad in 1945/46.

I will look on MyTelus.com and search other sites as well.

Thanks for the pointers.

Regards

Posted: 16 May 2010 9:23PM GMT
Hi

I found a Jane E. Lancourt 6 May 1914 - 5 Jun 1988 and Sherwood J. Lancourt 19 Jul 1915 - 26 Dec 1996 both died Fond Du Lac, Wisconsin.

Judy

Posted: 16 May 2010 9:42PM GMT
Thank you for your reply. I knew Jane was born in 1914. Silly question but did they die in Canada? They emigrated there in 1946.

Thank you for the information.

Sandra

Posted: 17 May 2010 12:32AM GMT
No, these dates were taken from the US Social Security Index.

Judy

Posted: 17 May 2010 11:06AM GMT
I have posted her migration into Canada, with her son, on your other message board

Posted: 26 Dec 2011 1:05AM GMT
I was searching for my great-grandfather's obituary when I found this thread. Sherwood Lancourt and Jane Lancourt were my great-grandparents. Our family has no record of any migration to Canada. Sherwood was born in Duluth, Minnesota, USA and Jane was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA. Is there any way you could send me that migration information to Canada to make sure it's not another Jane Lancour(t)? The other thread you were referring to has been deleted. Thanks for the information in advance!

Posted: 5 Jul 2012 6:27PM GMT
I think I can help your search somewhat. I recently found a family history article on the family of Peter Lancour of Donatville, Alberta, Canada written by his granddaughter, Georgeann (Lancour) Price. In it, she writes the following about her brother Willard Lancour (nicknamed "Bud"):

"In 1942 Bud went overseas--married an English girl--had two sons (Ron and Ken). After the war, due to Father's ill health, they sold the farm to the Bob Camerons (Weevone) and moved to Merritt where they bought and operated the Merritt Dairy--until 1949. Bud then went on his own and the old folks bought a small ranch on the Coldwater River."

ancestry.com has an index of English marriages which has the following entry for Willard Lancour:

England & Wales, Marriage Index: 1916-2005

Name: Willard A Lancour
Spouse Surname: Munroe
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1945
Registration district: West Ham
Inferred County: Essex
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 147

and for Jane Munroe:

Name: Jane E Munroe
Spouse Surname: Lancor Or Lincourt
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1945
Registration district: West Ham
Inferred County: Essex
Volume Number: 4a
Page Number: 147

This seems to match up well with your description. They also have a birth record for a Ronald W. Lancour with a mother's maiden name of Munroe born in "Oct-Nov-Dec 1945".

Willard Lancour is the son of Ambrose Peter LANCOUR (1893-1972), who was the youngest son of Pierre Michel (Peter Mitchell) LANCOUR (also spelled LANCOURT, LINCOURT, etc.) and his wife Marie Louise Coderre. Ambrose was born in Chippewa County, Wisconsin to a French-Canadian family and moved to Alberta with much of the rest of the family somewhere around 1910-1912. Ambrose ultimately moved to Kamloops, British Columbia.

I have very little on Willard and his family. Until I found the article I mentioned before, I had no information on Ambrose's children. I am the great-grandson of Ambrose's eldest sister Marie Emily "Alphonsine" (Lancour) LYSAGHT.

The full text of the Lancour article can be found at http://www.ourroots.ca/toc.aspx?id=9107&qryID=3e0b84...

(The article starts on page 380 -- just search for "Lancour")

Posted: 12 Nov 2012 3:10AM GMT
hi, I am the daughter of Janes deceased husbands sister. Jane died a few months ago. The woman referred to in another reply, Georgean Price, is my aunt. If you would like to speak to her or e=mail her, email me and I will give you the contact info for her. She is 93, very sharp minded.
good luck, rose anderson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic