Search for content in message boards

Chulumovich / Culumovic

Chulumovich / Culumovic

Posted: 20 Jan 2012 7:43PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Chulumovich, Culumovic
Hi, I am trying to find info on my great grandfather Stephen Chulumovich (possibly Stjephan Culumovic). He was born in Croatia around 1900 and eventually moved to Sioux Lookout, Ontario, Canada. It was there that he married Rose Smith (B: unk, D: abt 1968). The last name has been changed to Chumm (my mother's maiden name) but anyone with leads or info, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Chulumovich / Culumovic

Posted: 8 Aug 2012 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: Culumovic
Hi just thought I would help you out, Im not related but I did a search for you. This maybe the one your looking for. You need to keep in mind the countries of Europe have changed compared to the time he was born. I can't find any other info on him. -Regards Brad

Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 about Stjepan Culumovic
Name: Stjepan Culumovic
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903
Birth Country: Yugoslavia
Date of Arrival: 13 Mar 1926
Vessel: Ausonia
Search Ship Database: View the 'Ausonia' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Port of Departure: Cherbourg, France
Roll: T-14804

View original image

Save This Record
Attach this record to a person in your tree as a source record, or save for later evaluation.
Save
Source Information:
Ancestry.com. Canadian Passenger Lists, 1865-1935 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2010.

Original data:
Passenger Lists, 1865–1935. Microfilm Publications T-479 to T-520, T-4689 to T-4874, T-14700 to T-14939, C-4511 to C-4542. Library and Archives Canada, n.d. RG 76-C. Department of Employment and Immigration fonds. Library and Archives Canada Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 2:28PM GMT
Yugoslavia was not created until the end of WWI. He would have been born in the Austro-Hungarian empire.

I did find a marriage for a Peter Culumovic in Sudbury in the parish records of St. Trinity, born December 1915 in Croatia; names his parents as Gregory Culumovic and Mande Urimovic; dated March 12, 1949. He may be a brother or a cousin to your Stephen.

The passenger record for Stjepan indicates he was born in Prvanselo, Yugoslavia; naturalized on 15 April 1931 (Registration #415743); gives his wife, Manda in Prvanselo as his next of kin at home. Says he was bound for Winnipeg.

From the same village, there is a Marko who arrives in 1928, also bound for Winnipeg; gives his wife, Mare, as his next of kin at home.

Also in 1928, a Mile, born 1895, arrives, also from the same village, also bound for Winnipeg.

In 1936, I find Manda (see wife of Stjepan above) arriving in Canada, arriving through the US, bound for her husband Stike (?) in Port Colborne, Ontario.

Alexander may have ended up in Rouyn, Quebec, where I find baptisms for his children in 1936.

I did find a death record for a child, Mary, of Steve Chulumovich & Rose Smith, aged 26 days, in October 1938 in Sioux Lookout.

Alexander and his wife show up in Timiskaming in 1933 with the death of a child, George Victor, aged 18 days; informant is the mother of Rouyn.

http://www.canadianheadstones.com/on/view.php?id=106362

There is an online tree at Ancestry.ca giving Stephen's birthdate as 9 November 1900 in Lika-Senj, Crotia; died in 1974 in Sioux Lookout. From that tree, it would seem that only one of the children changed the name to Chumm; others retained the Chulumovich spelling.

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 4:28PM GMT
Your great grandfather’s marriage registration to Rose Smith should list his birthplace and the names of his parents. They do not appear to have been married in or before 1928…
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=7921

If they were married after 1928, given they are both deceased, you as extended next of kin, can order ($22) a certified copy of marriage registration from the (Ontario) Office of the Registrar General.
https://www.orgforms.gov.on.ca/eForms/start.do

Your great grandfather would have had to register in the 1940 National Registration. He would have had to list his place and country of birth and that of his parents. You can order ($51.26) a copy of his 1940 National Registration from Statistics Canada.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/022/022-911.007-e.html

Posted: 9 Aug 2012 9:01PM GMT
Try Canada411.

There are some Culumovics and Chumms listed.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions