Search for content in message boards

OLD TOWN POCATELLO

OLD TOWN POCATELLO

Posted: 9 Nov 2007 11:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello,
I am looking for any information re Pocatello, ID during the 1940's. Bars, clubs, gambling, horse racing, things of that nature. Also, boarding houses. Especially during WWII.
Thanks.

Re: OLD TOWN POCATELLO

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 6:34PM GMT
You might want to try:
Bannock County Historical Society
3000 Alvord Loop
Pocatello, ID 83201
(208) 233-0434

They are very helpful, and have a wealth of information from that era.
Judy Damewood

Posted: 10 Nov 2007 8:53PM GMT
Thanks Judy, will do.

Posted: 21 Nov 2007 8:34AM GMT
Surnames: STEVENSON
Can anyone tell me the name of an orphanage in Pocatello in operation about 1914 or 1915. A family of four boys (STEVENSON) was removed from a hotel in Jerome. The two older boys were in a "separate" part of the orphanage from the younger boys. There was some connection with a church which baptized in a near-by river. Any information about such an institution would be very helpful. On the map I found an orphanage road but that is my only clue.

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 4:14PM GMT
I grew up in Pocatello in the 1950s (until the 70s) and I don't remember an Orphanage Rd. Do you know other streets close to it? My youngest son lives and works near Old Town.

The river that ran through town is the Portneuf. I know of a Catholic church and LDS church ward that were in that area and one of the hospitals was called St. Anthony's.

Hope that helps. I'll check my resources and see if they know of an orphanage.

Nancy

Posted: 28 Aug 2008 6:12PM GMT
Old Town has a web page. Perhaps contacting someone from it will help you with your search
http://www.oldtownpocatello.com/

Also, someone from the cemetery looked up a name, to see if there was a grave, for me.
http://www.pocatello.us/Cemetery/Cemetery.htm

Nancy

Posted: 1 Sep 2008 4:19AM GMT
I found a neat digital image library for Idaho, with early images. I haven't looked through all of them but I did see som old images from Bannock County.

http://idahodocs.cdmhost.com/index.php

Nancy

Posted: 9 Sep 2008 5:12AM GMT
I thought I had found Orphanage Rd. in Pocatello on Streets and Trips. But when I went back to find it on the map it isn't there.

The children were apparently in Jerome Idaho when found abandoned in a hotel room in 1913 or 1914. I know the 4 boys were taken to an orphanage but the information is scant and I haven't been able to trace where they were.

Thanks for your reply. I am guessing the town that had the orphanage may not have been Pocatello.

Erma

Posted: 9 Sep 2008 2:05PM GMT
Nancy,
Given you grew up in Pocatello during the 1950's, do you know anything about the Keystone Hotel that was on East Center St.?
Thanks,
Sherry

Posted: 9 Sep 2008 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: Porter
I'll keep it in mind on my genealogical journey and post if I find anything. Jerome, Burley, etc. are the area of my grandma Porter's home at the time of her death.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic