Search for content in message boards

William Riley Simons 1848-1908 - Arkansas

William Riley Simons 1848-1908 - Arkansas

Posted: 30 Jan 2007 2:46AM GMT
Classification: Query
Researching William Riley Simons (1848 to 1909)and his marriages to 1)Mahala Ice., 2)Mary Ann Sprague and later 3)Minettie I. Sprague. Have his children with each wife, date of birth and death, burial, but would like info. on collateral families, but especially his parents or siblings. They lived in Arkansas and sometimes Missouri. Don't know where his parents came from or their names. Many thanks for any hints or direction.

Re: William Riley Simons 1848-1908 - Arkansas

Posted: 7 Apr 2007 2:43AM GMT
Surnames: Simons
Hi!

Unfortunately I don't think anyone has much information on William's parents. I am told he is listed as living with his mother Elizabeth (maiden name unknown) and step-father James M. Sneed in Hamilton Co. IL in the 1860 census. They previously appear in the 1850 Izard County AR census, where a William R. is listed (no last name). By 1870 James and Elizabeth and family had moved to Dent Co. MO, but William R. is no longer listed in the census as a part of the household.

Posted: 8 Apr 2007 9:22PM GMT
Thanks for responding; I'll keep that info. in mind as I continue to search. Do you have any names for siblings of William R. Simons? thanks -- Cynthia

Posted: 19 May 2011 9:01PM GMT
William Riley Simons was my great grandfather. I have some information, but not a lot. I will have to hunt for it, but will be glad to share with you what I can find. My grandfathers name was James Samuel Simons and my fathers name was Garry Harold Simons. My mothers name was Eunice Leola Ferrell. My name is Janell Darlene Simons (McQuinn) and my brother is Garry Jr. He has a son Garry III who lives in Atlanta. I have a little more background but I haven't started looking again until recently so am not sure where it is. jandmc@embarqmail.com

Posted: 20 May 2011 3:16PM GMT
I have quite a bit of information on the family, but there are a few gaps that I would like your help in completing, if possible. When you locate your research, please contact me and we can compare notes. Thanks !

Posted: 28 May 2011 6:03AM GMT
Thanks for posting!

Who was your grandfather James Samuel Simon's mother? William Riley was married three times-- I don't remember the name of his first wife, but his second wife was Mary Ann Sprague and his third wife was Minnette Sprague.

William Riley had nine children with Minnette. I think two died in infancy, and the other seven were Emma, Earl, Mamie, Lizzie, Eva, Willie and Eunice. I'm descended from Earl...

The real question I have for you is if you have any information on William's parents? No one seems to have any information on who they were, although I've heard his mother's name was Elizabeth.

Posted: 28 May 2011 6:21AM GMT
Okay, I looked up James Samuel's mother on the Sprague database-- her name was Mahala Ice.

Here's a link to William Riley's page on the Sprague database: http://www.sprague-database.org/genealogy/familygroup.php?fa...

Posted: 28 May 2011 2:05PM GMT
Pretty sure her name was Elizabeth Mann. Don't have much more than that right now.
James Samuel had 6 children; Ralph, Francis, Garry Harold, Esther and Estella. All are deceased. Garry was my father.
Ralph had 1 child, Robert, now deceaed. Francis had 2 girls Marlynne and Judith, Garry had 2 children Garry Jr and Janell (McQuinn), Esther had 3 children Donna, David and Diane (Now deceased), Estella had 3 children, Gail Lynn (deceased) Elizabeth (Betty) and James (deceased).

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 9:42PM GMT
Sorry it has taken awhile to respond. A new computer in June meant a new FTM and I have to relearn everything!

This is the first time I have heard William Riley Simons' mother being named Elizabeth Mann as a possibility. I have heard Elizabeth Lawrene from the few others out there researching this family.

Did your James Samuel Simons and decendants pretty much stay in Illinois or Missouri? Thanks for providing the names of his decendants. I'm hopeful to run into someone also researching.

Posted: 6 Sep 2011 9:45PM GMT
P.S. My new FTM said we are half second cousins 1 time removed. The new program has lots of bells and whistles.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | New Terms and Conditions