Search for content in message boards

summerly/summerville/somerville/someril/holleran/mannion

summerly/summerville/somerville/someril/holleran/mannion

Posted: 13 Apr 2010 2:12PM GMT
Classification: Query
Im looking for family of a John summerville/summerly who married a honor holleran in clonbur, my g.g.grandfather martin summerly/summerville (their son) was born Ballynunough approx 1860/1870 and i know he had a brother patrick who was born clonbur in 1869 patrick married catherine mannion in 1900 and there was also sisters of martin and patrick, Biddy born 1866, Kitty born 1872 and Honor born 1876 all clonbur. Martin moved to england in 1890s and patrick moved to england in 1900/1901 but i think patrick returned back to clonbur,ireland to live between 1920 and 1939. I am looking for more info on their parents John and Honor also if they had any other children. I know they were roman catholics. Thank you Ann

Re: summerly/summerville/somerville/someril/holleran/mannion

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 6:34AM GMT
I have a CD from the Latter Day Saints with Civil births and marriages. There are only two of Patrick and Honor Holleran's children:

Patrick Summerly born 1869 15 Nov. #441 Cloonbur, Galway
Microfilm#101198

Kitty Summerly, born 1 May 1872,Cloonbur No.l Galway #255854

I came across all the spellings that you list in several resources. Griffith Valuations has most spelled Summerville.
www.failteromhat.com and www.askaboutireland.ie

In the www.eircomphonebook.ie Galway, are 6 Summerville's and 1 is in Clonbur. Might be worth letters to all with the information you know, no postal codes required outside Dublin. You can use the 'browse by location' for other
counties.

The 1911 Census has a family of Summerly's

Michael Summerly, Doughiska, Ballintemple at 60
wife Margaret 54, married 25 yrs. 5 birth, 4 living, all born Galway, parents cannot read & write
Thomas 18, Ellen 20

There are 30 listings for Summerville, Cloonbur, Galway
also two persons with the surname Summerville Martin and Summerville Simon??

www.censusfinder.com United Kingdom+Ireland+Galway
www.igp-web.com + Galway

Cemetary inscriptions can provide good family connections.

www.nationalarchives.ie

I was going to try the UK Census but with the names making it very difficult, I would look if you don't have access.

wwwfamilysearch.org PILOT found under search records, I have never had so little success with a name. When I use Galway as the place I get 0 records, but if I just put Ireland a number of records appear.

Unusual for people to have more than one name. Note one
Bertha Summerville Marbaugh in Ohio, USA and other records.

Annette Code
'genealogy for fun'

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 9:14AM GMT
Thank you so much for that information Annette its very useful.

You have found 2 of the children of John and Honor the other ones which I found were

Name: Martin Someril Date of Baptism / Birth: 30/09/1860
Address: Ballynonagh Parish / District: CLONBUR
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: John Someril Mother: Honor Holeran
------------------
Biddy Summerly Date of Baptism / Birth: 3/7/1866
------------------
Honor Summerville Date of Baptism / Birth: 18/12/1876

Can I ask you about the surname Summerville Martin and Summerville Simon, I know through doing research in England that some ancestors have also put the mothers maiden name into the middle of the childs name or do you think they are just middle names for these 2 people?

I am wanting to visit Ireland to have a look through the records to see if I can find the marriage of John Summerville and Honor Holleran also to see if I can find out any other information about this family and I know they were Roman Catholics do you know where would hold this information please.

Thank you again so much for your time and information.
Ann

Posted: 23 Apr 2010 2:40PM GMT
Roman Catholic records are difficult compared to Church of Ireland. I was born in the UK but live in Canada if you think I live in Ireland, unfortunately no. Unless you pay a genealogist you pretty much have to go there.

There is a online bmd for Galway. There are sparse records for Summerly's. It is divided into West and East. The record you get give you pretty complete information, if you email me directly codeannette@yahoo.ca I can give you the name, policy of rootsweb/ancestry don't allow me to use it and just remove the whole posting.

The National Library in Dublin has microfilm for RC to 1890 and after that records are in local custody and need to be searched in person. Each parish has its own records so my advice would be is to find the email address of the Parish and ask if you could see the registers, not all are forthcoming.Some are good, some not. I had a friend go two years ago and some of the clergy were not happy and in one case downright rude but they hadn't made appointments either. However, a graveyard has amazing amounts of information on 'some gravestones' of the inscriptions and in some cases a whole family tree.
The good thing about your family is you know the Parish already so you have a head start on most people.

I can't remember if I told you about the national archives 1911 census, www.nationalarchive.ie has a goodly number
Summerly's and all but a couple were families.

The house address is there and I think if it still exists you might be able to see them on 'multimap' including a birds eye view which does circle around a house or area!! Its kind of fun. I don't know how much they have done in Ireland but the UK is certainly easy. I've seen where I grew up, my cousins house, etc.

Annette

Posted: 28 Apr 2013 4:33AM GMT
hi ann. from what can gather my great great grandfather was michael someril/summerly and he was born in ballynoonagh , clonbur galway, his father would have been thomas someril/summerly and he was married to a bridget joyce also from clonbur. my email is gsummerly@gmail.com if you want further info
Rgds G summerly
per page

Find a board about a specific topic