Search for content in message boards

Lewis Ettinger

Lewis Ettinger

Posted: 10 Oct 2012 10:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ettinger
I have been working on my loyalist lines from Ontario for about a year now, but I also have a connection with Lewis Ettinger who settled in Hants county Nova Scotia.
According to the UELAC he is not listed on the Loyalist list which I find odd since he was a Sargeant in the 2nd battalion of the 84th highland regiment. I read recently that the UE designation was applied chiefly to residents of Ontario. Wondering if that is why I couldn't find him on the list. Looking forward to any thoughts or advice from the UEL veterans on the board.

Cheers,

Bill Morrison

Re: Lewis Ettinger

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 12:02AM GMT
Bill,

I know the designation applied to those that settles in Nova Scotia (and also what later became New Brunswick) since earlier this year I was able to confirm the connection to a Loyalist that settled in Parrtown.

In my personal opinion (and I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong) but the Loyalist lists from UELAC is not an all encompassing, 100% complete list. If you can provide proof that he fits into one of the following categories (http://www.uelac.org/membership.php) then you will most likely be able to apply for the UE designation as a descendant.

- Either male or female, as of 19 April 1775, a resident of the American colonies, and joined the Royal Standard prior to the Treaty of Separation of 1783, or otherwise demonstrated loyalty to the Crown, and settled in territory remaining under the rule of the Crown; or
- a soldier who served in an American Loyalist Regiment and was disbanded in Canada; or
- a member of the Six Nations of either the Grand River or the Bay of Quinte Reserve who is descended from one whose migration was similar to that of other Loyalists.

From http://www.familytreecircles.com/introduction-to-the-ettinge... that site states, "Lewis ETTINGER, a German, immigrated to Pennsylvania, USA. There he joined the 10th Company of the 2nd Battalion of the 84th Regiment of Foot Soldiers. This occurred about December 1782." The challenge then becomes locating the proof needed by UELAC to establish the claim that he did reside in Pennsylvania and he joined the 84th Regiment of Foot.

Best of luck,
Ken McKinlay

Posted: 13 Oct 2012 4:01AM GMT
Thanks Ken,

I saw the Lewis Ettinger post and also the mention in Wikipedia. I had assumed UEL status was Canada wide, which is why I'm sort of confused as to why I can't find anything for Lewis. It was only the last month or so and I wish I could find the reference now. The main reference of the paper was that the UEL status was created/aimed for Ontario residents.
Maybe it is just that maritime UEL descendants are not pursuing it? (Which I find hard to believe).
Thats what I love about genealogy, there is always one more
stone to unturn lol!

Cheers,

Bill Morrison

Posted: 24 Jul 2013 1:05PM GMT
He should be shown as a UE (Loyalist). The 84th were recruited from Atlantic Canada, the New England States, New York and the Carolinas. The 84th had 5 companies that fought in the Carolinas. I have some particulars of Sgt. Ettinger if you need it. As you probably know, there are still Ettingers in Hants Co. etc.

Cal Craig, Bonny River, NB calbarb@xplornet.com
506 - 755-6800

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 2:37AM GMT
Hi,

I would be curious to see what you have. I just added the
info to the UELAC website and they have added Lewis on the UEL list. My grandmother was a Dobson down there so I have tons of cousins all over.
I look forward to hearing from you :)

Cheers,
Bill

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 7:38PM GMT
Hello BILL: My draft Nominal Roll for the 84th Regt, (Royal Highland
Emigrants), includes the following:

ETTINGER/ELINGER, Lewis, Pvt/Sgt. 5th & 10th Companies, Recruited 3 Sep 1776
by Cpt. Alexander MacDONALD in NY, Discharged 10 Oct 1783, [Ft. Edward,
Windsor, NS]. Other Name " EDDINGER, Ludwig in Capt. H. Hagenbuch's Coy of
Capt. P. Katchline's 2nd Bn., -Northampton County Associators, (PA.
Militia), [Patriot], P.O.W. Long Island, NY, 27 Aug 1776. Included in 84th
Muster Roll 1782 (as Lewis ETTINGER), Fort Edward NS. Promoted to Sgt. by
1783. Grantee Hants Co. NS, 1816.
Good Luck:
- CAL CRAIG.
calbarb@Xplornet.com

Posted: 30 Jul 2013 11:26PM GMT
Can you send me a copy? either that or where I can find a copy?
Thanks,
Bill

Posted: 31 Jul 2013 11:12AM GMT
Surnames: ETTINGER
Your Welcome! No, its is still in draft copy, contains over 1000 names & particulars. I hope to get it finalized & released in a year or two.
- CAL.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com | Corporate Information | New Privacy | Terms and Conditions