Search for content in message boards

Search for information on my father and my half-siblings

Search for information on my father and my half-siblings

Posted: 27 Apr 2007 12:03AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Keegan
Hi,

Re: Patrick Joseph Keegan, 1905 - 1963
I have posted before, but now have more specific information via a birth certificate...

My father was born at home in Keegan's Lane, Ballsbridge, Co. Dublin.

His father was Thomas Keegan and was a fireman.

His mother was called Mary Ann McDermott.

I am fairly positive, he had three sisters; its also possible, that he had a brother who went to Australia, but was never heard of again.

My father had five sons and a daughter by his first. They would have been born in the late 1920s/30s. One of these sons, probably the eldest, is called Thomas. I have some evidence, that at one time, Thomas (Tommy) was in London (Acton?)

I want to find out more about my father, grandparents, aunts etc. If any of my siblings are still living, it would be my dearest wish to make contact, before it's too late...

If anybody has any suggestions about possible next steps, I would be deeply grateful.

Regards,
Janet Keegan

Re: Search for information on my father and my half-siblings

Posted: 4 Jun 2007 8:18PM GMT
Hi, I have no information that can really help you but when I saw your post I had to reply. My ancestors lived in Keegans Lane in Ballsbridge, in fact I have records going back to 1864 when registration began listing births and deaths in Keegans Lane. In the 1901 Census records and the 1911 records I see your grandfather listed at no. 11 and and my great grandparents lived at no. 10 (Humphreys). My other great grandparents lived at no. 16 (O'Haras). I lived at no.14 until I was nine years old and I had an aunt living at no. 13 until she died in 1998. Keegans Lane was renamed Ballsbridge Avenue some time after 1911 (not sure when). My father died recently and he was the last member of his family, he may have remembered your family. Sorry I cannot be of more help. Good luck with your search.
Catherine

Posted: 4 Jun 2007 10:38PM GMT
Surnames: KEEGAN/McDERMOTT
Hello Catherine,

I am so grateful for your post! I'm sorry that you lost your father recently. I doesn't matter how or when, to lose our parents is always a very sorrowful experience.

I have some questions I would like to ask, chiefly about the census information. I should be grateful, if you would agree to discuss this through email.

I await your response.

Janet

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 4:46PM GMT
Hi Janet,

I got your message. I can e-mail you direct if you like.
I spoke with my mother this morning and she remembers the Keegans living there. Let me know how you would like me to contact you.

Regards,

Catherine

Thomas Keegan, Anne McDermott, Patrick Keegan and Sisters

Posted: 5 Jun 2007 6:04PM GMT
Surnames: KEEGAN/McDERMOTT
Hi Catherine,

That is fabulolus news! You have already helped me - I have just been looking at Ballsbridge Ave on Google Earth! I had looked and looked for Keegan's Ave, and had come to the conclusion that it had been flattened for redevelopment.

Thank you so much for your contact.

My email address is janetmkeegan@yahoo.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you.

Janet

Re: Thomas Keegan, Anne McDermott, Patrick Keegan and Sisters

Posted: 9 Jun 2007 10:46AM GMT
Hello Janet,

I was wondering if you were successful having the National Archives search the 1901 and 1911 census microfilms for you for your Keegans information?

Regards.
Eilis O'Hara

Re: Thomas Keegan, Anne McDermott, Patrick Keegan and Sisters

Posted: 10 Jun 2007 4:08PM GMT
Hi Eilis, no news - will contact you as and when. Janet
per page

Find a board about a specific topic